Megabrooke Farm

Company: Megabrooke Farm

Location: 928 6th Road
Herkimer, KS, 66508, US

URL: http://www.megabrookefarm.com/

I purchased a female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from Steve and Margaret Peg Friedrichs from Megabrooke Farm. The dog has since been diagnosed with a congenital defect at the age of 2.

After taking her to a neurologist, it was confirmed that she indeed had chiari-malformation/syringomyelia. A congenital defect that affects the brain and spine, causing symptoms ranging from mild discomfort to severe pain and partial paralysis, it is caused by a malformation in the lower back of the skull which reduces the space available to the brain, compressing it and often forcing it out (herniating it) through the opening into the spinal cord. The neurologist stated that indeed a dog can start to show symptoms as early as 6 months of age and that many times it is misconstrued as allergies (the condition is also known as neck scratchers disease) Her scratching began at 6 months of age and the vet was treating her for allergies the entire time. She was on numerous, anti-histamines, anti-fungals, shampoos and even had a skin scrape. It was not until we took her to the neurologist and got the MRI that it was confirmed.

Unfortunately, when I asked them to cover the MRI bill Peg refused and stated that as per her 1 year health guarantee, I did not meet the cut off date, even though the dog was symptomatic during the time the health guarantee was in effect.

Steve and Margaret Friedrichs also have another website called Backporch Farms www.backporchfarms.com they not only breed and sell Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, but also Basset Hounds, Toy Poodles, Yorkshire Terriers, Italian Greyhounds and English Bulldogs as well. Based on that information it is obvious that they ARE NOT breeding top quality, healthy dogs as their website states. As a matter of fact they had not even heard of the condition until I emailed them about it. How one can breed and sell that many dogs and not know anything about the genetic defects that can affect them is beyond me.

I am posting this to save other dog lovers the aggravation. I have contacted this company and no solution can been reached. Again, this is my own personal experience with these individuals and cannot speak for anyone else. I cannot even begin to tell you what this has cost me, not only financially but emotionally. Yes dogs get sick, there is a financial responsibility that comes with purchasing a pet but to have a dog diagnosed with such a horrible condition at such an early age is unimaginable.

Do your homework before buying a dog. Below is a link that offers information on how to purchase from a reputable breeder. Believe me you will save hundreds if not thousands of dollars in the end.

d05c5e07, 2009-08-20, 08:52AM CDT

I also got an English Bulldog from them just about 2years ago now. Got her at 8 weeks old. 1 week later she was in the emergency hospital! diagnosed with Parvo!!! She almost died!! The vets didn't think she would live. She did :) $4500 later after I had already bought her for $1300. When my boyfriend contacted them they couldn't have cared less and told him she must have gotten it when she arrived to us! Well our vet said that's most likley not possiable because she would have pretty much have gotten it the day she arrived. She was in our home not around any other dogs or anything. They also told me they did not breed English Bulldogs!!!! They said that their own pet bulldogs had her! They specifically told me they didn't breed bulldogs! Beware of these people!They act nice until something happens! so much for their "health guarantee" In the end I am just happy my puppy is healthy and happy now.

5a06fe74, 2009-08-24, 01:35PM CDT

"Ms Roa filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Next Day Pets and they both found in our favor. Please take a look at what our other customers have to say... http://www.megabrookefarm.com/references.htm

840ba13d, 2009-08-26, 10:07AM CDT

840ba13d, 2009-08-26, 10:15AM CDT

Sorry but I beg to differ. I just recently received an email from a gentlemen who purchased a bulldog from you that had Parvo so it seems to me that you are still breeding sick dogs. I have advised him to file the same complaint to the same agencies. Stick to farming and leave the breeding to a more reputable breeders! Also, while you're at it, try updating your reference page. Those same exact references have been there since 2005.

840ba13d, 2009-08-26, 10:22AM CDT

Sorry but I beg to differ. I just recently received an email from a gentlemen who purchased a bulldog from you that had Parvo so it seems to me that you are still breeding sick dogs. I have advised him to file the same complaint to the same agencies. Stick to farming and leave the breeding to the more reputable breeders out there! Also, while you're at it, try updating your reference page. Those same exact references have been there since 2005.

37e1f9f7, 2009-11-22, 09:11AM CST

I am sure there are reputable breeders out there that every once in a while get complaints like this one above. It happens unfortunately. i beleive there are always 2 sides to every story. While Margaret and Steve did not know of the conditon this person has written about they sure know now.

