CA EDD UNEMPLOYMENT

Posted on Thursday, April 15th, 2010 at 2:41pm CDT by b93a942b

Company: Not Available

Location: Sacramento, CA, US

It seems as if CA EDD Unemployment office is committed to hiring Customer Service Reps who have the equivalent of a 5th grade education.

I was denied 15 weeks of federal extension benefits due to internal errors at EDD and ignorant interpretations of statements that I had made via email regarding efforts/action to find employment.

I have paid dearly into the system like every other CA tax payer. We deserve at minimum a system that can handle simple requests and alleviate basic issues that arise.

I had contacted EDD by email and asked for a return call - it is impossible to connect directly to a person via calling the numbers provided on EDD website.

My issue revolved around a need to head back East temporarily to take care of my mother-in-law who was ill. I wanted to make sure that I could send in claim forms from the East Coast with no issues(my tenant was willing to fedex to the East Coast).

The EDD representative said "why don't you just change your address temporarily to your mother-in-laws so you will be guaranteed to get the claim forms". I was a bit surprised at the suggestion, knowing that changing addresses or anything for that matter was liable to jeopardize your claim or at least take you back to square one.

So ... the representative takes down the temporary address and asks me to hold while she finishes typing. Then she says "you know that this will effect your eligibility to receive Federal Extensions"

So ... I say well, change it back to original address then. The rep then says " YOU MADE A STATEMENT OF FACT - I CAN'T CHANGE IT BACK". What the fu#! ?

So ... I said ok, then I will just wait a day and submit and address change - online - back to the original address. Turns out this act automatically suspends benefits until EDD can set up a phone interview (takes one month)to inquire why and confirm that you changed addresses - nice system.

Meanwhile the EDD system crashed - I got disconnected from the call. About a 1/2 hr later, I picked up a Voice Mail from the EDD rep confirming that the system crashed ... however they are not supposed to make more than one telephone call out, thus she won't be calling again. What the fu#! ?

3 days later I receive a letter with a date for a phone interview - 1 month out. A bit agitated, I email another request for a phone call and try to spell out what actions lead to the phone interview.

I actually get a call in a timely fashion. This representative digested the details and instructed me to ignore the request for a phone interview as she would make changes and send the forms out to original address.

I receive the forms, fill them out and send them in on time ... only to get a rejection notice stating that I am not eligible for benefits due to relocation out of State ???

My next email to EDD is a bit more terse - asking if they have a manager who essentially capable of comprehending a simple English sentence? Amazingly enough I get a rapid email response. Real street mentality here. Apparently these folks don't like being challenged or held accountable for their actions. See the response - part in FULL CAPS - below:

YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE BENEFITS UNDER CALIFORNIA UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE CODE SECTION 1253C.YOU ARE/WERE OCCUPIED WITH PERSONAL ACTIVITIES. AFTER CONSIDERING AVAILABLE INFORMATION, THE DEPARTMENT FINDS THAT YOU DO NOT MEET THE LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR PAYMENT OF BENEFITS.

Here is our reply:

I left a message on your phone. 916 654-7401. I don't understand the message you're trying to convey with the question that you asked. What does "Would there be a manager available who has an ability to read past notes and comprehend the details that have resulted in denial of Federal extensions due?" mean? You are ineligible for unemployment benefits because of your personal activities prevent you from being available for work.

Again - what the Fu#! ???

Apparently case closed. I'm not able to reach these aholes and even if I could, to what purpose given their inability to put 2+2 together.

Apparently my personal activities - sending out 100's of resumes weekly and interviewing in both East & West Coast for jobs - is not an activity that sits well with EDD.

Next time I find myself in this position, I will simply crack open a Colt, watch cartoons and wait for my checks to arrive in the mailbox.

dde51632, 2011-01-09, 07:04AM CST