Staples - Staples - blowing off state-required warranty

Company: Staples

Location: 1131 Union Street
Bangor, Ma, 04401, US

URL: http://staples.com/

Company refuses to replace defective halogen desk lamp. Correspondence to date below.

Hey Folks,

"Taken apart" does NOT constitute 'abuse' of the product. Under Maine law, or otherwise. Transformers are not subject to power surge problems; unfortunately, you do not have any knowledge of electrics. Three years is not sufficient time to have the product 'wear out' IF the halogen bulb burned out, yeah, that's more than expected life. Four years in Maine, not shorter. The $10 is a completely underwhelming gesture, and 'faith' had nothing to do with it, since you start the communication with accusations of 'accidents' and 'abuse'.

I'll forward your response along with my complaint to the State of Maine Attorney General's. I'm also proceeding to contact you corporate customer complaint/corporate&public relations office regarding my complaint and your insulting position with regard to your product's quality and fitness for use.

Thank you very much for presenting the worst initial CR response I've ever had!

C

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 8:22 AM, SBProdSupport <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello. In regards to this request, these Staples brand products only have a one year manufacturers warranty. You may have had a power surge, which wouldve knocked out the transformer and in any case, from what youve described, it appears, that you took the fixture apart, to find the problem, which wouldve voided any warranty, on the product. I checked into the state of Maine warranty and I found this information below. This product may have been abused by the consumer, i.e. taken apart. Youve also had the product for almost 3 years, which could mean, that the product wore out, within its useful life. However, we will issue you a $10 coupon, as a gesture of good faith, which will be sent to your email address, within 2 to 3 business days. If you should have any other questions, please call us at 1-800-425-0049 and reference case # 266933.

Regards,

1. Are seriously defective;

2. Have not been abused; and

3. Were purchased less than four years ago and still within their normally expected "useful life

" (i.e., not simply worn out).All new and used goods purchased for family, household or personal use--clothes, new cars, appliances, sports equipment and more--are warranted by law to be fit for the ordinary purpose for which such goods are used. The only exception to this law is that used car dealers can disclaim implied warranties when selling used cars "as is, without any express warranty.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:49 PM

To: SBProdSupport

Subject: Staples Product Support Web Site Customer Feedback

Comments&Questions: I have a defective staples halogen desk lamp. Model #471773, purchased 2/22/07. With further numbers on the bottom: E127284, Model #12814 C10066998 NFK V190. This item stopped working four weeks ago. I have determined that it is not the bulb, not the switch, not the internal wiring, not the outlet wiring - but IS the power transformer! There is no good reason for a good quality transformer to crap out. Your company offers a 'one-year' warranty but our state (Maine) requires a FOUR year warranty. So, we would like to know how we get this replaced under our state's warranty. We await your reply at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Date&Time: 11/19/2009 8:48:35 PM

103836d2, 2010-02-11, 11:39AM CST

I bought a laptop with warranty and they refuse to fix it and told me that it is not covered. The guy who sold me the warranty told me that they cover everything. What a joke. Never shop there any more.

fbe2cb34, 2010-02-11, 11:40AM CST