Scion - Scion TC Back Hatch Door Handle Garnish Easy To Break

Company: Scion

Location: 19001 S. Western Ave D102 PO BOX 2742 Torrance, CA 90509-2742
Torrance, Ca, 90509, US

URL: http://www.scion.com/#home

Scion TC Back Hatch Door Handle Garnish easy to break! Split from the back door just like that, no reason, just fell apart when I open my back door, I think Scion uses thin, cheap materials in their cars and it's pricey to replace when it's broken. If you've been victimized by the similar incident, please post your report. Together we can make it better, thank you for your support.

717f95ff, 2009-11-01, 07:00PM CST

Same thing happened to me....I noticed a screw was missing so I took it to Toyota of Lewesville right away....the tech broke it completely off but they would not replace it without me paying for it even though I brought it in because a screw fell off the latch..Too expensive to repair...Also both visors just broke at same time>>I feel like my car is falling apart and I take very good care of it......

3c075297, 2009-12-07, 02:00PM CST

I totally agree here. I have a 2006 TC. The lift gate support went bad at 38,000 miles. and when I went to lift the heavy hatch the handle came off in my hand. Now I have to replace the supports and handle, no help from Scion.

19ebd874, 2010-01-09, 04:54PM CST

This morning, entire trunk lid has broken off from my TC. I started searching online for solution. I found out many many people have the same problem. It is flaw, must be addressed to Scion. Here is the link how to fix it:

38351e94, 2010-01-11, 02:53PM CST

mine just broke today and toyota does not want to take the blame for it.. ridiculous.

38351e94, 2010-01-11, 02:53PM CST

93c33941, 2010-01-14, 11:57AM CST

Yes, you are totally right!!! My Back Hatch Door Handle Garnish broke just like that.. and the dealer want $160 to replace the part and that's not including the labor.

00c02775, 2010-01-27, 09:28AM CST

The Back Hatch Door Handle on my Scion tC has broken twice. In order to open the trunk you must apply pressure to a handle made of thin plastic. They designed this car with a thin plastic handle. I can't repeat that enough; a thin plastic handle that will inevitable break. I do feel like a victim.

e84ec493, 2010-01-29, 12:05PM CST

Same here I've broken two handles myself and the only reason I was able to easily get the 1st one replaced was because I had been in an accident where the other party rear ended me and I was able to get the entire hatch replaced.

Now I thought that if I was careful and gentle enough that the second hatch and handle would last me. I was wrong, despite my best attempts to reduce the amount of wear and tear on the handle and the mounts...it still broke.

I am sorely disappointed that the only thing holding that handle on to the back of my car are a few pieces of plastic.

If the design is that fragile, then the electronic trigger on the handle should pop the trunk up such that the user does not have to pull the trigger and the hatch up at the same time. This causes stress on the plastic mounts and eventually causes them to break. There should be some kind of TSB for this type of defect.

1fea6f32, 2010-02-02, 09:54PM CST

Agreed I also drive a Scion tc and my door handle to the hatch broke off in my hand. Basically there were two very small pieces of plastic that were bolted to the car and a couple of clips holding it in place also plastic. Plastic vs metal and metal will win any time. This part was poorly made. How can you think that a part where pressure is going to happen be held on with two small plastic parts about the size of a dime. Now I have to come up with a way to fix it or will cost me.

39843622, 2010-02-07, 12:03PM CST

The same thing happened to our Scion twice. And it is pricey to replace. Scion should do something to resolve this problem, it is not fair that we have to keep replacing the same part because of normal use.

1f2b45e9, 2010-02-13, 12:04PM CST

I had the handle on my 2005 TC break also. The rear hatch is a very large, heavy piece of metal and glass to rely on a plastic handle to open it. I went to dealer to see if there was any type of recall, because I have also noticed XB's with their handles taped on. Unfortunately no luck on a recall yet. Maybe if more people complain, we can all get this issue resolved.

cfe7d779, 2010-03-09, 10:09AM CST

The same thing has happened to me. I cant believe they expect a thin piece of plastic to lift the entire back hatch. Toyota needs to fix this for future cars.

0d306660, 2010-03-11, 08:20PM CST

Yup, happened to me too. Toyota dealership told me neither their warranty nor any extended warranty will cover it because it is "trim." They want $320 to replace it.

