Citibank - Citibank driving loyal customers away with new fees

Location: Customer Service Center P.O. Box 6218
SIOUX FALLS, SD, 57117-6218, US

URL: http://www.citibank.com/

Category: Business, Finances

After being a loyal credit card customer of 20+ years in good standing, I was insulted to get notified that my account was one of the accounts "chosen" to have a new annual fee of $60 starting April 1, 2010. I could avoid this fee by charging $2400 a year...a ridiculous requirement imposed on me. It was simpler to close my account (which I did), as I had no balance owed. What kind of business model drives away the credit customers that actually pay their cards?? Not only did they lose this account...they have lost any future business I would consider with them. I have multiple other credit cards with little or no balances, that I will be glad to use in the future. I will admit, I never complained about Citibank or praised them in the past...but I will now jump at the chance to tell people to avoid them at all costs.

f86ef901, 2010-05-06, 06:39PM CDT

I am very organized and I know that I did not receive notification of this new annual fee of $60. Today 5-6-10, I noticed this $60 charge on my account. I had this card for years without any problem and always paid in full. I promptly called them and told them it was illegal to charge a card without proper notification. Of course they claimed they sent a notice. It made me so angry... I told them to cancel the account. I can't believe a company can become such idiots so quickly. They should require a signature to charge, just like all the other merchants do when you purchase something.