JP Morgan Chase Bank - Fraudulent Banking Charges

Posted on Wednesday, October 28th, 2009 at 2:29pm CDT by 877766fe

Company: JP Morgan Chase Bank

Location: Baton Rouge, LA, 70826, US

URL: http://www.Chase.com/

My complaint against JP Morgan chase is for fraudulent overdraft charges to my checking account.

On Monday, October 26th at approximately 7:30pm I went online to my personal checking account with JP Morgan Chase Bank. At that time I had a positive balance of just over $68.00 with all transactions for the 26th of October already showing posted to my account with the exception of two transactions. One of the transactions not posted was for a check 4044 and the other check 1937. Check 4044 was for $ 100.00 and 1937 for $50.00. The next day, October 27th, my showed account a negative balance of $88.12. What really caught my attention was how the withdrawals were now being displayed. The two checks listed above were paid first and the charges that had already posted to my account the day before when I checked were now listed last and showing a negative balance. This caused a total of 8 overdraft fees being charged to my account. When I called JP Morgan Chase customer service I asked how they can change the order in which items were processed for the day if they were already showing withdrawn from the account. I was informed they take the highest withdrawal first and continue from highest to lowest. I explained that all these lesser charges that I was being charged overdraft fees for were already posted to my account and the balance was positive $68.00, the only two items that hadn't posted were the two checks 4044 and 1937. I was then told by Chase that was the was they processed the withdrawals and there was nothing they could do to change the outcome. I asked for a supervisor and was told they could reverse $ 70.00 of the $198.00 I was being charged. I asked about the way the charges were posted to my account when I viewed it the day before and was told they re-list the charges and the end of the day from highest to lowest.

In the end Chase would only refund $ 70.00 of the over $200.00 they took from me. The charges they levied to my account caused an additional charge of $33.00 on the 27th of October because the deposit I made on the 27th wasn't enough to cover the $198.00 they charged me in fees. These fees were taken out at the end of the day on October 27th and were more then the deposit of $250.00 I made that same day causing an additional charge on the 28th of October.

This processing scam by Chase is a just a way to charge consumers for outlandish overdraft fees. The practice is wrong and criminal. I admit I was over drawn but only on two items and should have been charged accordingly. But I was not overdrawn on the additional eight items I was being charged for and this is robbery or whatever you want to call it...its plain bad business and Chase should be ashamed.

eadc914b, 2009-11-20, 04:21PM CST

Chase Bank should be ashame...

I signed up for Chase FREE checking a little over a month ago. During this short period, I was charged $33 overdraft fee ...14 TIMES...YES 14 TIMES...that makes it out to be $462 in fees over 6 days. I was charged in one in particular day $33 FIVE times and another day $33 FOUR times for charges that were alot less than the fees. For example, $1.99, 10.17, only one was over the $33 fee of $52.95. First off, it's a checking account NOT a credit card so I made those purchases with my debit card. It's not a credit card where you purchase on credit to have overdraft protection. It's a debit card to take funds from my checking out. I would rather they reject my purchases for insufficient funds than charge me these outrageous fees, not just 1 but 14 times all together..multiple times in one day. I didn't sign up for overdraft protection so why do I have it on my account so they can gouge every last cent from me. I make $625 every 2 weeks and they just charged me fees that totals over half of my pay check. I'm a single Mom with a 7 year old. The representative and supervisor basically said "tough luck". It's Chase policy. It's OUTRAGEOUS!! I'm so upset and when I hung up the phone after talking to a representative and a supervisor in tears I'm so frustrated...I don't know what to do...If you have to charge me, why 5 times in the same day? Why $462 over 6 days? I'll accept the one time $33 fee that day but 5 times. This can't be legal!!! This needs to stop. I'm closing my account today.

eadc914b, 2009-11-20, 04:22PM CST

0e03043a, 2009-12-19, 08:43AM CST

I just experienced the SAME thing. I actually just got off the phone with Chase and I'm looking for the information to my State Attorney General and all other agencies or bodies responsible for regulating banking practices. THIS IS CORPORATE THEFT AND IT SHOULD BE ADDRESSED AS SUCH!!!

In my case, I did about 6 transactions in one day (all ATM transactions). The first 5 transactions were well within the amount in my account, only the LAST transaction (which also happened to be the largest) would have overdrawn by like $15 or so. Chase posted that last transaction FIRST and subsequently assessed overdraft charges on ALL the other first 5 transactions (already posted to the account)! I figured this was quite an easy case to show and called the stupid number that had been impaling my phone all week. The 'Supervisor' explained that while she understands what I was saying, Chase's policy is to process the largest transaction first. THIS IS A CON AND I WILL FIGHT IT WITH EVERYTHING I HAVE - INCLUDING GOING TO COURT IF I NEED TO!!!

It's not just enough to complain about it here - you NEED to take action, not only to get your money back, but to draw the attention of the appropriate authorities to this scam-practice!

I'm doing my research right now. I know there's a consumer complaint body on banking practices, once I find the information, I will come back here and post for everyone.

43072e55, 2009-12-27, 12:42AM CST

the practice you are talking about is called transaction sorting and most banks do this. As of right now, it is totally legal under current banking regulations.

877766fe, 2010-01-26, 11:49AM CST

Just a follow up. I received a letter from Chase regarding this matter. Of course they defend there practice but I did get a additional $66.00 back from them as a sign of " good will". The "Office of the Controller of Currency " is the place to file complaints directly against banks....it apprears the complaint went through the proper channels as Chase mentions my complaint to them in the letter they sent me.