FedEx - FedEx Employs Thieves

Location: FedEx Customer Relations 3875 Airways, Module H3 Department 4634
MEMPHIS, TN, 38116, US

URL: http://www.fedex.com/

Category: Delivery, Moving Services, Storage

On June 30th, 2009, my fiance sent a package through your (FedEx) service containing a 14K, three-stone diamond engagement ring and two lipsticks from Montreal, QC. The package was picked up from Anjou, QC, brought to Mirabel, QC, where it arrived at your Memphis, TN, facility. After a two day clearance delay in Memphis, I received the package in Kenner, LA, on Friday, July 3rd, 2009, at 8:42 a.m.

When I opened package, the ring was not in the package, but the two lipsticks were. I immediately contacted FedEx about my missing ring. I was put in contact with a FedEx customer relations representative who began a search for my missing ring.

Since it was a holiday weekend, I did not receive any updates about the status of my missing ring until Monday, July 6th, 2009. As 5:00 p.m. EST, I was told by the FedEx representative that my ring could not be located and gave me the option of beginning the claim process. I was reluctant to stop searching for the ring, so I left that decision up to my fiance, since he is the one who bought and shipped the ring. My fiance told FedEx that he would like your organization to search a little while longer for the ring.

After searching the rest of that week, FedEx told my fiance that the ring could not be located and was offered to begin the claim process. My fiance started the claim process on Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 and concluded the claim process on Thursday, July 16th, 2009.

My fiance insured the package for $500. Although the ring's actual worth was more than $500, my fiance was told that this was the maximum amount the package could be insured for. My fiance eceived a check on Friday, July 24th, 2009 for $564.00, the $500 insurance amount plus the shipping costs.

The official story is that your organization lost my ring, but obviously, FedEx employs people that are thieves, and one of your larcenous employees stole the ring since it was the only item that was missing from the package. And, because of your predatory insurance and claim policies, my fiance lost a great deal of money by not receiving the full amount of the ring that your organization stole from the both of us.

After this entire experience, I have to say that I feel doubly victimized by FedEx. Not only was our merchandise (the ring) stolen from us but we were also cheated out of our money by only receiving a small portion of the ring's worth.

Receiving an engagement ring is a dream for many women. Unfortunately, your organization has destroyed that dream for me.

Needless to say, I will not be using FedEx ever again and will actively try to avoid ordering from companies that use your delivery service. I am more than aware, however, that this letter will have no effect on my personal situation or FedEx's business practices. No, I felt compelled to write this letter for my personal peace of mind. I needed to get my feelings of anger and disappointment with your organization off my chest not to elicit a response or action but to help me get closure from this awful experience.

86b60b05, 2009-08-03, 04:59AM CDT

Just a few thoughts:

If the fiance was told by FedEx prior to shipping that the maximum insurance value for his package was $500, and he knew the contents had a much higher value, why didn't he check into insuring it privately? Transportation insurance is on offer by most insurers.

The $500 maximum insurance value for things like jewellery isn't a FedEx policy. As far as I know, it is the IATA (Int'l Air Transport Assoc.) standard.

I wouldn't be so quick in accusing FedEx employees of stealing the contents of the package. The woman here writes the package had been held up in US Customs. If customs had opened the package for examination, there is always the possibility of the ring being taken out of the box for inspection and somehow not being put back in again.

c458eec9, 2011-08-29, 06:43PM CDT

Ever occur to you your fiance' is full of s**t, he possibly bought you lipstick, didn't want to shell out the money for the engagement ring, so he put in a empty ring box..so that when it arrived you would believe it was stolen, letting him off the hook for the ring..my poor baby lost all of that money...money he claimed he spent..sorry I'm not buying it and apparently neither did fedex...

a9b7741b, 2012-07-04, 02:33PM CDT

My fellow friend, the one who saying something about this girl.s fiancee, let me tell you, i got here into this site because exactly of the same situation, excepting that im the fiancee and, yes, Fedex lost the ring i have bought from bluenile.com as it happened to this lady, i got a tracking number to have it delivered to my door here in Mexico, it cleared customs and aftwerwards it was sent to a fedex facility to get in transit to my home, but, after 3 days without any movement from that facility i decided to call, a representative offered to investigate what was going on with the resulting "lost" and without any knowledge how that could happen!!! can you believ it??, so dont say something about any fiancee not sending a ring!!! im completely agree with this girl, a ring is truly a dream for any woman, people without principles dont know how do they affect others!, well, till it does happen to them!!! so they can feel such a frustration, stress and anxiety one can experiment!! in my case, im actually waiting for the claim to be accepted (i cant be other way because the ring never arrived!) hope to let you know later what happened.