www.NewspaperArchives.com and www.heritagemicrofilm.com - NewspaperArchive.com / HeritageMicrofilm.com

Posted on Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 at 7:55pm CST by 88057583

Product: Microfilming

Company: www.NewspaperArchives.com and www.heritagemicrofilm.com

Location: Heritage Microfilm, Inc 4049 21st Avenue SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404, IA, 52404, US

URL: http://www.newspaperarchives.com & www.heritagemicrofilm.com/

I attempted to accept a 7 day free trial to NewspaperArchive.com on Nov 21, 2010. I filled out the required information, which included a credit card number but with the understanding that the card would not be charged until after the seven days if I did not cancel. After completing the registration, I was immediately allowed to search and did a couple of searches just to see how it worked. I DID NOT do any log in or anything else for access. After I left the site and went to my email, there was an email from my credit card which indicated that my card had been charged already. I immediately sent an email to the site indicating that I was registering for the 7 day free trial and was not yet subscribing to the service. The next day I received an email stating that I had signed up for a 1 year subscription and there was no refund as stated in their policy. I also called and spoke to a representative who also stated that regardless of what I "intended to do" I had subscribed to the service for a year. The lady said I had logged in and used the service already which I had not. I received a password in an email which I received AFTER I left the site that evening so could not possible have logged in. They did offer to "reduce the subscription" to a quarter which would reduce the price from $71.00 to $29 dollars. I declined that and suggested that their web information was misleading at the least and actually fraudulent. I assured the lady that I would do my best to help prevent others from being ripped off like I have been.

BE AWARE THAT IF YOU ATTEMPT TO USE THE 7 DAY TRIAL, YOU WILL BE SIGNING UP FOR ONE YEAR AND YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL BE CHARGED AND NO REFUNDS.

I probably have lost my $71.00 but will certainly be able to help our libraries and historical societies keep from being ripped off by this operation. We will not be using any part of this organization for any newspaper access or microfilming in the future. Also, be aware that Iowa has VERY weak consumer protection (and I live in Iowa so am very aware of this aspect of business in Iowa) so it is better to avoid trying to do any kind of business by mail or on line with Iowa businesses.