Empire Gold Buyers

Posted on Monday, August 10th, 2009 at 8:17am CDT by e52108db

Company: Empire Gold Buyers

Location: Empire Gold Buyers 2 West 46th Street Suite 509 New York, NY 100
US

Empire Gold Promises the highest prices paid on their website. Don't believE them! WhatevEr amount the website advertises or they quote you on the phone YOU WILL NEVER RECEIVE the promised price. They will tell you your gold "weighs less" has "problems with purity", even in the case of sterling they will not pay you the per ounce amount they promise when you call. I KNOW THIS FROM EXPERIENCE WITH THEM BEWARE AND STAY AWAY!

6c5e05f8, 2009-08-21, 09:29AM CDT

I have been using Empire Gold Buyers for over 5 years now and never had a problem with them. Their payouts are always corresponding with their website payouts. I think this is just a competitor trying to throw dirt on the honest company that helps people in their time of need.

Shame on you!!!!!

8acd4bcd, 2009-08-25, 06:40PM CDT

I have used Empire Godl buyers to sell gold several times and have nothing but wonderful things to say about my experience with them. They paid me what they quoted me and paid me very quickly. The people I delt with at Empire Gold Buyers were very friendly,

knowledgeable and helpful. I would HIGHLY recommend working with them if you need to seel your gold. I know I will!

cf8cfe83, 2009-10-13, 03:43PM CDT

Hello,

Did you always weigh your gold before shipping it to them?(This is a very important question that deserves an answer considering you get your money based on weight and karats evidently) if so, I assume that Empire Gold Buyers and yourself were each time on the same page regarding the weight.

I talked to them over the phone and it seems like they do not like when you ask too many questions! That's odd! I certainly cannot just ship my heavy gold for the first time, without making sure that they will receive it for certain ,that I will truly get paid 3% less than what the gold is worth upon the day they receive it as they mentioned and how long will it take to receive the check? How can they tell me that they never had too answer so many questions and it would be best that I sell my gold localy etc... I don't get it!

cf8cfe83, 2009-10-21, 04:04AM CDT

EMPIRE GOLD BUYERS:This company is a RIP OFF!!!

You carefully weigh your gold with very accurate scales before shipping it.

They tell you that they will pay 96% of the current price of gold if you ship at least 3 ounces of gold total, it does not matter if it is a mix or 14 and 18K or else.

Although, Once they have received your gold, they will tell you that your 14 and 18k gold or else are NOT PURE and obviously their weigh is somewhat lower then your! But the purity thing is a killer, this is the way they make money, laying about the purity of your gold...

They forgot to state in their advertisement, neither over the phone that they would test your gold for purity, obviously you are not there to see if what they say is true or not ( VERY SMART!!!)... They will tell you that they have a machine that tested the purity of the gold you shipped, even though all your jewels are marked etc... Unbelievable, how convenient!

So, I was supposed to receive $19/ gram for 14K and $24/gram for 18K. NOT TRUE, THAT WAS A HUGE LIE!

I shipped more than 3 ounces of my jewels all marked, only solid gold and accurately weighed.

LONG STORY SHORT, from what I was expecting to receive based on the conversations we had on the phone and what they advertised, the check they sent me was basically $450 short! IF THIS IS NOT A RIP OFF, WHAT IS IT THEN??? UNBELIEVABLE!!!

DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL REGRET IT! Don't ship your gold to them, unless you don't know anything about gold and don't really care how much gold is currently worth (you can check on line, it is easy and have the purity of your gold tested by a jeweler, very simple. These people are LIARS AND DISHONEST.

cf8cfe83, 2009-10-21, 05:12AM CDT

EMPIRE GOLD BUYERS:This company is a RIP OFF!!!

You carefully weigh your gold with very accurate scales before shipping it.

They tell you that they will pay 96% of the current price of gold if you ship at least 3 ounces of gold total, it does not matter if it is a mix OF 14 and 18K or else.

Although, Once they have received your gold, they will tell you that your 14 and 18k gold or else are NOT PURE and obviously their WEIGHT is somewhat LOWER THAN YOURS! But the purity thing is a killer! This is the way they make money ON YOU, LYING about the purity of your gold...

They forgot to state in their advertisement AND over the phone that they would test your gold for purity, obviously you are not there to see if what they say is true or not ( VERY SMART!!!)... They will tell you that they have a machine that tested the purity of the gold you shipped, even though all your jewels are HALLMARKED etc... Unbelievable, how convenient!

So, I was supposed to receive $19/gram for 14K and $24/gram for 18K. NOT TRUE, THAT WAS A HUGE LIE!

I shipped more than 3 ounces of my jewels all OF THEM HALLMARKED, only solid gold and accurately weighed.

DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL REGRET IT! Don't ship your gold to them, unless you don't know anything about gold and don't really care how much gold is currently worth (you can check on line, it is easy; and have the purity of your gold tested by a jeweler, very simple. These people are LIARS AND DISHONEST.

be0a8dcb, 2010-01-07, 06:25PM CST

I couldn't agree more, and regret that I didn't see these complaints before I dealt with this disreputable company. Here is my experience:

My wife and I decided to take advantage of the recent high gold prices and sell some old jewelry and a 1-oz bar of pure gold. My wife had gotten the items from her father, who was a wholesale jewelry salesman for many years in NY.

