xm radio - Unfair collections charge

Company: xm radio

Location: 1500 eckington Place, NE
Washington, DC, 20002, US

URL: http://www.xmradio.com/

How do I effectively fight an unfair collections claim? I have tried numerous times to cancel XM Radio. I have been using their service since 2005. I always renewed my yearly contract. I kept a credit card on file. In 2006 I bought 3 additional radios for family. In 2008 I choose to only renew my radio and cancelled the others. I requested that xm only charge renewal for the original radio. They charged me for all of them. I could not remove my credit card from the account when I went to my profile. I cancelled that card and called them and told them I would not renew for 2009. They were going to cancel my service on the spot. I told them I deserved the rest of my contracted service and they could cancel me at the end of my term. they said they could not do that but they could give me 3 months free. I said OK. At the end of that period I received a bill. I called and told them that was a free period since they over charged my credit card. They continued my "free period". I removed my radio and ignored their letters since they always had the same response. I kept getting bills for approximately $25 and requests for my credit card. They told me they were inactivating my account. Then they sent me 2 letters. One asking me to give a credit card the other telling me they were sending me to collections. I called again and asked them how could they send me to collections for 93.91 when I never renewed. They said when I renewed for 1 year there was some fine print that claimed I would pay a deactivation fee if I didn't remain a client for 2 years. Never mind I was a client since 2005. I told them there was no why I would pay that bill. I realize that is a small amount to ruin my credit rating over. I think they count on that. I feel I am being shaken down. I have unfortunately thrown away all the letters i received. I couldn't imagine they were going to do this. I thought they were just bugging me to resubscribe.

What choices do I have? Thank you.

P Habisohn