Decorium - Decorium sells cheap offshore-made furniture at a huge mark-up and doesn't stand behind their products or warranties

Posted on Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 at 3:10pm CST by a4bb48b5

Product: Decoro Upholstered Sofa

Company: Decorium

Location: 363 Supertest Road
Toronto, On, M3J 2M4, CA

URL: http://www.decorium.com/

I purchased a Decoro Upholstered Sofa from Decorium, along with a leather recliner chair. After waiting FOUR MONTHS for these items to be made and shipped from China, they arrived. The chair had a flaw in the leather, but Decorium wouldn't do anything about that. Since then, the chair has basically fallen apart - the arm has separated from the chair seat part. It is very poor quality. However, that is not my biggest issue.

The sofa I purchased was manufactured by Decoro and had a "lifetime limited warranty" on the frame, guaranteeing it would be free from defects in materials and workmanship with normal use. I assure you that we do not use the sofa for more than its intended purposes, but the wood frame is warped quite severely, resulting in the centre of the sofa sitting about an inch and a half lower than the sides. The sofa is caving in.

The warranty booklet says that to make a claim, you need to go through the store, so I contacted Decorium. They no longer sells Decoro products, I was told (and further research tells me they went out of business last year). I asked if, as a matter of goodwill, Decorium could do anything to help me out. After all, I paid more than $1600 for this microfibre sofa which I'm sure cost them only a very small fraction of that.

I was unable to speak to a manager and told plainly that Decorium could not absorb the cost of the repair. I understand that the manufacturer has gone out of business, but doesn't Decorium have an interest in taking care of their customers or at least ATTEMPTING to make them happy? Apparently their goal is not to earn the loyal trust of satisfied customers, but to take their money and run.

If you are a potential customer, I would now recommend that you do the same. After all, if a huge Decor Emporium, as they see themselves, cannot "afford" to take care of their customer, why would you want to give them your business? This is not the first horror story I've heard about Decorium not standing behind their products.

5c0212b6, 2010-02-25, 10:45AM CST

I would like to take the opportunity to reply to your posted complaint on complaints.com pertaining to your 2005 purchase of a Sofa and Recliner. As you stated in your write up, the sofa was a product of Decoro, which offered a lifetime warranty directly. Unfortunately, Decoro went out of business and is no longer a supplier for Decorium. Decorium cannot extend lifetime warranties for manufactures that go out of business. However, we most definitely stand behind our product and service our customers. We have a very strong customer service team and believe in our ability to service and satisfy our customers.

We have no indication in our system that anything was reported regarding the initial flaw in the leather of your chair. The order was picked up, so we would have inspected these items and we are very sorry that the flaw was over looked. Had it been reported within a year, we would have gladly serviced it and if service failed, we would have replaced your item.

Decorium carries product from all around the world. Our 50, 000 square foot showroom is filled of product from all countries, targeting home fashions for all price points to meet the needs of all customers. We strive to be able to provide a Designer look without the designer pricing so that home fashion is attainable and affordable to everyone. This is not something we shy away from sharing with our customers. We want our customers to feel confident in their decisions prior to purchasing our furniture.

We would like to invite you to contact us directly and we would be more than happy to go over some options with you.

You can contact us directly at 416-736-6120 and speak with Maribeth in Customer Service.

Decorium Service Team

eef68149, 2010-05-31, 02:41PM CDT

As a matter of fact, I totally agree with you. They just want your money and they don't care about the costumer. I think the whole store is a scam. Many of the sales people try to sell you their staff and they are not ashamed to lie right on your face. They would say anything to get you to buy. What is more disturbing is that one of the owners, Howard Forberg, has the same attitude. He called me the next day of me purchasing a dinning room set and told me that he cancelled my order because he wasn't satisfied with the deal I was able to get from the manager. That is unheard of!!!! Which store has cancelled an order before because of the manager decided to give a costumer a discount? If he really cared about the costumer and was thoughtful about making costumers happy, even if he lost $100 or $200, which of course he didn't, he would have not done that. A decent owner would let that go and talk to the manager and tell him/her to not give a discount more than 15% off. The discount really was 15%, but they wanted to make as much as they could. They also advertise deals which they do not honour. They do that just to get you to the store. Let me give you an example; they had advertised that if you spend $2000 or more you would get a trip to Las Vegas. What they don't advertise is that they do not give you that trip if you get any discounts even if you spend $10000. They said even $10 discount will take the trip away. I spent $4000 after the discount and because I got the discount, they didn't give me the trip. Decorium is a store that I would never even go to and I would strongly recommend to others to stay as far as they can from that store.

eef68149, 2010-06-01, 11:26AM CDT

05c6229f, 2010-12-10, 05:28PM CST

This is not unheard of from Decorium. They seem to have a repuatation to get the customers in through fake advertising and then take your money and run. I knew someone who also bought furniture on the premise of getting a deal only to be called the next day by "Mr. Forberg" who explained to my friend that the price will not be honoured. My friend was also told that the furniture came from North America only to discover later that it came from China. Decorium tries to come off as a store selling high quality furntire that warrants the high price tag price but is really out just to make a quick sale by scamming you any way they can. I would avoid this store at all costs and encourage people to shop at a store that is not out to scam their customers