Design Built Contractors - Will not pay their contractors

Product: contracting

Company: Design Built Contractors

Location: 10830 North Central Expressway Suite 375
Dallas, TX, 75231, US

Dan Fafsa the owner of Design Built Contractors, still owes a lot of money to contractors on a Hotels in the DFW area. He has not paid his sub-contractors on time or cheats them by lowering the amount they were suppose to get, I have heard he has put sub-contractors out of business. Anyone else that he owes money or cheated?

b7a781d1, 2009-12-18, 08:57AM CST

ac2076b0, 2009-12-18, 02:17PM CST

"This is not true, the only reason if you were not paid is because you did not complete the work and or had to be replaced. Ficticious statements can lead to law suits by false defamation of Character however if you wish to handle this through more professional manner I urge you to contact me or leave your contact information and not hide behind Anonymity!"

Reply:

Dan Vafa, its is true! Dan Vafa, there is a whole group of sub's that have been done wrong by you, and everyone has been scared by your legal scare tactics like "I am going to sue you" forget it. Dan Vafa its about time the truth comes out! And belive me if you do sue there will be enough people including your staff and owners of the hotels and even HOTEL FRANCHISES that can testify of your devious and un-professional deed's, but belive me Dan Vafa your deed's will catch up with you soon. Dan Vafa just wait and see. If your are the public, just ask any of the hotel owners or sub contractors he has worked with, and let them tell you the horros they have went through with Dan Vafa.

5a9dae69, 2010-05-13, 05:26PM CDT

Dan Vafa is anything but honest. His employees are cut from the same piece of cloth, they are just as guilty as he is when commiting fraud. One is trying so hard to be like Dan, I don't think she even knows who she is. One wants acceptance so bad he is a puppet. His accountant is perhaps the most lethal as she not only handles the finances but she is a notary. A notary who commits fraud. Design Build has forged documents, commited insurance fraud several times over, in fact he had embezzeled over $700K from a bank that had financed one of his Ft Worth jobs. He got busted because the sub-contractor he claimed the funds under was sent a W4 by the bank for taxes and the sub reported it. Fortunately, the owner of the property got his money back b/c the bank was in error of releasing the funds. Design Build ended up settling the case with the sub for an undisclosed amount. He is a shame in the builders world - ask any respectable contractor in the hotel industry and they will confirm this. His tactics are to bully the owners, bully his subs - he entices new subs to sign on for a deep discount on a new job in return for more work to the subs...these subs get hosed and then in turn the hotel owners get hosed, why? b/c he collects from the owners the subs fee's, does not pay the subs what he collected, and then he advises them to file liens. Design Build has been fired from so many jobs once the owners realize his tactics. Poor owner in Garland of the Holiday Express, 2 years later and still struggling to get his official CO. No one ever goes through life without Karma coming to visit. The arrogance and cockiness that these group of people walk around with is thier belief that they can get away with anything. It is the calm before the storm. If the legal system has not caught up with them, they will. No one ever gets away with crime, especially when the crime effects so many lives, from the man who makes $7.25/hr to the owners who hired him. This attitude of, "it's all about me", will soon be just that, except it will include courtrooms filled with DA's wanting to put him and his fraudulent staff away. Even the smartest make mistakes......Signing, Notarizing and providing fraudulent documents to banks - oh yeah. This will be good, sweet payback, and the best part is that it will all have been done legally, ethically, and morally just - this is for every single person who has ever been taken advantage of. These statements are very much true.

b7fd0ae9, 2010-05-13, 05:51PM CDT

Dan Vafa has cheated too many people to count. His employees are just as corrupt as he is. He is guilty of defrauding a bank an amount of $700K +. He has defrauded owners of funding intended for the subs, he has defrauded subs of monies due to them. His accountant may have worked for Enron in the past as she engages in fraudulent notarizations of documents. Insurance fraud is no little a feat. The hotels he claims he has built in his nice presentations are actually not all his, some were built by very respectable builders in the DFW area. He's been fired by several owners for his misdeeds. He bullies people into doing what he wants, that includes the owners and his subs. He talks a convincing talk, but his words are just that, words. He does not have a backbone to be honest. Ask him how many subs and thier kids struggled while he took money intended for them and got a boat for the company or how he funded his Porsche. Somehow he's walked away scott free. But Karma is right around the corner. The legal system is soon going to catch up with him. The latest is his anability to handle the truth and decided he was going to beat up a older man b/c he did not give Design Build a good reference. Insteand the man spoke the truth. Funny how that truth stings. So I guess when bullying fails, violence is not so far behind. I don't blame the person prior to me not relinquishing his name. Design Build is not worthy of my time or energy, so this will be one of the very few times I may lift a finger and say something. Otherwise, I am going to sit back and watch Karma (with a little help of the legal system) give Dan and his staff a little dose of what they have been so unethically and immorrally dishing out to those who put trust in him. Best part is - I will watch this as he pays his dues and it will be done legally, ethically, and morally. In the name of all the subs and thier kids who struggled b/c he jipped them of thier income, the owners who stressed day in day out and their kids who were effected while Dan lavished his own. A man who has no problem stealing from one childs mouth, food that is so vital to survival, and lavishes in it by purchasing company boats, luxury cars, and other expensive tastes deserves no kindness or thoughtfullness. Design Build has been making it's bed for a long time now, and it's about to find out what it's like to sleep in it. One final comment, nothing here is a lie, all of it is backed up with statments, affadavit after affadavit, and of course our own personal experience with this granite salesman who overnight thought he was a builder. Operative Word: Thought. :)

