Rumba Island Bar and Grill - Racist Restaurant Owner

Company: Rumba Island Bar and Grill

Location: 1800 Gulf to Bay Blvd
Clearwater, FL, 33765, US

URL: http://rumba.homestead.com/

I am a former employee of this restaurant that kept this type of thing quiet because I needed to keep my job, however since I am no longer there I see no need to keep their dirty little secrets. Let's start with the owner. His name is Nick Papas and he is nothing more than a drunk. He drinks frequently at work usually to the point of being wasted. Even the customers notice his smell and obvious wabble when he walks. He refers quite often to African Americans as the "N" word and says that "we just have to deal with them". The General Manager refers to basketball as "African hand ball". His name is Dave Novak and he also has on many occasions used racist statements to include Blacks, Jews and Latinos. These are the worst kind of people because they pretend to be something that they definitely are not perpetuate this disgusting behavior. By the way these are not sour grapes. This is something that can be confirmed by any employee, they really don't hide it from them. I hope that people read this and these fellows get what they really deserve. If you have any personal pride do not eat here. These are degenerates who make me sick and everyone should know what they are really like.

31d54e4e, 2009-11-12, 08:33PM CST

Point noted. Thank you for posting it so that we can avoid such restaurants! We will never go to this restaurant and will also let everyone know not to visit this restaurant! Thanks!

f800c86d, 2014-11-29, 06:43PM CST

I know this post is 5 years old; but I'm so happy I took the time to research Rumba's history. While they have a Black executive chef and Black singers means little to me. I, too, am Black and relatively new to Clearwater. We've always cooked for, cleaned for and entertained White folks. I have had a terrible race-related incident at the Rumba on GTB too... as a patron. God bless you for sharing your story. I thought I was alone in my perception of Dave Novak and the owners. Your comments have helped me tremendously. Unfortunately, we have a long, long way to go to effectively address race relations especially here in Florida. I love it here, but know clearly from my personal experience at Rumba that racism is still too alive and goes unreported all too often. I'm fighting my case here in a civil and appropriate manner. I'm doing so not only because of the principle involved and the unlawfulness of actions and inactions taken by Nick Pappas and Dave Novak, but mostly to help others see the injustice. I remain prayerful that minds are enlightened and that other's CIVIL RIGHTS are not violated, as were mine based on my race. I've forgiven everyone involved in my horrific situation; but that has nothing to do with seeking accountability and justice! Thank you.