Costco - Costco Sealy Posturpedic mattress

Posted on Monday, February 16th, 2009 at 12:34pm CST by 45955ed9

Product: Sealy Waterbrook Mattress

Company: Costco

URL: http://costco.com/

I've recently purchased two Costco Waterbrook mattresses, and they are both still emitting a foul chemical odor a month after they were unwrapped. Costco says they will replace it, but only with the identical mattress, which, they admit, will likely emit the same fumes. According to the information I received, they are shipping mattresses that are only constructed a week before delivery, and therefore the glues and foam are not properly cured. These mattresses outgas to the extent that you can smell them from the hallway leading up to the bedroom, and since sleeping on my mattress, I've had respiratory problems and stinging eyes. I phoned Sealy, and the representative I spoke to denied that outgassing was occurring, and asserted that there are no health problems associated with breathing fumes from inadequately cured mattresses. He cheerfully compared this to "a new car smell".

I strongly advise that you don't buy a mattress from Sealy or Costco, as neither has recognized the health issues involved in exposing their customers to mattresses that are tightly wrapped just after construction, trapping these fumes for release in their homes. This website has interesting data on mattress outgassing: