LifeWatch USA - LifeWatch USA Poor customer Service

Posted on Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 at 10:50am CST by 906bf7e5

Product: emergency call system for elderly parent

Company: LifeWatch USA

Location: Hewlitt, NY, N/A, US

URL: http://www.lifewatch-usa.com

In mid. Dec 2008, i signed up my elderly mother for LifeWatch USA, after checking them out online and talking to them multiple times on the phone. The customer service has been very disappointing!

1) I was never told in multiple calls that i would need a DSL filter (she has cable TV and internet); When i finally was told about this DSL filter right when i ordered, i had to actually delay my return home to drive into town (far) where my mom lives to buy the DSL filter

from Radio Shack (good thing she had a Radio Shack in town!)

2) The equipment arrived 3 days later than i was told it would.

3) Upon receipt of the box, there was an equipment-return fee that had NEVER been mentioned in phone conversations or on website;

4) There was a photo-copied HAND-DRAWN sketch of how to hook up the unit, and NO mention or instructions on how to use the supposedly required DSL filter;

5) Different places on the website gave different promises of how far the unit "reached" in capability, and how long the battery back up would last. The girl i was talking with said they hadn't updated the website yet.

6) When i called someone about all this when my mom had finally received the unit, the first 2 people i talked to had no answers for me about these issues. I was assured the "supervisor would call me back on Monday." No one ever called. Then came multiple health

crises for 2 sets of parents and the holidays, and i set these concerns aside.

7) I phoned there again recently when my mom was in hospital very ill; i wanted to notify them; customer service ends at 5 PM! I left my name and number, and no one called back.

8)On Wednesday (Jan. 14), i called again. Pam the customer service rep was very dismissive of my questions and

suggestions, saying they were "petty"; she constantly interrupted me, was obviously eating during the call, and made little attempt to respond to my complaints. She did apologize for no one calling me back.

She said the bottom line is that my mom has the emergency system 24/7. I said that there are many companies that can do this, but what would make a company stand out is the quality of their customer service, and as far as i was concerned, they were batting zero with me right now. She said, "Other companies have a very high rate of complaints, and we charge less. Happy New year." ... and rang off.

So then I posted an email about all this directly on their website, and have never heard back from any company rep.

a2118d61, 2009-06-16, 10:58PM CDT

Lifewatch has answered this complaint.

We have been helping senior citizens for over 29 years. We are referred by many hospitals and healthcare orgs.

The complaint above is not related to our job of saving lives when seniors press their button,which is our main priority.

As far as customer service the CEO, Evan Sirlin can be reached directly at [email protected] His policy is the customer is always right and customer satisfaction is number one.

bec5398e, 2010-05-20, 06:24PM CDT

I WAS considering Lifewatch USA for my mother until I read your review. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with this company. We certainly need to invite more aggravation into our lives.

74a46604, 2010-08-16, 01:57PM CDT

I returned the package as i realised it wouldn't help at greater distances and it was more expensive than promised eg.$12.95 special. I mailed the package returning it as I was instructed. it was well marked with a note inside. somebody at Hewlitt managed to mis lay it although I used the address given on the package.I have no return receipt. Neither was it returned to my address.Not something anyone would wish to steal.

450f9d95, 2010-09-08, 03:12PM CDT

To the Contrary, LifeWatch USA has been nothing but couteous and professional. I would recommed them to anyone !!

3314d2c8, 2011-01-04, 06:36AM CST

Thanks for posting this information! I needed a medical alarm for my mom & was considering Lifewatch.I ended up calling Blue Alert Medical Alarms & they we're extremely helpful & courteous! They also came to my mom's house & installed the device. No regrets!

b928cdb6, 2011-10-31, 01:58PM CDT

In June,2006,my mother signed a contract with Lifewatch and paid the required up front fees, including a refundable $100 deposit. On August 16,2011, we shipped all the equipment to the Lynbrook,New York office as instructed by customer service. On August 22nd, I spoke to Jasmine in customer service and was told a refund would take 4-6 weeks. On Sept. 9th, Maria in cust.service said it takes 6-8 weeks. On Oct.15th, Jasmine said she will take it up with Paule, the billing supervisor.On Oct. 21st,Jasmine informed me that the check was processed and waiting for signature.Ten days later, on Oct. 31st, Jasmine spoke to the outside bookkeeper and was told that the check was mailed with a batch on Oct. 26th and should arrive any day. Is it a fair practice to hold back the refund of a senior citizen (96 years old) and also not to prorate the quarterly fee which was paid in advance. This company will take advantage of the elderly unless there is someone to keep after this company. Maybe they need the $100 more than my mother does. I have heard others complain of similar nature so this must be their practice, and perhaps elderly customers don't even remember that a deposit refund should be issued. Is that how this company makes their money??

