Nikon - Flimsy Nikon Coolpix S560

Posted on Saturday, August 22nd, 2009 at 11:11pm CDT by d333d16c

Product: Nikon Coolpix S560 digital camera

Company: Nikon

Location: Nikon Inc. Photo & Digital Service Nikon, Inc. Factory Service 1300 Walt Whitman Rd.
Melville, NY, 11747, US

URL: http://support.nikontech.com

Paying around $150 for my new Nikon Coolpix S560 camera this June, I was saddened when it didn't hold up during our mid-July vacation. In Colorado I obtained a rubber band to hold the plastic door shut that covers the battery & memory slot at the bottom of the camera body. Nikon's tech support response with an approx. $75 repair estimate on 8/4/09 was, "Thank you for your inquiry. The damage to the battery chamber was caused by an external force, and cannot occur by the camera itself. We have not had previous issues with the battery door on the Coolpix S560 camera. Damage of this type is not covered by our warranty, which is why we sent an estimate for the repair."

During our 10-day vacation, this camera was in my possession in a nice padded case sized for this particular Coolpix camera. I only removed the battery a few times to recharge it. I properly and carefully slipped the plastic battery cover back into its narrow slot each time. There was no external force exerted on the battery door. I question this is the first time Nikon has had this flaw reported re: their cameras with similar design; one in which an ultra thin brittle plastic lip is all that holds the battery cover down. I do suspect this is a standard response to consumers so as not to fix cheaply-designed products free under warranty. Since a rubber band wouldn't work long-term given it partially covered the flash cover, Nikon had me over a barrel. Pay them nearly $75 ($56 + P&H) or discard a 6-week old $150 camera.