9b43afe9, 2010-04-05, 09:09PM CDT

Yes mine snapped clean off! It's ridiculous!

fe5240c8, 2010-05-12, 11:33AM CDT

The same thing has happened twice to my car. 2 times in 3 years. There is no other way to access the trunk which is frustrating. The first time it happened Scion Customer Service replaced it for free. This time they are telling me that it's considered 'wear and tear' on the car and that they replaced it once as 'goodwill' but they won't do it again. I love our Scion but am frustrated with this response from customer service since this is a pretty common occurance with this particular car.

ccbe749b, 2010-05-19, 02:23AM CDT

Same here and I've seen many other TCs driving around with this piece duct taped back on. Toyota should do a recall for this. Part of the problem is that sometimes when the electronic latch is pressed it sounds like the door has unlatched when it really hasn't and then you pull on the handle/garnish (held on by two badly designed plastic brackets) expecting the door to open. The plastic brackets break right in half leaving you holding the latch/handle/garnish in your hand.

0f424705, 2010-06-07, 02:15PM CDT

My Scion exterior sucks!!! My trunk handle broke too and the wires were hanging with the handle and scratched up my entire trunk!!

09f395bf, 2010-06-07, 05:25PM CDT

mine broke too. it was already creaking for a while so i was cautious opening my trunk but one day my bf opened it and it just broke off. he obviously couldnt drive away while it was dangling or else it would cause scratches on the back so he cut of the wires. Toyota is charging $300++ dollars to get it replaced. can believe the trunk is held on by a flimsy plastic.

e23ecad2, 2010-07-29, 09:17PM CDT

Mine became weak early in ownership so I was very careful..But finally it fell off..my toyota extended warranty was no help, I guess they do not cover trim..I am a very disatisfied customer...I will continue to complain until I am taken care of!

a012d6c4, 2010-08-08, 06:51PM CDT

mine broke about 4 month ago in the airport!

i have to cut the wire with my knife in the airport.

good thing i didnt get into trouble for showing my knife.

28af3ad1, 2010-08-27, 07:47PM CDT

The car is great. But the handle really is a piece. They should at least come out with a replacement that's tougher

d8e4e5ce, 2010-09-02, 09:11PM CDT

Yep mine broke also. I was even more disappointed when I spoke to them and their customer service SUCKED! I ordered the piece from http://www.trdsparks.com for cheap! Had to do this when someone stole the case from my passenger mirror!

f5f4f8cc, 2010-09-30, 02:36PM CDT

Mine broke this morning. I have an email into Toyota to see if they'll work with me on this. I've read it can be up to $400 to repair and I don't want to give them $400 to fix something so badly designed in the first place!

e65a7ca8, 2010-10-19, 12:23PM CDT

When I tried to open by hatch this morning the entire plastic cover ripped off. I'm not very strong and can not believe the door handle is attached by 2 plastic clips and 2 plastic brackets. This is a very poor design and Toyota told me that it is $180 to replace the part, which will probable break again due to the poor design. I very disappointed with my Scion tc.

e65a7ca8, 2010-10-19, 04:31PM CDT

I ended up calling Scion and they will reimburse me if I by the parts from a Scion dealer.

2b347107, 2010-12-12, 02:43PM CST

I've seen Scion TCs with taped hatch door garnishes while driving around so I figured that something must be wrong. I started opening and closing the trunk of my 2005 TC gently and cautiously, pushing the trunk release straight up instead of pulling toward me (which I thought was the issue). Dec 10, 2010, rain added more pressure to the trunk weather seals and as I pushed up on the trunk release the hatch door garnished just broke off. I know it is a poorly designed garnish but I am wondering if it was a design Scion/Toytoa made to make more money from the consumers. $140 for an OEM replacement made out of plastic which will surely break again. Decades of experience in designing and building vehicles and they build a cheap plastic garnish to lift up a heavy trunk door. The sad part is that they did not bother updating this "easy" and "cheap" fix for the 2006-2010 models. Still no metal OEM replacement parts. I believe there are other parts like this they cut corners on.

(I am the only owner of this Scion TC. I treat it like a rare show car. My family owns a fleet of Toyota and Scion vehicles and each have cheap plastic parts. Toyota has lost my loyalty.)

4aee5374, 2010-12-15, 08:38AM CST

The back door handle on my son's has been broken for about 6 months. I contacted Scion and they were rude and no help. I called Scion to get it repaired. It will cost about $260.00. These cars are made very cheap and Scion should have a better customer service department. I was just googling an after market part. It will still be about $150.00 to fix. I would never buy a Scion again.

a73d3a43, 2010-12-15, 11:45AM CST

same thing happened to me.my husband opened the rear hatch one day and the handle just popped right off. very disappointed. it costs 145.00 to order the part from Scion and another $50-100 to have their service dept put it on my car.

0269f726, 2010-12-21, 10:26AM CST

My back door handle for the trunk pulled off with no force at all. A very cheap piece of plastic is used to support the entire trunk. Very poorly made and I can't believe there isn't a recall on this part. I will not buy a scion again if this is the quality of work they put into their cars.

a1fe0415, 2010-12-27, 03:16PM CST

I have had my car for close to 4 years. I had noticed that it seemed to be sticking & seemed a little loose the other day & then on Christmas Eve I went to open the hatch & it came right off! I then noticed that it was a piece of plastic that was attached by two other pieces of plastic. I was like you HAVE to be kidding me. I am in no way an engineer or engineer minded & even to me, that seemed like an extremely STUPID idea. I was going to just try super gluing the plastic pieces together after reading several site on how Scion will not replace it. But I decided to give them a call & see. They were actually very nice & told me that if I get it repaired at an authorized Scion dealer that they would reimburse me the full amount & sent me an e-mail confirming it. So I am off to the dealer for them to get the vin number & match the paint! So my suggestion is to try & call them. I complained very nicely & only spent about 4 mins on the phone with them. You can get the number from your Scion dealer.

90625950, 2011-02-09, 09:05PM CST

I have an 07 tc and today mine just broke!! It was sticking and when I went to do the trunk the whole plastic piece came off and is hanging! The brackets are broke and I had to carefully stick it back on until I can check into getting it fixed....NOT AMUSED

1f8e3c82, 2011-02-24, 05:23PM CST

I would like to share w/ Scion owners how to get fixed trunk hutch. Contact Scion at 18667072466select an option #3(share your experience) and when representative answers, calmly but firmly explain what kind of problem you have and if no positive response, ask to speak to a supervisor. They will provide you with a case# and suggest that you get an estimate from a dealer, after you have an estimate call them again and hopefully they will tell you to go ahead w/repairs, make sure you request a confirmation e-mail. In order to take advantage of that offer, your vehicle will have to be repaired at an authorized Scion/Toyota dealer. At the end they promise to reimburse you within 5-10 weeks. Good luck!

1f8e3c82, 2011-02-24, 05:25PM CST

I would like to share w/ Scion owners how to get fixed trunk hutch. Contact Scion at 18667072466 select an option #3(share your experience) and when representative answers, calmly but firmly explain what kind of problem you have and if no positive response, ask to speak to a supervisor. They will provide you with a case# and suggest that you get an estimate from a dealer, after you have an estimate call them again and hopefully they will tell you to go ahead w/repairs, make sure you request a confirmation e-mail. In order to take advantage of that offer, your vehicle will have to be repaired at an authorized Scion/Toyota dealer. At the end they promise to reimburse you within 5-10 weeks. Repair costs approx. $250. Good luck!

89db2725, 2011-03-02, 02:39PM CST

Mine (a 2005) has broken as well. I had someone epoxy it back on (twice) which is not a permanent fix. The clips are plastic. I was told at the dealership that I shouldn't have used excessive force on it. However, there is no other way to open the hatch. My pneumatic lifts do not lift the rear trunk automatically - it has to be lifted by arm strength. But the latch still shouldn't come off. I only had the car 2 or 3 years.

4c6a6020, 2011-03-04, 06:11PM CST

I too have a broken off Tc trunk handle garnish. Broke while on vacation, riding around with duct tape holding my car together with other drivers staring at me is embarassing, like a "bad pimple". I fixed it with epoxy, worked great until the plastic surrounding the epoxy-weld broke as well. The more often the trunks on these cars are opened, the weaker the shocks get, the weaker the plastic gets, and the truck lid seems to stick, like vacuum pressure, same as if it were locked, so that adds force. It's only a matter of short time, and you suddenly own a "ghetto" car!

5dd1295a, 2011-03-12, 06:05PM CST

Hello! I am so glad that I read some of these complaints and know that I am not the only one with duct tape on my car! I have a 2008 Scion Tc and was going on vacation. I had been having trouble with opening especially when it rained or the car was washed, I pulled and pulled at the cruise terminal and yanked the whole thing off! The luggage man said, "girl you are strong, I'm not messing with you!" I said, no I'm not strong, this is cheap and plastic! Driving to the cruise parking lot the thing just dangled. Luckily the car parked next to me had duct tape on it and I borrowed some of theirs, it was leopard print. I too tried to glue it back which only led to removing the leopard print and reapplying blue duct tape. I am frustrated, just nice to know I'm not the only one. My Toyota dealer quoted me a price of $380. The duct tape looks better each day. AND the trunk opens alot easier now!

