South Road Sunoco - Unsatisfactory Customer Service

Product: Sunoco gas station

Company: South Road Sunoco

Location: 2194 South Road
Poughkeepsie, NY, 12601, US

I regularly go to this gas station with my PriceChopper Fuel AdvantEdge card for fuel savings. On Sunday, January 18th, 2009, I accumulated 50 cents per gallon of savings, and went to the Sunoco on South Rd in Poughkeepsie around 5:45 pm. By following the direction at the pump and swiping my AdvantEdge card first, and my credit card, the pump screen showed savings of 50 cents per gallon. When I started to pump, I noticed a garbage bag covered the pump nozzle. I saw several gas stations in northern NY do the same when the weather is too cold. Without seeing an "out of order" notice around the pump, I used it anyways. I only managed to pump very little gas. It didn't work. No receipt was printed either.

I went inside to question the clerk that he should put a note on the pump to inform customers about the problem, just like other gas stations. The clerk offered no help and blamed me for operating a non-working pump by uncovering the garbage bag. He expected all customers to know that a covered gas nozzle means that it is out of order.

Since I have used my AdvantEdge card, and have pumped a bit of gas, I was told I could not change to another pump and take the advantage of gas savings. Upset as I was, I left the gas station without pumping any more gas. This specially planned gas saving trip ended with no savings. What a day! What is this customer service all about?

17d86228, 2012-11-19, 07:14AM CST

Um, sorry to tell you this but a bag covering the pump isn't anything to do with the cold. It's flat out general indication the pump is in non-working conditions. Why WOULD you use a pump that clearly was 'altered' from the rest of the normal (unwrapped) ones in the first place? You knew it was wrapped - you knew it was different for some reason - and yet, you used it anyway. That isn't grounds for a customer service complaint, but of your own chosen ignorance of ignoring the obvious. If there wasn't a bag or a sign and the pump turned out to be defect, then that's a different story.