Wal-Mart destroyed my transmission

Posted on Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 at 1:10am CDT by f17750b7

Company: Not Available

This is a copy of the letter I sent to the service department:

Dear Sir,

I am writing to inform you of the problem I have had with my vehicle following service at your center on 02/27/2009. I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0 L automatic. Not long after this oil change, I began to experience a lag in my transmission. I took it to a local mechanic for the next oil change and asked him to also check my transmission. He informed me that my transmission was sealed and could only be worked on by the dealer. I was trying to save the money to take my truck to the dealer when, last week, the transmission totally stopped working.

When the dealer inspected my transmission, they discovered that it had been over-filled with too much fluid, and what was drained was a mixture of the required WS ATF and another unidentifiable fluid. They drained and refilled with the correct fluid, however my transmission still is not working. They told me they suspected that the transmission drain plug was opened in error and whoever did this overfilled it with the wrong fluid. The only choice is to replace the transmission.

I have invoices from the last 3 oil changes done at your facility. The first 2 (dated 7/19/2008 and 11/21/2008) state that the transmission fluid check was declined and then a note stating it is a sealed transmission. The most recent invoice states that the transmission fluid was checked. This is impossible as there is no dipstick, and the only way to get to the transmission is through the drain plug, losing the fluid in the process.

In light of the fact that nobody else has worked on my vehicle and the documentation that shows your facility checked my transmission fluid, I can reasonably ascertain that your last mechanic to change my oil, also inadvertently drained my transmission fluid. In addition, I feel that upon realizing the error, they attempted to hide the error by attempting to replace whatever fluid was lost with some other fluid.

I am requesting that you review this matter and contact Marshall at Merced Toyota, (209)725-9000 to arrange for replacement of my transmission at your expense. I have already spent a good deal of money towing the vehicle back and forth to Merced, as well as the transmission service that was done, not to mention my and my sons time off from work to deal with this matter. I am a single parent and I live in the mountains where there is no public transportation and cannot afford to be without my vehicle.

Sincerely,