613f46f8, 2011-04-06, 08:59PM CDT

The same thing happened to me and when I called the parts department they were RUDE. They guy pretty much told me that it's a common thing and that my trunk was meant to be open with two hands. They refused to fix and quoted me a ridiculous price. It's been almost a year of me riding around with duck tape on my trunk. I have a 2005 tc. Also, I had only had my car about 4 months when I rock cracked my mirror casing for the drivers side. So that is missing as well. Because they want me to spend another $400 and replace the whole mirror. It's just a missing piece of plastic. Cheap parts on a car I paid a lot of money for when they came out! Something needs to be done here Scion!

5311dd05, 2011-05-13, 09:59AM CDT

Mine too has broken! So simple to just pull it right off. I came out this morning after it has rained all night, it was around 70 Degrees and unlocked my car pulled open the trunk to load up and Pop! right off! seriously?!?!

I think Toyota should offer to replace the part, or at least cover some of the cost!!

9534622b, 2011-07-07, 10:27PM CDT

I bought my Tc brand spankin' new and I LOVED it. It was so cute and I felt like a doll driving it! It is a 2006 model and I just recently paid it off. About 6 months ago after grocery shopping I lifted up on the back hatch handle and poof! The darn thing just popped right off sprinkling little plastic pieces into the Wal Mart parking lot. To this day I have been driving around with tape on the back of my car because I can't dish out the dough to pay for repairs. It is absolutley embarrasing but I'd rather have it taped than have the piece dangling for dear life from the back of my car. Just the other day I saw a fellow scion driver with the exact same problem....at least she used clear tape instead of my choice of blue tape. How in the world is there not a recall for this problem?! I am calling Scion tomorrow in hopes of being able to drive my car without being embarrassed by it. Toyota should be the one embarrassed...not their customers!

bacf90db, 2011-09-08, 04:23PM CDT

My daughter broke mine today. I thought it was a little weak and poorly designed. But I did not expect the complete section to come off. I am not going to buy a new part. I am going to figure out a way to reinforce the part I have and re-attach it. I refuse to give money for a design flaw.

55749775, 2011-09-18, 11:41AM CDT

There needs to be a recall on this. Mine on an '08 snapped off last night. I always thought it felt flimsy...I was right. Otherwise, I love the car.

449e32f4, 2011-11-01, 09:35AM CDT

Having similar issue. I couldn't believe how many local Scion owners in my area are having the same missing piece, even my neighbor! I contacted Scion at 866-70-SCION and even though they updated my info and noted the issue, they refused to assist with fixing what seems to me an issue with poor quality and manufacturing. I hope Toyota (Scion) wakes up and takes care of their clients, their reputation in my eyes will be heavily riding on how they react to solving this issue, which is clearly their fault.

449e32f4, 2011-11-01, 09:37AM CDT

0976b8d4, 2011-11-28, 10:13AM CST

I have had my Scion TC for 4 years this November, the back panel broke in the parking lot of a large store. Luckily I was able to stick it back on well enough for it to pass (even freeway driving) until I got home and could put some duct tape on it.

Bought a new part from autopartscheaper.com due to Toyota wanting $300 to do the repair. Took maybe an hour to do and I have saved roughly $150.

It is a cheap plastic part, Toyota/Scion should know better.

d303ec17, 2011-12-26, 11:55AM CST

2009 Scion Tc with 20k... Trunk has always been difficult to open, I usually have to squeeze really hard on the stupid little trunk release button and pull up really hard to get the darn thing open! Yesterday I tried opening it and the whole handle came off! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I have it taped on now, I am going to see if Scion will replace it as I still have a warranty.. hoping it is covered!

b426536e, 2011-12-28, 11:53PM CST

I have had my scion tc for a few years now, and have never had any problems with my trunk. However i have always notcied other TC,s with the trunk handle either missing or duct taped on. Just the other day i went to open my trunk and my handle popped off extremely easily. There should definitely be a recall on these because they are obviously defective and cheap! Toyota (SCION) need to get their act together and do something about this obvious problem!

22ad17c1, 2012-01-16, 10:53AM CST

Being a little of a backyard mechanic I think that the back hatch latch maybe more to blame for the breaking of the plastic above. I have a lose hatch and the latch sticks like not wanting to open and it maybe that that is one reason that the plastic part breaks. But thats just my hatch issue.

f68f7153, 2012-01-30, 04:53PM CST

This morning I was loading my work stuff in the back of my 2008 Scion tC, when the back handle ripped right off. I didn't apply an excessive or even forceful amount of pressure when opening it. I believe that the braces connecting the Handle Garnish to the Back Hatch Door is poorly designed and almost guarenteed to break for all Scion tC drivers.

f3a6dbf2, 2012-03-01, 11:19AM CST

I just experienced the exact same issue. Went to open the hatch and the back door garnish came off in my hand. Cheap plastic piece but they still charge you 150.00 just for the part and more to install it. Step your game up scion or this will be the last scion I purchase.

f614a586, 2012-03-09, 09:49PM CST

SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME! I HAD TO SUPER GLUE MINE BACK ON! THE TRUNCK ID VERY HARD TO OPEN! SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!