I picked Empire due to good online ratings, a BBB rating of A+, and the fact they seemed to offer the highest payout %, especially for lots over 3 oz. I now wish I had sold it locally in the LA area, so I could have dealt with someone directly.

The good: Decent website, seemingly transparent pricing, decent customer service from initial rep, and free shipping (no kit, but label sent via email).

The bad: They underpriced my gold, by weight and purity. I weighed the jewelry before I sent it and came up with 3.8 oz. While they did not give a separate weight for the jewelry when I discussed their offer, I figured they weighed it at 3.2 oz. Also, 95% of the jewelry was stamped 14k (rest 10k), which is 58% gold. They claimed their testing found it was only 53% gold. The rep, Gene, who called and made the offer, claimed that most gold jewelry is made overseas and is usually underkarated and that their testing was extremely accurate. However, the jewelry came from reputable manufacturers here in the United States.

Based on my figures for weight and purity, the entire lot of gold should have included over 3.2 troy oz of pure gold. The payout should have been over $3500 at 96% of that day's lower market price. However, Empire said there was only 2.66 oz of pure gold and the initial offer was for just over $3000. When I balked, Gene offered to raise the percentage to 98%. After some haggling, their final offer was raised to $3232.

I received a check a few days later, though it included no invoice or other details. Also, I wanted to do direct deposit, but they would have charged over $30. I've never been charged for doing a direct deposit. That fee was not disclosed on their website. If I had asked to have my stuff sent back, I would have had to pay for insurance, which is also not disclosed on their website.

I reluctantly accepted the offer, since the price of gold was falling after reaching record highs and I figured I was still getting around 90% of the market price, which was about the most I could have gotten locally. My wife also didn't want to hassle with it anymore. However, I still feel like these guys cheated me!!

My advice: get an independent appraisal of your gold before selling, shop around carefully, and don't believe what you read or hear from gold buying sites. Above all, avoid Empire Gold Buyers!!!

***********************************8

UPDATE: Shortly after posting these comments, I was contacted by Empire Gold Buyers. They wanted to review my situation and correct any mistakes. The representative, Tom, said that Empire Gold Buyers takes customer satisfaction seriously and wanted to try to resolve the issue. After some discussion, the rep maintained that Empire had weighed and determined the gold content accurately. However, in the interest of customer service, he offered to pay me an additional $220 if I would retract my original comments or post this update. He claimed this was the amount of profit they were making on the transaction (which was funny, since the guy who made me the original offer said they were making less than $50 in profit). This brought the payout closer to what I had expected.

Whether this was done out of genuine concern for their customers or concern for their reputation (probably both), I have to give Empire Gold Buyers a lot of credit for reaching out to a disgruntled customer. Most companies would not have bothered. They do believe in customer satisfaction.

f2621b40, 2010-03-08, 11:54AM CST

To all whom use these gold buying companies please return to this site in about 7 days,I'am a journlist for a very large news outlet in the U.S. and I'm doing a story on the biggest internet gold buying firms across the nation,we've sent a undisclosed amount of gold that was tested for purity & weight all gold was appraised for it's value we'll see just how honest they realy are,we also video taped the amount packed and sent,we are waiting for our results from this company and 2 others i can tell you so far the other 5 companies have not been truthfull in their way of doing business,we will be airing the full story in about a mo. come back for details on that. then you will know which companies are honest or not.

4a0fa1b4, 2010-03-31, 12:59AM CDT

TRUE FOR SOME REASON THEY DON'T LIKE IT WHEN YOU ASK QUESTIONS AND ARE VERY RUDE. THEY ARE ONLY NICE BEFORE YOU MAIL THE GOLD. AND FOR SOME REASON THE GOLD WEIGHTS LESS WHEN THEY GET IT.

4a0fa1b4, 2010-03-31, 01:02AM CDT

4a0fa1b4, 2010-04-01, 11:57AM CDT

Im a costumer and all the complaints are true the weight is always less and also say that your 14kt gold is not 14k but 10k. If you ask them to have your gold shipped back they will ask you to pay for the shipping cost which is not posted on their website. They think you are dumb and didnt read what is stated on their site. When they agree to have it shipped back they say ok we will ship it ground which will take like a week before you get and you have to pay for the insurace. They dont like it when you start asking questions and say that they cant believe that you were expecting to get the amount that is posted on their website. True you will get about $300 less than you expected. They are very rude and sarcastic when it comes to answering your questions. I also know this from experience with them please avoid them or you will regret it.

6c5e05f8, 2010-06-10, 10:17AM CDT

Dear Potential Clients of www.EmpireGoldBuyers.com :

After reading a couple negative opinions on www.Complaints.com I suspected, but still wondered how I would feel if I go ahead and send my gold (about $5,500) off to some company I found on the NET named www.EmpireGoldBuyers.com

Now I know. Now I know that regret. After dealing with them my biggest regret is that I am unable to deal with Empire Gold Buyers for all my needs. (If so, presumably my life would ascend to a restful place of ease.) Unfortunately (for me) they only do one thing; buy precious metals at a fair win/win price.

