Amazon.com - Failure to Follow Published Rules

Posted on Friday, January 30th, 2009 at 10:17pm CST by eb2d2882

Company: Amazon.com

Location: PO Box 81226
Seattle, WA, 98108-1226, US

A buyer, using someone else's account, purchased a Battery Grip for a Canon EOS 30D that I had for sale. Despite paying standard shipping, I sent it Priority.

The buyer, whose name I STILL do not know, apparently allowed the item to sit at the address of record for 3 weeks before opening the box. She CLAIMS that I sent the wrong item, so she wrote me asking for a refund. I pointed out that Amazon rules required her to contact me within 14 days of receipt of the item (and I have USPS delivery confirmation of when it was delivered).

Despite this rule violation, I offered her a FULL refund, except that she had to pay for the return S/H, which is another Amazon rule. She flipped out and demanded that I pay for everything! So, she refused the refund and filed a complaint with Amazon.

I find this to be an violation of the Terms of Use by Amazon.com. The buyer has allowed the item to sit somewhere for 3 weeks before looking at it; that's HER fault, not mine. Because she failed to contact me within 14 days of delivery, and refused to accept a refund, I don't see how they allowed her to file a claim! It's clear she has not abided by the Terms of Use, and thus the claim should not have been allowed.

Finally, the claim is still pending, despite the fact that more than 30 days have passed since delivery. ANOTHER Amazon.com rule requires the return of the item within 30 days to get a refund. This has not been done by the Buyer, her THIRD rule violation.

Given the large number of rules violations, I will not refund this woman's money, regardless of what Amazon.com decides in their Claim hearing.

Because of the Claim, Amazon.com has FROZEN my Payments Account, and may keep it frozen for up to 45 days!! I thought PayPal was the only company to perform such reprehensible acts, but it now appears we have another!

I have warned Amazon.com that if a Refund is awarded, I will bring legal action against them and the Buyer for the repeated violations of Amazon's rules by the Buyer, and the FAILURE of the Claims department to refuse this claim due to those rules violations.