Newport-News.com - Newport-News/Spiegel Brands Commits Fraud and Gets Away With It!

Posted on Monday, September 14th, 2009 at 4:49pm CDT by a7b516b8

Product: Apparel Company

Company: Newport-News.com

Location: 5100 City Line Road
Hampton, VA, 23630, US

URL: http://Newport-News.com/

Newport-News.com is a disgrace and their customer service is indescribable. Don't ever order from them unless you are not planning to get a refund from them.

On 6/22/09 I placed an order with Newport-News.com and returned the merchandise which they received on 7/14/09. Their website states up to 30 days to receive a refund. It is now 9/14/09 and still no refund.

I've been calling leaving messages, calling customer service this whole time and no one gets back to me. Customer service is useless they tell me the same thing over and over again like robots. I've tried to contact people in corporate who transfer my emails to Michael Pettipas, Office of the President, who is another useless person that I can't get a hold of. His number is 1-800-443-4856. In case anyone needs it and might have better luck than me.

When you call in customer service. At first I was told 6 weeks to receive my refund, then another day they tell me 7 weeks. Then "give it a few more days". Today I was told 8 weeks, and that they start counting from the day the items are "processed", not the day they "receive" it. It is unacceptable to have my promptly returned items sit at the return facility for 3 weeks to wait for "processing", In 3 weeks I should have had my refund in my bank account. Just now customer service tells me the items were processed on 8/4 and I have to wait up to 6 weeks! This is not prompt, this is outrageous. When I pointed this out to the call center agents and I have asked them "Why don't you honor your return policy as stated on your website?" They say "well the website is incorrect". If it's incorrect why has not anyone corrected it. Furthermore nobody in customer service or corporate seems to care about it's customers, and no one can help me resolve this issue.

I believe this is false advertising and fraud what this company is doing and it's very bad business to take advantage of customers just because they are online. I believe their return policy is a ploy to try to steal people's money if nobody speaks up. There is no legitimate reason for this company to hold customer refunds for as long as they wish. If you state 30 days on your website, I suggest you honor it, I believe any loyal company would. This has never happened in any other place where I shop. Just because you are not face to face with a customer doesn't mean that good business practices are no longer suitable.

What they are doing is fraud and I can't believe they're getting away with doing this. I've made complaints to the BBB and Consumer Affairs who are useless and no help at all as well. I'm at the end of my rope and don't know what else to do. Don't buy from Newport-News.com/Spiegel Brands unless you want to go through this dilema with their refund system. And what's funny is I did make another order after the one I'm having problems with and had to make an exchange. It took less than two weeks for them to process my exchange!! But still no refund. I know it's because I made a purchase and not a refund. I hope they shut down one day.

6106de0c, 2010-01-27, 11:20AM CST

hi there,

right now i'm going through the EXACT same situation as you with newport news - it is totally appalling! they never ever call me back, their emails are automated & customer service is robotic. after 9 weeks they still have my money, they still have my returned merchandise & i've got poop (except for newly acquired anger management, lol). am just wondering how your situation was resolved, if ever.

feeling frustrated, helpless & at the mercy of an uncaring behemoth ... edie

e87b71b9, 2010-02-12, 11:57PM CST

I'm having the same problem with Newport News which is a disgrace. I purchased two items from them back in November 2009. I returned one item because it was of such poor quality and still have not received my refund. Also returned the other item in Dec. '09 because the snap came of while trying on the item -- did not even get a chance to wear it.

After making numerous calls and gettng the same run around each time about the refund taking 6 weeks -- it's now been it's three months and still have not received any refund for either item.

I cannot believe that this company can be allowed to cheat customers in this manner. They refuse to give refunds because they know that items they are selling is crap.

f4897f61, 2010-09-27, 05:45PM CDT

I am going through the same thing! Amazing how they can get away with this. I was going to contact the BBB also, but it's sounds like a complete waste of time and I've already wasted so much time. They are making lots and lots of money off of customers/consumers by holding onto their money and earning interest on each penny. This is fraud in the truest sense of the word.

b0d2be8d, 2011-05-13, 08:05PM CDT

Well, It's Still going on as of May 2011, I have been waiting on A refund SINCE FEB.2011. I Sent my Poor Quality Items Back the DAY I Received them. They admit they have gotten my return, But it will take 2 billing cycles to see it. Well its been 3 & still no Credit. On MY DEBIT CARD. What can be done to get your Money Back From This Peice of **** So called Company???

0701d37b, 2011-06-08, 09:57PM CDT

this is still going on. Spiegel received my return on April 28, 2011 and i have yet to get a refund. this week they told me it was processed on June 2nd. When i called today they said it can take 2 to 3 billing cycles. they do not let you speak to a supervisor or corporate office. i filed a complaint with the better business bureau, consumer affairs and wrote emails to channel 7 and channel 4 news. it is absolutly disgusting and gettin no where with anyone, next i might try writing to a councilman or senator.

f9154029, 2011-06-12, 07:13AM CDT

You MUST file complaint with your states attorney general, under the criminal fraud statute, interstate commerce. This is completely on purpose. Aren't they building a new corporate headquarters? They did it to me and I have just emailed the attorney general in Washington. Of course, with Obama at the helm nothing will be done there! Good luck. Oh, blog everywhere, complain everywhere to the media, consumer shows and segments. Be polite and factual1

d6af81bc, 2011-06-14, 03:54PM CDT

I now have a problem with Newport News, they did give me a credit, but when I tried to use it on 6/14/11 they tell me that they can not honor credits or gift card any more!! 2 weeks ago I was able to use part of my credit to order a dress in size 4 they sent me a size 14, so They told me to send it back and they would send me the right size. I sent the dress back and then find out they do not have a size 4 or 6 left, and now can not use any of my credit!

6e3b1b8e, 2011-11-04, 09:02AM CDT

Go to:

Consumer Action : Hotline Complaint Form

6e3b1b8e, 2011-11-04, 09:07AM CDT

Go to:

Consumer Action : Hotline Complaint Form

This Spiegel co has done this to hundreds of customers!