Sears - Kenmore Exploding Range

Posted on Thursday, August 13th, 2009 at 11:04am CDT by 3ae4abfe

Product: Kenmore 790.79383400

Company: Sears

Location: Sears, Roebuck and Co.
Hoffman estates, IL, 60179, US

URL: http://www.sears.com/

I purchased a range from Sears in 2005. On 8/10/2009 a relay in the electronic control module failed in spectacular fashion -- sparks, smoke, and lots of noise. Almost a dozen conversations with Sears Customer Service reps have resulted in no satisfaction, whatsoever, with an obvious (and dangerous) manufacturer defect. The repair bill they want me to pay: $720. The cost of replacing the range with a similar new one: $400.

The situation has been exacerbated by the disingenuous way in which I've been treated by Sears employees. I've been lied to (told that Kenmore is not part of Sears -- an obvious fabrication), intentionally misled, sent on a circuitous path to non-existent customer service, routed to unattended numbers, and hung up on.

This range failed after only 4 years of light use and Sears would have me pay twice its replacement value to have it repaired. They obviously fail to see that this situation results directly from their shortcoming.

I expect some accountability from a company of their size. I expect reasonable service. I expect better value from the "durable goods" that I purchase. I expect some satisfaction.

I expect better.