Executive Media Publisher Services - Publisher's Sweepstakes Awards Division

Posted on Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 at 8:18pm CDT by f424402b

Company: Executive Media Publisher Services

Category: Scam Contests

I was informed by Keith McDowell that I was a finalist contender in GA for a 25,000 Early Bird Drawing. When I inquired as the the company, he responded "The Publisher's Sweepstakes Awards Division". When I replied I don't remember entering any such contest, he said that I was automatically entered through whichever credit card company I use, either Visa or Mastercard, because I was a good customer in being prompt with my monthly payments. I asked for more company info & he informed that it was part of the Executive Media Publisher Services.

He went on to inform me that I had won a diamond watch, & to select either ladies or mens - I said ladies. He then said I had also won a free vacation good for up to 2yrs with selected sites which I'd receive a brochure on. Finally he told that I also would get a great 60% off deal on select magazines, which would be only $2.50 per week <X52=$130><I must be a sucker to continue listening to this crap>. I told him I had to go to work & to call me tomorrow to continue, he gave me a verification # which I would need when they (he then supervisor) call back tomorrow. He said the supervisor would handle the details.

I searched for the company names & phone number. None of the names exactly matched, but 2 case# here at complaints.com sounded similar (114276 & 110874). The phone # came back registered to a William Collier in memphis MS.

a229c312, 2010-02-11, 11:19AM CST

I too was contacted by this group with the exact same plan. The numbers they gave me to connect to them were:

901-881-2429 [number they called me from]

888-299-6380

And they are keen on letting me know they are registered with the BBB which means absolutely nothing here in California.

2780da98, 2010-04-19, 03:49PM CDT

beware!!!

I GOT THE SAME CALL FROM 310-370-9593 & WAS TOLD ALL THE SAME INFORMATION, BUT WHEN I RESPONDED THAT I DIDNT WANT TO GIVE MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION & THAT I WAS READING BAD STORIES ABOUT THE COMPANY LIKE THIS THE REP. HUNG UP ON ME.

THE SECOND CALL BACK WAS FROM A BLOCKED NUMBER.

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ANY OF YOUR INFORMATION OUT OVER THE INTERNET. SCAMMERS ARE ALIVE AND HARVESTING

0d030cff, 2010-05-17, 11:31AM CDT

I am an employer here at EMSI, and I need to inform you of a few things. 1 is that you missed out on a great deal because we send out the watches and vacation packages every day. 2 is that we have a separate branch located in NYC so it's not that the numbers dont match the names, you just have to know which branch contacted you. 3 when you research our numbers it doesnt show up as William Collier at all. We dont even know who this is.

e6f633ea, 2010-12-02, 05:30PM CST

I also received this same call, though it showed up as an unavailable ID on my phone. The woman who called me told me almost the exact same story, that my credit card had entered me in some sort of Publisher's Sweepstakes(though she didn't know what credit card I had), and that they were going to send me a diamond watch, and that I was going to get a great deal on magazines, as long as I paid $3.50/week I told them I was not interested and they have continued to call me; I have been called by them at least six times in the past two days.

8246b256, 2012-01-06, 01:25PM CST

These people have called me about 15 times in the last few days. The phone number is (404) 845-0403 and says it's an Atlantia, GA number. It's on my cell phone. I wish there was some kind of legal action I can take to stop this harrassment.

6a23abc5, 2012-03-26, 06:06PM CDT

I got a call from them as well about 5 mins ago. It came up as "Unavailable" and a really nice sounding female was telling me about the diamond watch and the $25,000 sweepstakes and the cheap magazines. (I fell for a call similar to this one about a week ago and cancelled my card before it was too late) She transferred me to her so-called supervisor who said that it's all free, just pay for shipping and handling. He then asked if he could have my card information. I told him that i recently had to cancel my card due to a similar phone call from a different company, and that it hadn't came in yet. He said "ok ill call you back in a bit then" and hung up.

haha

im just not sure why im on this roster for these phone calls, how do they get my name to begin with?

dont fall for it, definite scam.

235264fc, 2013-04-02, 08:29AM CDT

I fell for the same phone call.They said I would receive a diamond watch and 3 mags.and the 4th I would have to buy for 4.65 a week well they took out 59.80 from my bank card the very next day.Does anyone know how I can stop this from happening again.Thanks

ce6f32d0, 2013-12-26, 11:50AM CST

This is a common scam used to sell magazine subscriptions over the phone. If people would not engage these scammers, they would be forced to stop... unfortunately, they obviously are finding suckers around every corner because the scam is alive and thriving.

ce6f32d0, 2013-12-26, 11:52AM CST

@235264fc How you can stop this from happening again? First off, common sense dictates you don't give your banking information to random callers. I hope you had the sense to cancel your bankcard so they could not place anymore charges!

Arlana J., 2014-06-26, 06:30PM CDT

They told me I won 1,000,000 dollars but I had to purchase a magazine and get a conformation number! I'm no fool I wasn't born yesterday! Wish I could stop the calls too