HP - HP Technical Support Difficulties

Posted on Tuesday, June 30th, 2009 at 6:53pm CDT by c2067b1a

Product: HP Pavilion Elite

Company: HP

URL: http://www.hp.com/

On June 19th, 2009 I purchased a new HP Pavillion Elite desktop PC. The PC arrived June 25th, 2009. On June 25th, 2009 the hard drive failed and reported "BIOHD-8" error code.

I, of course, called Technical Support about this. They had me reset the hard drive and restore it to its factory settings, blaming IE8 for the problem (it being the first day I had the machine, the only thing I had installed on it was the OS security updates and IE8 was part of those).

On June 27th, 2009, the hard drive failed again, this time reporting BIOHD-7 as the error code. In addition, the BIOS displayed an error message similar to the following:

SAMSUNG HD: Hard Drive failure is Imminent!

Please back up your data and replace the Hard Drive!

Call HP Technical Support and report this problem.

Once again I, of course, called Technical Support about this issue. I then spent an hour on the phone with them when they told me that they did not see the hard drive I was reporting to them as a part for the machine I had ordered (I had ordered the machine from HP's website and there was a special upgrade available to upgrade from a 500 GB hard drive to a 640 GB hard drive for free, which of course I opted for). I explained to them repeatedly that I was staring at the Packing List and it listed the hard drive as a Samsung 640 GB HD. In addition, I had the order confirmation listing the hard drive as a Samsung 640 GB HD.

I explained to them that under no circumstances would I accept a 500 GB hard drive as a replacement for my 640 GB hard drive. So they agreed to send me the 750 GB hard drive instead (an acceptable replacement). I asked them at this time how I was going to replace the OS, as that was pre-installed on the original drive and as it failed immediately I would not be able to make backup disks. They informed me that they would send DVDs I could use to install the OS on the new drive.

On June 30th, 2009, I received the replacement hard drive from FedEx. I installed the hard drive, but did not notice any installation disks for the OS. Reading through the material they sent, they state that the disks are sent separately. However, considering the difficulties I have been having I wanted to make sure that they were, in fact, sending them, so I called HP Technical Support again.

This time as I am confirming model numbers and whatnot (again) I realize that they keep referring to the model as a d5000t even though I keep correcting them that the model number is d5200t. I think they are referring to a series number or something so I am not concerned about them getting it exactly right. It isn't until they mention how I have two computers registered that it dawns on me that they might be thinking of the computer my wife bought last year from them. I explain that this is for computer I JUST purchased a couple of days ago.

I ask them about the OS installation disks and it turns out they HAD NOT sent them, despite my asking about it on June 27th. I re-iterate that I will not be able to use the computer without an OS and ask how I am supposed to get it up and running without the disks. They say that they will send me disks to install the OS.

A few hours later, I get shipment confirmation and notice that they are CHARGING me for the OS. Their hard drive FAILED within hours after being turned on and they are CHARGING me to fix it!

An update to this. I just got off the phone with HP and they tell me they will not be charging me for the disks. I told them emphatically that I would be declining any attempt to do so (because somehow I don't exactly trust that they won't "mistakenly" charge me again).

Overall, I truly believe that the major issue here was miscommunication due to non-native English speakers working technical support and confusing the part numbers I told them on the phone. I repeatedly explained that this was a brand new machine, yet somehow I think they continued to confuse it with the machine my wife purchased over a year ago.

Overall the people working Technical Support for HP were very nice and truly tried to accommodate me, but I think there was a language barrier that complicated things unnecessarily, and for all I know will continue to complicate things if charges start appearing or the disks are incorrect for my computer.

0c7dad98, 2010-03-06, 10:19AM CST

I would like to add my 2 cents regarding HP Technical support, which is not as optimistic.

I recently contacted HP twice about a hard drive problem on my son's HP computer, which I bought 1 year and 41 days ago (putting it only 41 days out of warranty). Being a loyal HP customer (until now), having bought numerous HP computer and other products over many years, I asked if they would extend a courtesy to me (hard drives should not have problems after only one year - error code BIOHD-8). First, HP refused to provide any such courtesy. Secondly, and this is where I question the competency of HP phone or on-line support, the technician tried to sell me hardware that does not address my problem. First, he tried to sell me one-year support for $100 that only deals with software issues. Secondly, the technician tried to sell me an external hard drive also for about $100. Lastly, the technician tried to sell me a new computer. None of their "proposed solutions" addressed my need to replace or fix my hard drive, which contains the OS.

I have had problems with other HP computers after many years of use, to be expected, and have had satisfactory resolution in fixing problems, until now. I am truly disappointed in HP's customer service.