Toyota - Toyota's Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Posted on Friday, July 10th, 2009 at 2:45pm CDT by 0c046d94

Product: RAV4 2002

Company: Toyota

I am disgusted that several years ago Toyota realized there was an issue with the ECM which could ruin the transmission. Instead of letting consumers know about this issue as soon as they realized, they sent a letter to dealerships and service areas, but failed to let their own customers know. I can only assume that the issue would have cost Toyota too much money. According to Internet research, this problem generally starts around 90,000 miles and causes considerable danger with jerking and shifting problems. I started to have my shifting issues in November 2008. Feeling that the situation was hopeless since I was far out of warranty, I was so pleased to receive a notice from Toyota in January 2009 telling me that they would reprogram my ECM. Stupidly thinking that Toyota had taken responsibility, I went on my merry way and hoped that the transmission damage would not continue. Unfortunately, it did. Two weeks ago when my transmission failed for good, I was resigned to the fact that I would be paying $2200 to have it replaced/rebuilt; however, I was shocked to receive a phone call today telling me that I have to replace the ECM. Apparently, the ECM reprogram notice was regarding a whole OTHER issue. WHAT??? I am in disbelief. Because of Toyota's underhanded, deceptive, immoral actions, I am out of pocket for the transmission and the ECM (at least $3500). I expect some issues with an older vehicle, but never saw this coming. Toyota has lost my respect. I am so upset and disgusted.

Resolution Sought: Pay for my ECM. They knew the issue existed years ago and weren't considerate enough to inform their trusting and loyal customers until transmissions were ruined, safety was at risk and financial situations were destroyed. I'm angry, but willing to pay for my own transmission. Toyota should pay for their faulty part though. I always bought into the fact that domestic cars weren't as good and that foreign cars possessed higher quality. This situation blew that out of the park.

bef075cc, 2009-10-22, 12:21PM CDT

I purchased a 2005 Toyota Rav4 in July of 2005, and have taken superb care of it over the years. However, the transmission blew up on me after just 89,000 miles. I was crossing a double set of railroad tracks when this happened, and it scared me half to death. It's costing me $3,000 to fix the transmission, and the guy at the garage couldn't even give me a reason for this happening. After some internet research, I found that this has been happening to numerous '01-'05 Rav4 customers that have reached just over 80,000 miles due to a faulty ECM that Toyota has decided NOT to recall. Now I need to pay another $1,200 to have the ECM replaced at the Toyota dealer so that this doesn't happen to me again. Absolutely ridiculous! How can they get away with something like this?

ca52d3db, 2010-07-05, 11:48PM CDT

I am having the exact same problem with rough shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. I purchased an ODB scanner (at $175) and it gave me the code P2716 which indicates I have to purchase a new computer (ECM). Now I'm finding out Toyota knew about this problem (it happended to me at 104,000 miles - past the warantee period, of course) and many others have been having the same problems with Corolla's and Rav4"s. Can we do something to make Toyota responsible for this?

2162e75a, 2010-09-09, 09:38AM CDT

I have had numerous electrical problems with my 1999 Crapolla, (window actuator failure/door lock & latch failures/interior lighting failure), which I purchased new and have taken excellent care of since day one. When the car reached approximately 68k the check engine light kept coming on and I was informed that I need to replace a faulty ECM based on the code, now I'm worried my transmission will go but don't have the extra funds to repair as a precautionary measure, so I ride the bus and avoid long trips when I do drive. I am thoroughly disappointed with Toyota quality and service, especially with the fact that there have been issues with the ECM for more than a decade, but is not reflected in the recent recall of the ECM, which probably wouldn't have happened if Toyota's product quality and service shortcomings hadn't been brought to light over the past year.

4cbe51e2, 2010-10-04, 06:05PM CDT

Same problem with my Rav 4. Almost got me hit by an 18 wheeler because the transmission slipped as I pulled out across 4 lanes of traffic and it stopped then slammed into gear. Then I find out they knew about it long before it happened to me and they don't want to pay for the ECM they knew was faulty.

cb0f80f5, 2010-10-18, 02:35PM CDT

I just received an Interim Recall Notice for this ECM and believe it also has caused damage to my transmission. For the past three weeks (just prior to the notice from Toyota) I had noticed slipage of my transmission mostly in 2nd and third gear. First I thought my gas filter might need to be replaced but once I received the recall notice and looked online I realized that I am in the same boat as you. Twice my car has stopped on me while I was driving it. The first time I was on vacation 2+ hours away from home and had it towed to a GMC dealership at the suggestion of the AAA driver. They stated that the fuses kept blowing so they assumed it to be an ignition switch and charged me over $500.00 to replace it. About 7 months later I was driving down the highway and the exact same thing happened. My car just shut off and would not start again. This time I had it towed to a local mechanic that I had trusted in the past. He also said that the car kept blowing the fuse and attributed it to a short in the wiring. This cost me another $300.00+. Now I spoke with the Toyota Customer Experience Center and they are trying to say that there are no reports that this ECM module is causing damage to transmissions but I don't believe them. They want me to have one of their dealerships evaluate the transmission so they can tell me if that is what the symptoms are and if their module is the cause. I think I should get another opinion before I let them touch my vehicle. I also think that it would be wise to contact an attorney and file a class action suit against Toyota if in fact this issue is affecting our transmissions (which I strongly believe it is). Toyota has known about this issues long enough to have notified it's customers before the transmission damage was done. I drive a standard and although I have 191,000 miles on my car it is 99% highway milage. I still have the original clutch so I know I am not shifting in a way to cause damage to my transmission either. If there is anyone out there that knows of an attorney that is willing to work together with us owners by filing a class action suit against Toyota I would be happy to be apart.