8d9e5d61, 2010-07-28, 06:33PM CDT

DBC is a bunch of criminals in my oppinion. They are also incredibly distrustful and cheats. Simple as that, they lie and cheat to get money saved on contracts, threaten lawsuits and bully. Hes a joke.

e815ecc8, 2010-09-04, 07:02PM CDT

I heard that Dan Vafa and Design build Contractors would submit false pay apps to the banks for inflated amounts get the checks in the name of the subs then cash the checks at his wifes bank where she worked i think it is Citibank. he would then pocket the difference. I heard that he abandoned one project midway through a La Quinta in Arlington Texas on East Chase Parkway. The lender on the project Diamond Bay investments of Las Vegas is going to submit to the DA's office. I heard DA is already looking into him. He is currently being sued by several subs for nonpayment. You can check this at the Dallas County Courts online info page

bdb5e69e, 2011-01-13, 05:03PM CST

I second this complaint and am a victim of DBC's poor business practices. He still owes me money that I am sure Ill never see. STAY AWAY FROM DAN VAFA an DBC, Inc.

4c6b704f, 2011-03-01, 06:28PM CST

THIS IS A POOR ATEMPT OF RETALIATION FOR BEING RELEASED FROM A PROJECT FOR NUMEROUS OF REASONS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO FAULTY WORK, MAN POWER, SUB STANDARD MATERIALS ETC, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME OR COME BY THE OFFICE TO DISCUSS, I WOULD CONTACT YOU IF YOUR CONTACT INFO WAS PUBLISHED?

4c6b704f, 2011-03-01, 06:40PM CST

THIS IS A POOR ATEMPT OF RETALIATION FOR BEING RELEASED FROM A PROJECT, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME OR COME BY THE OFFICE TO DISCUSS, I WOULD CONTACT YOU IF YOUR CONTACT INFO WAS PUBLISHED?

"Again the only reason if you were not paid is because you did not complete the work and or had to be replaced. Ficticious statements can lead to law suits by false defamation of Character as this web site explains...I assume thats why you refuse to publish your company name/Contact info! however if you wish to handle this through a more professional manner I urge you to contact me or leave your contact information and not hide behind Anonymity!"

4c6b704f, 2011-03-01, 06:44PM CST

2bc4e5f0, 2011-03-01, 07:07PM CST

Dan asked me to reply to these false claims, I can personally assure anyone that Dan Vafa did not refuse to pay any sub that was working within the guidelines and scope of their contract.

Dan acted as a Construction Manager on this project and all subs and payments where approved by myself and paid through our Bank by direct check after the work was inspected by the bank inspector. Any reduction of contract or release of sub contractor was authorized by me for adequate reasons.

Mr. Patel

2bc4e5f0, 2011-03-01, 07:23PM CST

I am the owner of the hotel that received the poor work by this sub, we had contracted for a complete landscape and irrigation system per plans, this contractor had contracted with another sub contractor without our consent who proceeded to cheat us in many ways. They would install less sprinkler heads and less landscape then what was listed in the plans, meanwhile using smaller plants in which most where near dead. These two subs where constantly trying to change order the job and would supply only 2-3 men missing deadlines and delaying the opening. All this is documented with pictures and job logs as well documeted with the city. Dan Vafa worked well with our owners group and we will continue to use him in the future as we are.

bdb5e69e, 2012-02-29, 01:53PM CST

Another contractor here that was left in the wind by DBC and Dan Vafa. One instance was DBC was fired by the hotel owner so I had to go and negotiate directly with the new GC. I did get to finish the project but had to wait several months to get paid. Another seperate hotel DBC was fired from for poor business ethics I was left out in the cold. All materials were onsight and I never recieved payment in full. Dan likes to lie and say its the subs fault however his customers will tell you a diffrent story. SORRY PERSON AND HORRIBLE BUSINESS. Cant wait to hear the day he is pushed out of business. Latest news is I hear the IRS is after him. I have been in business for 13 years and have never met a bigger liar or thief.