00eca7f0, 2012-03-14, 09:34PM CDT

This also happened to my 2007 Scion in 2010. I had to buy the new part and we installed it ourselves...

fede3ab7, 2012-04-08, 04:43PM CDT

dang the first year i purchased my car it happened. i am still disappointed with the fact they dont have a recall on that part. i have been driving around with glue on this dumb part. very humiliating. . .

0938732e, 2012-04-09, 05:39PM CDT

I have had the same thing happen to me. The trunk latch wore out over time. There was a point when I could not open my trunk at all, then eventually the entire latch with plastic cover broke off. The new part costs $163 through Toyota (and I think that's with an employee discount). Scion should definitely do a recall - we consumers should not have to pay the price for faulty production.

0938732e, 2012-04-09, 05:45PM CDT

05a2aa47, 2012-04-25, 02:20AM CDT

Jonathan N., 2013-05-06, 01:50PM CDT

Just contacted the Scion TC hotline and they informed me that a warranty replacement is in order for all Scions with this issue which fall in the 7yr warranty or 1 yr from the notice which was in March (if you are out of 7yr warranty). This is great news but something Toyota should have taken care of a long time ago.

RoytheBoy .., 2013-06-11, 12:01AM CDT

T0: ALL SCION tC OWNERS OF 2004, 2005, and 2006 MODELS. WE HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF. LET'S FIGHT THIS.

I WAS JUST SENT A "WARRANTY ENHANCEMENT NOTIFICATION" by Toyota/Scion saying they would fix the crappy "garnish" for free. The notification even had my V.I.N. (vehicle identification number) on it. Yet when I took my tC into Power Toyota in irvine, they refused to fix it, pointing out that I have a 2005 model -- and only tc MODELS YOUNGER THAN 7 YEARS qualify.

In other words, TOYOTA HAS DECIDED TO SAVE SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS by NOT PAYING for the repairs of 2004, 2005, or even 2006 Scion tC models -- despite the fact that these models are IDENTICAL TO LATER MODELS. This is a clear example of a corporation "pretending to do the right thing" when, in fact, their accountants have told them that they can screw a minority and save big bucks.

To make matters even more insidious, they still send me (and everyone else, I guess) the fix-it notice, even though they know your VIN number and that you will be refused service when you drive down to the dealer due to their arbitrary "7-year" rule. Then of course, since you are down there already, they assume that you will JUST PAY FOR IT.

LET'S NOT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS BLATANT RIP-OFF. TOYOTA, YOU ARE GOING TO GET SOME VERY BAD PUBLICITY, BECAUSE I AM A JOURNALIST WHO WORKS FOR THE L.A. TIMES AND SEVERAL NATIONAL MAGAZINES. I WILL POST THIS MESSAGE ON EVERY POSSIBLE WEBSITE AND WILL NOT STOP UNTIL YOU TAKE CARE OF ALL THE OWNERS OF THIS CAR.

204977bc, 2013-06-16, 04:49PM CDT

I have a 2008 Scion TC, just got letter from Scion that they have extended warranty on Backdoor Garnish/handle. It says I can take to any dealer for free analysis and repair of backdoor garnish. Mine is abit loose, but not broken yet. Warranty is good for 7 years from date of purchase of vehicle. Also, mentioned that if I had already paid for repair of broken garnish to send them copy of receipt for an evaluation of possible refund.

938f8f09, 2013-09-02, 02:13PM CDT

As I just fixed a friends tc, I will tell you people the same thing I told him. Buy american...I have a 27 year old car and 30 year old truck both fords. Ever have a problem with dumb things like this? Nope, not once. Buy cheep cars get cheep cars. Took me 5 mins to take off and an hour to make a mold and pour melted steel into it. Granted I do this for a living but that's the solution to the problem. Make the whole thing metel and reuse the bolts. Fixed forever

9b8e374d, 2014-01-06, 01:49PM CST

On January 2nd 2014 I broke off my rear hatch Garnish. I never received any notice from Scion about Extending the warranty on it so I just bought the part and will replace it as soon as it arrives. Before I install the part I will see what can be done to make it less likely to break.

Scion is now just putting on the same part so unless your habits change you will be in the same place soon. Frankly you would think they would devote some time to the issue and re engineer the product so it is mounted metal to metal with the part you lift backed also in metal. This is my last Toyota Product.. For sure.