Dish Network

Posted on Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 at 12:26am CDT by 70b10112

Product: Dish Network DVR 522

Company: Dish Network

URL: http://www.Dishnetwork.com/

I called Dish Network Technical Support for an issue with my Dish DVR 522 box. In the end it was determined that I would need to replace the box. In order to receive a replacement, I would be charged $15 for a replacement to be shipped. Being a long time customer, I asked that they waive the shipping cost. They would not. I then decided to cancel the service instead of paying the shipping fee for a box that has had numerous issues from what I have found online, and I didn't want to get into a situation of paying $15 every time the box went bad. I was told I could pay $6 a month for a service contract, but I declined. In the process of cancelling, I was told I would be charged $15 for shipping if I used their label, or I could use alternative shipping methods which would still end up costing me. $15 is not much, but it is just another cost Dish Network is trying to squeeze out it's customers as they cancel. Any thoughts I had of re-using them in the future are now gone. I see how they truly operate, now. I paid the $5 lease fee for the DVR box for 4+ years. They have made plenty of money on the DVR box. They own the box, they should pay the shipping if they want it back.

d8bda891, 2010-09-03, 12:42PM CDT

I had this EXACT same issue. DVR died after 11 months. No service contract. Asked for new one was told OK but would cost $15. I said I would not pay to return their < 1yr old BAD DVR. They would not budge. I cancelled my service (customer off and on for 10 years). They sent me labels to ship equipment via UPS (yeah, would cost me $15 each). I waited. They sent a UPS truck (he had his own labels). Then they STILL charged me $30 bucks.

CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

008a25c3, 2010-12-23, 02:25PM CST

Hello, this is Mike LeMar with DISH Network customer service. Not all of our customers ship our equipment back to us, so we don't feel that it's fair to increase everyone's bill to cover the shipping cost that only some people will use. By having the $6 monthly Service Plan on your account, DISH Network will cover the cost of shipping the equipment both ways.

Hope that helps!

e5f1c98f, 2011-02-01, 08:11AM CST

Hi, this is Alicia Brink. I'm with DISH Network. I understand your frustration. When you have equipment leased through us it is still under warranty and we cover the cost to replace the equipment if needed. If a technician is required to make a home visit there is a charge for that but we will not charge you any additional fees to replace the equipment if needed. Because we understand it may be difficult for customers we do offer a service plan to help with this cost. Our service plan is like no other company out there. We have taken the needs of our customers and created a resolution for them through our service plan. Our service plan is available at any time even if you already have an existing issue. Our goal is to provide customers satisfaction.