HP and Arvato Digital services - HP fails to ship windows 7 to upgrade customers

Posted on Thursday, November 5th, 2009 at 6:45pm CST by fe68a287

Product: HP Pavillion Media Center

Company: HP and Arvato Digital services

Location: Hewlett-Packard USA 20555 SH 249 Houston, TX 77070 USA
Houston, TX, 77070, US

URL: http://www.hp.com/

On Oct 20 I purchased an HP computer with windows Vista after being promised I would receive an upgrade copy of Windows 7. I was told this not only by the sales rep of the retail store but also by HP, with I contacted directly. They gave the impression that my copy would be shipped as soon as windows 7 were made available to the public. After I made the purchase I found that HP has contracted a company named Arvato Digital Services to handle the windows 7 distribution. It has been over two weeks since Arvato validated my purchase and still windows 7 have not been shipped. I contacted Hp / Arvato just to find out they are still processing orders made months ago and that there is no Eta on when I would receive windows 7, maybe 2 months they suggested. This is completely unacceptable, not only it does not say anywhere on Arvato or HP sites about a month delay on their windows 7 upgrade but also HP had been advertising the windows 7 upgrade as being available as soon as windows 7 was released (Oct, 22.) I found HP advertising practices to be deceitful at best. Had I knew that HP would delay over a month to deliver windows & I would just have wait for a windows 7 pc instead.

0c302885, 2009-11-24, 11:54AM CST

I have had an almost identical experience. I've been waiting for over a month. HP will not offer any help, referring instead to their contractor Arvato, which seems totally swamped by volume, and surprised (unprepared) by the upgrade request. Since the whole world knew when Win 7 would release, and there doesn't seem to be any real shortage of media in the marketplace, I conclude that HP and Avrato, simply don't care. What a shame for HP (and its customers).

7cb89477, 2010-06-21, 03:39PM CDT

Well, I am now in the same, but probably a worse position with HP. I bought my laptop on October 12. They said I'd get a free Windows 7 upgrade. I was surprised when the laptop arrived and there was absolutely no literature ANYWHERE within the packaging regarding my free upgrade. Since Windows 7 hadn't been released yet (it was released on October 20, 8 days later), I assumed HP would just mail me the information as soon as it became available. Unfortunately, I put too much trust in HP, and I allowed too much time to pass by.

So today, in June, I finally found the time to contact HP about the free upgrade. And now they're telling me it was a "promotion," and that I had to upgrade by March 15. Both my husband and I have been on the phone all day with HP, fighting them about this. Never did I read anywhere that this was just a "promotion" that would end on March 15. Second, when you buy outdated software and are promised the new upgrade, I've never known any company to ever put a deadline on when you go about upgrading - that is ridiculous. Third, they told me I should have received an upgrade code in the packaging, which I didn't. Fourth, they told me I was informed on the website when I purchased he PC, which I wasn't. And, finally, they even went as far as to say that they sent all of their customers emails and phone calls about the upgrade, which I am certain they did not.

So now they want me to pay $100+ for the Windows 7 upgrade that I purchased when I bought the laptop. Still fighting them about it, but it doesn't look like they're going to honor the free upgrade.

I'm very disappointed in HP. I've bought HP all my life, and most of my students buy HPs because they get a recommendation from me. If HP can't do something as simple as honor this simple upgrade for free, then I will never purchase an HP again. It's not about the $100. It's about a company being honest and fair with you, and giving you what you deserve., and giving you what you paid for.