4740858d, 2012-04-10, 07:05PM CDT

I am also waiting 3 mos for $100. re of

fundable deposit for Ethel Thompson

Jerry G, 2012-04-27, 02:38PM CDT

Lifewatch USA sells their products using telephone solicitors in the Philippines. They ignore the National Do Not Call Registry, and transmit phony caller ID information. If you ask one of their solicitors what company they work for they won't tell you. Investing.businessweek.com lists the company but has no information on the company's leadership. Sure sounds like a group of people who prefer to hide in the shadows. I wonder why?

0e7809ff, 2012-11-01, 02:13PM CDT

Recently, a few days ago in fact, LifeWatch USA solicited my elderly father by phone and talked him into accepting their Medical Alert monitoring service. As per my father, they told him it would cost $30 monthly for monitoring and he pays nothing for the equipment. Later that day my father's credit card company contacted him stating LifeWatch tried charging not only $30 but a few minutes later charged $100, $1,000.00, $2,000.00, %5,000.00. The $5,000.00 did not go thru due to exceeding my father's credit limit. They then tried charging another $1000.00. Myself and the credit card company's rep were dumbfounded. How could a so-called legitimate company do this. First of all, my father thought he was speaking to Life Alert. So we wanted nothing to do with LIFEWATCH!!! We are reporting the actions of this company to the highest level. I called LIFEWATCH but only spoke to a receptionist who stated a salesperson would need to call me in 1 to 2 days and that no one is available. As stated in a prior complaint, their sales people are in Philippines....they may have tried putting these erroneous charges thru. Well, it doesn't matter who did it because that person represented LIFEWATCH. Even more reason for us/we/people to not deal with companies who allow overseas workers to get into our private info. LIFEWATCH sucks!!!!

5c7a2ae9, 2013-01-16, 03:41PM CST

After contacting a sales representative about the GPS system for my elderly father who has severe dementia we were told that we could try it for $40.00 a month payable quarterly and at any time we could return this unit if we found it not to be useful for our needs and that he would not be charged any more monthly payments after they recived it back. We returned thieir merchandise the 5th day of January. Our account was charged for 3 months on January 2nd in the amount of $119.00. We called them about the refund of The quarterly payment charged to the account and was told they would not refund his money for any of the unused months. Needless to say I had cancelled this service in December with a representative after making numerous calls to them always to be told all reps were busy and would return my calls which they never did. People BEWARE, some of this company's reps are not informing you of how this really works. These companies prey on our elderly and make a lot of money off them for nothing.

5121c9e1, 2013-03-26, 11:35AM CDT

LIFEWATCH USA SOLICITED MY ELDERLY PARENTS BY PHONE AND TALKED THEM INTO ACCEPTING THEIR SERVICE. THEY TOLD MY FATHER THAT IT COULD BE PAID BY "MONTHLY PAYMENTS". THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO ONLY TAKE OUT ONE PAYMENT BUT TOOK OUT $114.99 THAT SAME DAY. I RETURNED THE UNIT PER THEIR INSTRUCTIONS AND WAS TOLD THE REFUND WOULD BE 2-5 DAYS AFTER RECEIPT OF THE PACKAGE. THEY RECEIVED THE PACKAGE ON FEBRUARY 26 AND TODAY IS MARCH 27 AND NO REFUND HAS BEEN MADE. I HAVE SPOKEN TO COMPANY REPRESENTATIVES WHO SWEAR THAT A CREDIT WAS ISSUED BUT MY FATHERS BANK HAS NO RECORD OF SUCH CREDIT. I HAVE ASKED FOR A TRACE NUMBER SO I COULD PROVIDE THAT TO THE BANK AND LIFEWATCH HAS NO RECORD OF IT. THEY HAD NO PROBLEM TAKING THE MONEY, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO GIVING IT BACK TO ELDERLY PEOPLE THEY HAVE A BIG PROBLEM DOING THAT. I WILL NOT STOP COMPLAINING UNTIL MY PARENTS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SETTLED PROPERLY AND SATISFACTORILY. LIFEWATCH USA I HOPE YOU SEE THIS. I WILL BE REPORTING YOU TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU NEXT FOR FRAUD.

