Hewlett-Packard Company - HP does not honor warranty issues

Company: Hewlett-Packard Company

Location: 3000 Hanover Street
Palo Alto, Ca, 94304-1185, US

URL: http://www.hp.com/

My wife has bought an HP Pavilion DV6448se Notebook PC. One month ago its wireless adapter simply ceased working. I started to search for a solution in internet and have faced hundreds of similar complaints in different computers from HP. All of them had their wireless adapter, a Broadcom board, failing to work. People complained that HP did not find the problem or it offer temporary fixes and always charged for it until it finally recognized the computers had a problem.

In the webpages http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01300427#c01300427_dv64 and http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN, HP offers to fix some of these computers for free if a BIOS update does not solve the problem. I performed the update and my wifes computer continues to have the defect. Since it is included in the list of defective computers, I have contacted HP to get the problem solved and have been informed the Limited Warranty Service Enhancement has expired in September 2009.

To make things worse, we have bought the computer in the USA, but we live in Brazil. Even so, I believed HP would make the right thing and offer us a fix for the computer for free, once it knows the motherboard has a problem and it should be replaced. It didnt, or else, HP chose to charge me US$ 259 for getting my defective computer fixed. And to get it fixed for something that is its responsibility, not mine. The fact its Limited Warranty Service Enhancement has expired in September 2009, something that is not stated in these webpages I have found, does not eliminate the fact HP has used defective motherboards in its computers. And that it admits having done so.

This is why I have decided to get in touch with all consumer protection services I am aware of and to warn people about the risk they are getting into when they choose to buy an HP product. The company first pretends it has nothing to do with the problem, then offers solutions that do not solve it, sometimes charging for them, and finally admits the problem, but offers limited free services for getting it fixed. Worst of all, I have read some reports the so called fix has not fixed anything.

I was a regular HP client and have another computer and a printer from the company, but will never buy an HP product again. And I will also advise everyone I know not to do the same, since the company does not honor the quality we expect from it. Nor in its products, nor in the treatment its consumers deserve.

All the best,