BH 10/18/10

67cdfcb6, 2011-01-11, 05:34AM CST

Really a good information from it fanstatic article.

------------------

<a href="http://www.sexyeditor.com" rel="dofollow">cheap cars</a>

b1434c5c, 2011-02-09, 02:25PM CST

I would love to get in on that Class Action Suit. My 05 Corolla S had the same transmission/shifting problems, then the EMC went out, which was under warranty, so they replaced it. I should also mention that the headlight on the drivers side of my car had gone out 4 times within a 6 month period. Two of the times I noticed that the plastic had melted on the connecetor peice of the light, and was scortced. Then, months later, came the times that my car would just die out of nowhere, while the car was in motion. Luckily I was in a residential area both times it happened. About 3 weeks later, my car shut off again while in motion, but this time when I restarted it, it would continue to turn off. I called Toyota from the side of the road, and they said it sounded like my EMC again, to bring it in. I proceeded to call AAA, who showed up an hour later.. He hooked my car up to the tow truck (backwards) and told me to turn my hazard lights on, which I did. We proceeded to go 2 blocks down the road to the auto parts store to run a report on the computer to see if it was in fact the EMC. We parked, and when I got out, I noticed smoke coming from under the hood on the drivers side. (Please note, the car had been off for about 2 1/2 hrs at this time, only things on were the hazard lights.) The driver open my hood and put the fire out, but not before it completely melted my battery thru, as well as the fuse box. Now that my car has been repaired, the lights in the dash go off and on periodicly. This car is riddled with problems, and Toyota needs to make it right!

fb7290cb, 2011-03-14, 01:27PM CDT

I had the same experience with my 2006 Toyota Corolla, which I purchased brand new. If Toyota had informed me of the improperly manufactured ECM, then I wouldn't have kept driving my car and ruining the transmission. My 4 year old Toyota now has transmission problems and Toyota will not replace it. Toyota won't admit that the faulty ECM is what caused my transmission problems. I shouldn't have to replace my transmission; but, Toyota should be held liable.

Angela M., 2013-01-18, 01:42PM CST

I received my recall notice for ECM module in 2008, took my 2002 Rav4 to the dealer and had the module replaced. In June 2012, stopped at gas station out of town and accidently put 84 gas in car. immediately started having problems but I thought it was from the gas. Well, the problem persisted long enough that I've finally taken it to the dealer; only to learn that my transmission is shot and needs to be replaced. I bought the car new, it has less than 52,000 miles on it and it needs a new transmission? What crap. I was a very loyal Toyota customer until this happened. I will not ever buy another Toyota as the company doesn't care at all for their consumers.

863aa62c, 2014-04-03, 05:01PM CDT

I have a Prius which I purchased in Sept. of 2012. I was never notified of a recall on the ECU until I bought my car in for the 15k scheduled maintenance (03/13/14). The customer rep. indicated it would take 4 hrs. to repair. I got a call 45 mintutes to pick-up the car. Within 7 days of the maintenance appt. the car went from slow down to an increased rev of the engine. I immediately pressed down on the brake to avoid running into traffic. I had no idea this would happen nor did I know this would happen so soon after the ECU was repaired or replaced. I am a loyal customer but as a consumer I should not be put into a situation where the control of a car is impacted by a computer. Nor should I have to endure this unstable situation. I don't think putting a person in harms way justifies Toyota lack of support to the consumer. I need support and a resolution because this performance problem can kill a person and I don't feel we need to lose a life to get the message across.

862e8423, 2014-07-09, 01:19AM CDT

I have a 2005 Toyota Matrix, standard transmission, 145,000 + miles. It's been stalling out when shifting and finally yesterday I couldn't get it started again. I'll be calling the Toyota dealer in the morning to see if the VIN has a recall for the ECM. There is also a ticking sound and my engine has a shake. (sigh)

I want to thank all of you for your posted complaints. It's given me a clearer picture of what I could be dealing with! Special thanks to: cb0f80f5, 2010-10-18, 02:35PM CDT whose post had similar issues as what I'm dealing with. Was there ever a class action suit brought up against Toyota?

30a49f02, 2014-07-26, 01:20PM CDT

I have a 2004 toyota Rav4 L .. Has 63,514 mi... This car has been taken care of and serviced by the book... It is garaged, and driven by an adult... Suddenly with no previous warning the check engine light and VSC lights came on.. we immediately took it to be checked....toyota dealer found multiple codes, PO766,P2238, both codes relating to transmission failure.. Pressure tested .pressure below allowable spec. 4th gear was too low. tested fouth gear test failed. SAid vehicle needed new transmission.. Also found code for Bl S1 sensor..found dead sensor.. not reading air flow properly ..need to replace..I were shocked and upset that a transmission goes with no warning and low milage .. also when I bought the car I had extra platinum coverage of up to 75,000mi. expire2011...passed the 20ll.. but not the milage... I am a loyal customer and take care of my vechicle...There is nothing I did to make this happen.... It is starteling that a reputable company like Toyota does not let their customers know about troubles in their transmission.. It is lucky I did not get in an accident with this going on and me not having any clue... I need resolution to the cost to have to repair my vehicle. of over $3,000.00.... It is beyond comprehension that a Corp... who brags about their cars being on the road for over ten years.. Now, I am trying to correspond to toyota... about this.. Heard back once.. gave me a case number... have not heard again as of July 26, 2014...Toyota needs to take care of its loyal customers and resolve my issue asap.......

862e8423, 2014-07-27, 01:07AM CDT

I previously posted a response and my update is that the Toyota dealer put a new starter in and cleaned the throttle body. No more storms. My Matrix has the high performance 2zz engine.

862e8423, 2014-07-27, 01:09AM CDT