LL Bean - L.L. Bean products all made in CHINA

Company: LL Bean

Location: Postal Mail L.L.Bean Inc. Freeport, ME 04033-0001 USA
Freeport, ME, 04033-0001, US

URL: http://www.llbean.com/

I purchased a sleeping bag from this supposedly renowed Vermont company w/ a history for quality apparel, reliable outdoor equipment and expert advice for more than 95 years founded in 1912 by Leon Leonwood Bean, and now ALL their products including this sleeping bag are cheap made in china crap.

Why don't they just tell you at the onset on their website that EVERYTHING is made in China????

f5cc932f, 2009-07-13, 08:12PM CDT

not everything's made in China- sometimes Jordan or Cambodia- like the clothing items I was looking at tonight.

3450769b, 2010-02-27, 01:35PM CST

It is truly pathetic - a once great company is now nothing more than a carbon - copy of Walmart, with a faux down-East accent. I treasure my anciently purchased LL Bean shirts and other gear from way back when when they sold real stuff. It used to be a pilgrimage to go to their store in Casco, Maine, I wonder what P.O. Box - type headquarters would be found there now. LL is surely turning in his grave.

a15755e9, 2010-04-19, 10:09AM CDT

I agree. ...and their customer service is absolutely terrible too. All over their web site they claim supposedly 'famous' customer service. I ordered a fly rod outfit and paid for standard shipping. Received it in normal time, but not only was it missing a piece, the remaining piece was broken in half. It was NOT shipping damage--it had clearly been packed that way at the warehouse. I called LL Bean Customer Serv. Dept. the same day...they were friendly enough, and they said to ship it back with the pre-paid shipping label. It takes almost a week for UPS to get it back to them...and then I inquire to find out the status of the replacement. They replied that return processing and shipment of a new one takes 2-3 weeks AFTER they receive the original. I just informed them to ship a new one before the end of the week or I'd cancel the order and demand an immediate refund.

29c8c4b6, 2010-05-23, 07:48PM CDT

LLBEAN is false advertising. recently purchased something and was under the impression based upon the attached tag that it was made in Maine. Even the freaking label was made in China. I don't mind paying more for stuff made in this country, but when you pay more and it still made in china it sucks.

Screw LLBEANE.

Bud

e6e49d96, 2011-11-28, 08:47PM CST

It is sad. LL Bean like most all other companies is adding jobs to China manufacturing. I used to love LL Bean and the stuff I have is all made in the USA. I bought a lot of stuff from LL in the 70s to 90s.

5c62bf6b, 2011-12-11, 03:21PM CST

Thank you all for your information.

The unfortunate reality is that most so-called 'American' companies, and this includes manufacturers of many items (like toys) produce their wares in China. I had a hell of a time finding a present for my 1 1/2 year old nephew because most American companies manufacture their poorly made (and often poisonous) crap in China. I ended up getting books for him. At least I know those are still made here, plus I'm supporting the artist, author, and publisher directly. I refuse to support things imported from China or made using slave labor. We have to speak with our wallets - that's the only way these companies will take notice; not when it kills, mind you, but usually only when it cuts into their profit margins. Sad but true. All these businesses that do nothing but outsource - thus jeopardizing the health and safety of customers - should NOT be in business. Period.

I was going to look up LL Bean for gifts, but no longer.

Mary in Maine, 2013-05-28, 10:48PM CDT

While this response is late to the party, a bit of clarification is needed here: LL Bean is located in Freeport Maine... not Casco and not Vermont (The is another outfit from Vermont).

The catalogs and website clearly mark if the item is imported, so it should not be a surprise and STILL, the company DOES keep its guarantee and will refund your money if you are dissatisfied. Many products they sell are made in Maine and or the US. The store is still on Main Street in the heart of downtown Freeport. If you made the "pilgrimage to Casco" you must have been going out to sea. Casco Bay is the ocean a few miles from town.

If you cannot spell the name right or even call it by the right name, it seems highly doubtful you are or ever were, a customer of L. L. Bean.