*******************BUYERS BEWARE******************

Business Reply  alex l., 2013-04-13, 07:04PM CDT

As an employee of LifeWatch, I am disturbed to hear these comments. I am a supervisor at the call center and we take these issues very seriously. Please call me at 800-716-1433 x138 and I will do everything in my power to resolve this issue

fa527abc, 2013-05-14, 03:50PM CDT

I JUST LEFT A MESSAGE ON ANSWERING MACHINE 1-800.716.1433, EXT 138. DO HOPE THIS IS RECEIVED, AS I HAVE TRIED TO REACH LIFEWATCH FIVE TIMES BY PHONE (LEAVING A MESSAGE EACH TIME WITH THE SO-CALLED "ANSWERING SERVICE" WHICH IS A TELEMARKER FOR LIFEWATCH). THEY TAKE MY INFORMATION & INPUT IT INTO THE COMPUTER AND STATE THAT SOMEONE WILL CALL ME. TO DATE, NO RESPONSE. I SENT AN E-MAIL ON SATURDAY, 05,11.2013......NO RESPONSE TO THAT EITHER. I WILL BE TURNING THIS OVER TO THE ATTORNEY AND ALSO WILL CONTACT THE BBB.

5121c9e1, 2013-05-14, 04:08PM CDT

TO fa527abc: YOU WILL HAVE TO EMAIL PAM COHEN. SHE ANSWERS EMAIL FOR THE OWNER CONTACT HER AT [email protected] THAT IS THE ONLY WAY ANYTHING GETS RESOLVED. THE ANSWERING SERVICE IS USELESS. HOPE YOU GET YOUR MATTER TAKEN CARE OF.

fa527abc, 2013-05-14, 05:09PM CDT

THANK YOU 5121c9e1. I E-MAILED PAM RIGHT AWAY AFTER READING YOUR POST.

AM SURE THIS IS A WAIT & SEE ALSO. I AM SO LIVID BECAUSE I AM SPENDING SO MUCH TIME ON THIS FOR THE LADY FOR WHOM I AM TRUSTEE. SHE IS 86 & LEGALLY BLIND, SO I MUST DO EVERYTHING. THANX AGAIN.

Business Reply  alex l., 2013-06-03, 05:42PM CDT

You can also email me at [email protected] I left my number above, there is no prompt to enter an extension, as soon as you hear: Thank you for calling Lifewatch, dial 138 and then #. I work closely with Pam, and can handle any issues you might have

fa527abc, 2013-05-15, 12:53PM CDT

PAM (LIFEWATCH-USA CUSTOMER SERVICE) WAS PROMPT IN ANSWERING MY YESTERDAY'S E-MAIL, BY GIVING ME HER CELL PHONE NR AND TO CALL HER. WHEN I DID CALL AND GAVE HER THE INFORMATION SHE REQUIRED, SHE ASSURED ME A REFUND TO MY CLIENT IS FORTHCOMING. WE DO APPRECIATE HER ASSISTANCE IS BRINGING THIS TO A SATISFACTORY CLOSURE

5121c9e1, 2013-05-15, 01:21PM CDT

fa527abc- I'M GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO GET THE RESOLUTION YOU NEEDED. I WENT THROUGH A VERY FRUSTRATING 5 WEEKS OF TRYING TO GET THE MATTER SOLVED. MS. COHEN IS PROMPT AND IS KIND ENOUGH TO OFFER HER CELL NUMBER ALTHOUGH I NEVER CALLED HER. GOOD LUCK

Barb P., 2013-06-28, 08:45PM CDT

This has to be the WORST company!!! We have been calling for 5 days and I have made sure to call from my cell phone so I can prove it. I work in the healthcare industry and I would NEVER recommend this company to my worst enemy! My mom has misplaced her necklace and we have been trying to get a replacement. Her health has deteriorated and she needs to be able to call for help. We get told this person will call you back or Jonas will call you back....well that has not happened. Almost 6 days and we still do not have a replacement for her or have not heard from anyone. The lady even said "well she has one on the wall right", My reply---yes but it doesnt do her any good when she is lying on the floor! Then the lady has the gall to tell me she will put it through as a service call to see if they respond quicker...REALLY you just said that to me??? Now we are in a position and our mom is paying for a service but can not use it. Again this company should not even be providing their products to patients who depend on them (the company) to keep them safe in their homes. I do not like being lied to and I certainly DO NOT and WILL NOT stand for our moms safety be jeopardized. This company should be ashamed of the way they treat their customers! I will go to all extents to spread the word.