I purchased a female Italian Greyhound at 8 weeks old from her back in 2005.

She is the perfect dog. I can tell by her dispostiion as my dog trainer could also asking if I wanted to breed her, that she came from great stock.

I couldnt be more pleased with my purchase and their handling of my transaction.

And also I am a HUGE believer in pet insurance which if some unforseen medical issue arises it can be covered sometimes 100% if you chose a plan that is only for major medical and not well animal care; like shots and preventitive care.

molly meyers

01f01670, 2010-01-20, 09:49PM CST

It seems to me that you could be sued for slander/libel. You said in your first sentence that your dog was diagnosed with this condition at the age of 2 years, therefore nullifying the one year guarantee. Also, you're slandering their vet, too???!?

eb9f04a4, 2010-02-19, 07:58PM CST

It seems to me that they can be sued for falsely advertising that they sell healthy and high quality dogs! I purchased a pup from them and she was diagnosed with a grade 4 heart murmur and has a luxatting patella that's far from healthy and high quality and the dog's only 3!

I see there site is down hopefully they are no longer breeding.

7a799b2c, 2010-04-20, 05:25PM CDT

It's unfortunate that your dog got sick. It happens. It should not be their responsibility to pay your vet bills if you purchased the dog from them. Truthfully, I've never heard of that condition either. Sounds rare. I bought a dog from them about 7 years ago and she is the healthiest, most adorable, best dog I have ever owned, and the best money I have every sent. I am sorry for your experience but one bad time should not defer others from buying from a respected breeder. Breeders are not responsible for genetics when previous litters are perfectly healthy. I suggest in the future, you request a genetic profile prior to buying your next pet if you want a guarantee, or accept mother nature. Would you request money from the hospital if your child was born with a genetic defect? I think not.

840ba13d, 2010-04-27, 02:13PM CDT

First, the fact that you compare a child to a pet shows how completely ignorant you are and secondly, this is not a first time bad experience as there are others who have purchased sick pups from them as well!! This is the first online complaint that theyve received. If you think that breeding does not come with responsibilities then you are a FOOL and I seriously hope youve neutered or spayed your dog!

eb9f04a4, 2010-05-04, 10:18AM CDT

First, the fact that you compare a child to a pet shows how completely ignorant you are. Secondly If you think that breeding does not come with responsibilities then I seriously hope you have neutered or spayed your dog!

840ba13d, 2010-05-09, 08:33AM CDT

You have never heard of the condition? Sounds rare? Well it's not! It affects cavaliers specifically those that are poorly bred. Look it up!! I am so happy to hear that your dog is healthy and "that was the best money I have every sent."

And as far as your comment, "one bad time" sorry, this is not "one bad time" or the only time. There are others who have purchased sick dogs from them. As a matter of fact, someone contacted me stating their cavalier had issues and their dog's birthday happens to be the same as mine. When I contacted Peg to tell her about the disorder so that she could contact the other buyers she specifically told me my cavi was the ONLY ONE born of that litter. Explain that?! So if you want to come on this forum and share your wonderful experience with them, fine. But don't defend them when it comes to mine, you don't even know half the story let alone what the condition was.

840ba13d, 2010-05-09, 08:28AM CDT

Youve never heard of the condition? Sounds rare? Well its not! It affects cavaliers specifically those that are poorly bred. Look it up!! Im so happy to hear that your dog is healthy and that was the best money I have every sent.

And as far as your comment, one bad time sorry, this is not one bad time or the only time. There are others who have purchased sick dogs from them. As a matter of fact, someone contacted me stating their cavalier had issues and their dogs birthday happens to be the same as mine. When I contacted Peg to tell her about the disorder so that she could contact the other buyers she specifically told me my cavi was the ONLY ONE born of that litter. Explain that?! So if you want to come on this forum and share your wonderful experience with them, fine. But don't defend them when it comes to mine, you don't even know half the story let alone what the condition was.

45813cc2, 2010-07-16, 07:23PM CDT

I am the last of 8 children and I am the only one that has a disease named meniere's. The only close person that I know of that has it is my aunt. So was my mother suppose to give me away cause i 'might' get this disease? I've bought 2 Yorkies from them and a friend bought a Yorkie from them and another friend bought a Cavalier from them and none of us have any problems. Peg and Steve were wonderful to us and I think it was an unfortunate situation.