general electric - ge dishwasher a fire hazard

Posted on Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 at 8:14pm CST by d27829fc

Product: ge monogram dishwasher

Company: general electric

I am appalled at General Electric's customer service. Our 15 month old monogram dishwasher turned on the heating element by itself and melted the inside of the dishwasher. I came home to acrid smoke and a melted dishwasher. GE service said that they would replace the panel as this had occurred in a "small percentage" of their dishwashers but that we would have to pay $125 for the installation. Let me get this straight: I buy the top of the line dishwasher-it is only 15 months old - and it turns itself on, causing horrible plastic smoke (and an asthma attack)- melts the interior, ruins the few items that were in it and could have burned down the house had I not gotten home, AND THEY WANT ME TO PAY TO HAVE IT FIXED!! I will never buy a GE item again and I want everyone I know to hear about this.

3acdf6f4, 2009-07-15, 02:19PM CDT

The same thing just happened to us on our 2 year-old GE Smart Dispense Profile dishwasher. My daughter was home alone and noticed the smell of burning plastic. Everything inside the dishwasher had melted, including the racks, utensil tray and the entire bottom of the dishwasher. I am so lucky she caught it, but what would have happened to her if she hadn't figured it out? Not sure what (if anything) GE is going to do about it, but I sure don't want to use it even after it's fixed!

37d0ceed, 2009-10-19, 07:21AM CDT

The same thing just happened to ours. The only difference is, I will call GE to tell them what happened but I will be buying a new Bosch DW. I won't have another GE. The control panel broke twice and the wheels melted. We had this dw for 5 years when it almost caught on fire.

58cd5fae, 2009-11-21, 08:05AM CST

Same thing happened to me last night. I have a GE monogram dishwasher model ZBD6880k10ss...melted everything in it...utensils in adjacent drawers in my cabinets were all hot and the granite was super hot above!! Have called customer service and have service call scheduled for Monday...we'll see!!