Bernhardt Furniture Company - Bernhardt Furniture Co. and Dillards Inc.

Posted on Monday, April 12th, 2010 at 9:31pm CDT by 9e4ebc3b

Product: Bernhardt Bentley Leather Sofa

Company: Bernhardt Furniture Company

Location: 1839 Morgantown Blvd.SW
Lenoir, NC, 28645, US

DON'T BUY BERNHARDT FURNITURE FROM DILLARD'S

This is my experience of buying a Bernhardt leather sofa from Dillard's. I hope that my story would deter anyone from wasting their money by buying any Bernhardt furniture.

I purchased, in December 2005 for $2400.00, a Bernhardt leather sofa from Dillard's Department store.

In the summer of 2009, less than 4 years after purchase of the sofa, I noticed that the leather on the seat and back cushions of the sofa was cracking and splitting.

I contacted customer service with Dillard's and sent a letter Nov.19, 2009 to Mark Gastman, District Manager, explaining the situation to him.

He said he would send someone from U.S. Quality Furniture to inspect the sofa and make a report. This representative came out on Jan. 15, 2010. He said that he would make his report and that I should receive replacement covers for the seat cushions and back cushions in a couple of weeks and then he would be out to install them.

On March 3, 2010, Patrick Quinlan, Customer Service Representative from Dillard's, called me and said that their determination was that the damage of the leather was only normal wear and tear and they would do nothing about it.

On March 7, 2010, I sent a letter to each of the following persons with Bernhardt Furniture Co. of North Carolina:

G. Alex Bernhardt, Sr. - Chairman and CEO

G. Alex Bernhardt, Jr. - President, Bernhardt Residential

William B. Collett - EVP, GM, Bernhardt Residential Casegoods

Frank Cooper - EVP, GM, Bernhardt Residential Upholstery

Mark Gastman, District Manager, Dillard's Inc.

FYI, It is just my husband and myself living in our house; we also have a Lazy-Boy leather recliner purchased in 2001, that my husband sits in every day, that does not show any wear or tear to the leather. Consider this information when shopping for leather furniture.

90a9fe2e, 2011-07-09, 02:09PM CDT

I purchased a Bernhardt Bently sectional in 3/05. By 6/10, the leather started to crack on top of the seat back and pillow cushion...there was very limited use of this sofa....must be a common problem-made me wonder whether it was really leather, as I have never experienced this before with leather sofas. Would not buy this brand again!

ed24e44f, 2013-08-18, 06:10PM CDT

Several years ago we purchased from Macy's a beautiful, dark brown, sectional leather sofa made by Bernhardt. After about a year, the leather started cracking, then peeling off. At first, I thought someone had spilled something on it. Then, several of the back cushions started peeling. I then realized that the sofa that I purchased was not leather, as I was lead to believe, but some kind of thin material applied to a substrate. This thin material is now flaking and peeling off and sticks to anyone who sits on it. I just can't believe that we paid thousands for what we thought was leather but what turned out to be a total deception. When I bought it, I was told that Bernhardt was top quality. I read their FAQ on the Bernhardt website and, of course, this issue isn't addressed.

I have read about this problem on the internet. Seems that this deceptive practice is call "bicast" leather. I'm sure others have complained and Bernhardt is aware of this. What is Bernhardt's position on this? Does Bernhardt continue to sell these defective "leather" sofas, I would like for Bernhardt to replace the defective unit with a real leather sofa, which is what I paid for in the first place.