Huntington Bank - Huntington Bank (possibly the worst bank on the planet)

Posted on Sunday, August 16th, 2009 at 6:44pm CDT by 53b5e1ce

Product: Huntington Bank Checking

Company: Huntington Bank

Location: columbus, oh, 43229, US

URL: http://huntington.com/

First of all I would like to explain that I never chose huntington bank as my checking account provider. I have been a Sky bank customer nearly all my life, and huntington bought sky bank out 5 or so years ago. Immediately, a few friends of mine told me to close the account, as they had huntington accounts and warned me of the malicious practices the bank pulls.

I did not close, my biggest mistake. I would also like to state that I have a secondary account with Chase, and neither of my accounts have never, ever been overdrawn in my life. Nor have I experienced anything like this with Chase.

Primarily, i use my chase account for every day purchases. My huntington account is for direct debits/ deposits and to pay bills so there is never more or less money in the account than needed. I underestimated my car payment this month by 0.60. Huntington bank immediately charged me a $37.50 fee. The check was never pending, it posted straight to my account with the $37.50 fee. I checked my account at midnight before going to bed and had $278.20 in the account. I woke up at 530am and my car payment had been deducted at 278.80, a 0.60 oversight on my part, and was accompanied with a 37.50 NSF fee. I immediately drove to the closest huntington and deposited $40 cash, enough to cover the 0.60 oversight and the nsf fee, hours before the bank even opened for business. I asked a customer service rep if the $37.50 charge could be removed since I have had the account for so long without overdrafting and since it was an obviously a small mistake. The rep was unapologetic, rude and brash and basically told me I'm terrible at keeping track of money by suggesting I keep a registry for my account.

Keep a registry for my account? I am 25 years old, and have had a bank account since 13. I KNOW HOW TO KEEP A REGiSTRY FOR MY ACCOUNTS HENCE WHY I HAVE NEVER EVER BEEN OVERDRAWN IN MY LIFE! It was 0.60 god damn cents! After going back and forth a few more times, I was basically told there is no way the charge is being removed, even after I threatened to close the account.

There is 1.90 left in the account, I told that snooty bitch she and her malicious bank can keep the fees and the 1.90 left in the account because obviously they need it more than me.

b99be8ec, 2009-11-09, 01:15PM CST

Huntington is a deceptive bank! They will make you think it is all your fault, mean while I informed them that I also balancing a checkbook since I was a teenager without issue, so it must nbe something they are doing! I am convinced that they have teams within this organization that monitors vulnerable accounts so that they may fleece these individuals. Many people in other blogs share these same suspicions at times the cascade of NSF charges seems too perfect! This is a fraudulent bank. Any potential customers stay away! Word of advice!

b7e78d40, 2009-12-03, 12:15PM CST

This is kind of funny. I hate to say it but .60 overdraft is still and overdraft. The conditions that would cause an OD fee to be applied to ANY bank account would be a transaction that causes an account to become OD, or hits the account while it is OD.

I understand that it was only 60 cents, and I feel that you could have been compensated, sure.

But you know what? You still overdrew your account. I'm assuming thats what hurts.

212a23d7, 2010-03-09, 01:05PM CST

I feel for you. Huntington just took my whole paycheck 350.00 plus another 36.00 in the hole because i was double charged on a bill which left my account 12.00 overdrawn. i called an explained they said nothing they could do. they just took all my money and ran. Huntington banks as well as most banks are nothing but thieves in my opinion.

00df2f9f, 2014-05-16, 11:21AM CDT

Huntington is by far the most under handed bank. I too was a Sky bank customer and forced to a huntington account. I am closing the account today and will forever tell people how bad and deceptive they truly are.

J G., 2014-12-11, 08:03PM CST

I received a letter via certified mail today. Upon reading the enclosed letter, I saw that it was a notification stating that Huntington Bank had taken it upon themselves to close both my checking and savings account. I received the letter today, 12/11/14. They are freezing all activity on my Debit Card on 12/15/14. Yes...a very short notice of only 4 days. The next step is completing closing both my savings and checking account on 12/22/14. Again...a terribly short notice. So here it is right before Christmas and I have to deal with this hassle. It's not right. And of course like most of us in the modern world of technology, my paychecks are directly deposited into these accounts. What a pathetic thing for Huntington Bank to do, right?

So of course I wanted to know what was going on. A number was listed at the bottom of the document. This was the number to call if you had any further questions. I definitely did as the letter itself provided none. I call the number and was directed immediately to leave a voice-mail and I should receive a response by the next business day. Seriously? I consider that extremely unprofessional to put it mildly.

And now the best part! I received a response to the message I had left. The customer service representative from Huntington started into her "speech" immediately leaving me to wait until I could say a single word. Once she rambled off a bunch of legal jargon she asked if I had any questions. Of course I did as they had completely spoke over during the entire conversation. I wanted to know why Huntington was taking this action. And.....she REFUSED to provide any explanation whatsoever!?!? I was in disbelief. I had been a loyal customer for many, many years and had never so much as had an overdraft fee and now I am treated like this?!

Huntington Bank is extremely unprofessional and I am highly upset at the attitude displayed toward me by Huntington as well as the fact they are closing my accounts on an EXTREMELY short notice without so much as an explanation.

Please let your family and friends know the unprofessional manner in which Huntington conducts its business practices!