General Electric - GE compact helical fluorescent lamp failure

Posted on Saturday, January 10th, 2009 at 8:02pm CST by fafec12c

Product: GE fluorescent lamp FLE 26HT3/2/SW

Company: General Electric

GE Helical 26W compact fluorescent lamp failure:

I replaced a 75 watt incandescent lamp in a ceiling fan fixture with one of these lamps, Part No. FLE 26HT3/2/SW expecting to get at least 3,000 hours of life from it. I received service in the 150-200 hours range, being very generous in estimating the time. It may well have been as little as 120 hours. The lamp was not in use long enough to even gather any dust. It looks as good as it did when it came out of the package. Anyone who uses this type of lamp from GE should write the date in pencil or Sharpie on the base, when it is placed into service. And retain receipts. You will be needing every one of them.

478ba3ce, 2009-08-03, 08:15AM CDT

I had the same problem. My FLE13HT/5/SW last less than 500 hours. Who can I call to get a replacement?

229617fc, 2009-10-13, 09:04AM CDT

I have put these into the fixtures in my home. One day in the bathroom I heard a weird sound. I looked around the corner and one of these bulbs was emiting a white colored gas but was till glowing. I switched off the lights and turned the exhaust fan on to clear the air. I removed the bulb and could see a powdery substance at the base. Of the eight bulbs in our bathroom three of these bulbs have gone dead. The two incandescent bulbs I left in place are still working fine.

8c30cb57, 2010-01-16, 12:38PM CST

I have replaced no less than 10 incandescent lamps with these in various places in my house as well. So far 3 of them have failed. As in the above mentioned situation I also received very little life from them. Certainly no more than 300 hours.

6bdf2291, 2010-02-26, 04:15PM CST

I will not be replacing any more of the incandescents with compact fluorescent lamps. The cost of replacing them more often than a incandescent is too much. The engery savings if not there when you must replace them so soon.

I know that GE is getting them made for very little in China, so maybe they ought to sell them there.

900fe7f1, 2010-06-15, 07:48AM CDT

I have had two or three or the GE Helical 26W bulbs smoke and smell really awful. We have taken them out and not used but I am concerned about what this smoke is and is it a fire hazard.

a6553495, 2010-11-14, 07:34AM CST

I installed a similar bulb in a garage on 9/17/2010. It was not working on 11/7/2010. The bulb was only installed in the socket for 1200 hours. Of those hours, I don't think it was actually powered more than 10 or 12 hours.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I started dating the bulbs when I realized that I was buying many more compact fluorescent bulbs than I ever bought incandescent bulbs.

788ccdde, 2010-11-18, 11:34AM CST

Had a similar experience and thought it was my computer failing. The smell was awful and lasted over an hour, even with two exhaust fans turned running after this incident.

Given that the sale of the incandecant light bulb will be outlawed in a couple of years, I guess this mandate is yet another example of our government attempt to "protect us" from using too much energy. In the future, I will favor regular light bulbs and stock up before Big Brother outlaws their sale.

e76c9803, 2011-02-21, 05:48AM CST

Same here; the GE Helical 26W was placed in an overhead wall fixture in my bathroom. Lasted about 4 months - bathroom light is on about 2 hours/day at most. Supposed to last long enough for 24/7 for 4 months. I figure we are getting about 1/12th the expected life out of these bulbs.

bdc644e9, 2011-02-23, 07:44AM CST

Same here I just lost 2 Helical 26W at the same time but the other one ( in same sockets sets) is still working,,,, for now. I am not one bit pleased. False Advertising I am thinking..

bd5c14d4, 2011-03-31, 11:15AM CDT

I have only been buying the helical bulbs for about a year. I have now had 3 of them fail. Two were the 26 watt and one was the 15 watt. The 3000 hour life is a myth. This last failure was more like 30 hours.

Pam H., 2012-08-10, 01:18PM CDT

I moved into my new residence August 29, 2011. I purchased 25 GE HELICAL 26W bulbs at Sam's Club. I live alone & only turn on lights if I'm in a particular room. I have replaced 16 of these bulbs in less than 1 year! I thought I was spending more money to SAVE money. I am very disappointed with these bulbs. They certainly don't last even half as long as a regular bulb did.

0d7863e8, 2013-01-25, 08:11PM CST

Mine have lasted years, but recently started smoking and emitting a foul smell. I read elsewhere people have had these light on fire. I removed my light bulbs, but I don't have the product info, just the bulbs.

6bbcea74, 2013-06-26, 05:20PM CDT

We experienced a terrible acrid smell from this bulb, and immediately removed it. It is made in China (written right on the bulb), and I'm concerned that the fumes are toxic. I'm disappointed and angry. I'd like my money back, and if it is determined that the burning smell is toxic, then I'd like my money back PLUS damages.