I can only wish that all the other trappings of doing business elsewhere would go half as smooth and righteously fair as my deal with Empire Gold Buyers. When I had a question, I called and spoke with the very kind and capable Sandi, whom connected me with the boss, Gene. I say ??? kind ??? as an aside, one complainant said EGB were kind until they had your gold then were not. They were kind from my first email to the last. The notion is now an ongoing joke between Sandi and me. In fact, you may want to start your own relationship with EGB by asking her (as I did) ??Will you still respect me in the morning; after you have my gold? Understanding that the biggest impediment to sending my gold off into the great unknown is, well, ??? the great unknown??? Gene answered my questions, which instilled enough confidence to go ahead into the now semi-unknown.

Contrary to the negative opinions intent, I discounted them as minuscule as any company doing a healthy business must deal with many clients (later I found EGB takes in about 80-100 clients per day) it would be unrealistic not to anticipate some people are going to be dissatisfied in an effort to gain importance no matter what as it is not only their lot in life but more pointedly, their goal. Some people can only thrive in that extra pool of oil that unwarranted squeaking stole. It??s how they gain importance as well as a certain amount of undeserved cuddling. (I also must note that I think it wholly unjust that someone can make an allegation against someone and no rebuttal is allowed. That is un-American, period! Constitutionally and otherwise, everyone deserves the right to face their accusers. It echo??s eBay??s horrendously unfair feedback policy of only buyers now able to give negative feedback and I now see that policy has propagated here to www.Complaints.com )

Finding www.EmpireGoldBuyers.com is finding a gold mine of sorts in itself, but you need to do your own due-diligence as a good deal takes two sides. You have an obligation to know what you are sending and how much. In a way, I think EGB gets the short end of the stick because many times (I assume) they are sent family treasures or purchased items, which have taken on their own provenance and/or identity as to being gold etc. of a certain purity and then (sometimes) Gene??s job is to be the bearer of bad news and tell you it??s not or you were taken when you bought it. On point, I had some gold, which was bought out of country, which was 14K not 18K but given the equipment EGB has to test it, I go along with their findings.

The methodology was for accuracy, but I also weighed each of my items with a laboratory grade gram scale so that each item could be singled-out if needed for clarification. Junk-in-junk-out: If you send a big lump, one can only particularize a big lump and not individual items comprising same. All items were poly-bagged according to purity. I also wrote an itemized inventory list of the lot. Lastly, I included a catchall bag labeled ??Purity Unknown??. One item included therein was a man??s wedding band, which was stamped ??18K??. It came from a family business. It was tarnished but I thought its degradation might have been caused by fire residue years ago. It and some of the others in my ??Purity Unknown?? bag were returned to me. Now tell me, how does Gene or EGB make money by saying something is not gold and returning it to you? It would be problematic had they kept it and said it was not gold but returning it supports another theory; Empire Gold Buyers are honest.

As for the weights, EGB matched what I had almost item to item. (Some had stones wherein weight was estimated.) That coupled with the findings of the purity proved not so much a test in ??? accuracy??? as it was a confirmation of character and just basic fairness. Actually, to their credit, it was refreshing to deal with Sandi and Gene.

Why did I post this? Firstly, I was mad at myself for giving too much weight to unsupported negative opinions. Ironically they cost me undue time and energy and vied almost turning me away. Secondly, though the good lacks the urgency or drama that a potential threat may garner enlisting the fight or flight response, the good in this world should get more copy than the bad.

Indeed, although my initial intention of ??? accuracy ??? was to protect myself via the knowledge of what I had sent, by EGB??s reconciliation of my data to their findings, a greater finding was discovered. That of henceforward, my place for selling precious metals is www.EmpireGoldBuyers.com

Neither I, nor any my family or work member has had any affiliation with Empire Gold Buyers. Nor have I, any family or work member ever have received or expect to receive any compensation for my statements herein. I only recently found EGB via an internet search. (Akin to how you may have found them.) In an effort to alleviate the unknown and do a little good for a company that deserves it, for the next few weeks, although I may not be reached 24/7, I shall attempt to answer any query you may have regarding my dealings with Empire Gold Buyers. You may reach me, R

56c14508, 2010-09-15, 09:37AM CDT

I have had the same experience. Lot less than quoted. When I called them they volunteered to increase the payment and sent me an additional check. Should not have had to go through that hassle. I wonder why they don't have any complaints filed with BBB.

1995dc30, 2010-10-28, 10:02AM CDT

Here is the real information about

Empiregoldbuyers.com from CBS

"The Early Show"

NEW YORK, Sept. 30, 2010

Work at Home and Make Money - REALLY!

Rebecca Jarvis Explains How to Tell the Scams from Potential Actual Winning Arrangements

Selling Your Gold or Crafts

Think you don't have any unused gold items around the house? Think again! Chances are, you have a chain you haven't worn since high school, an old ring, or a broken gold necklace somewhere in your home. With gold prices at all-time highs, above $1,300 an ounce, selling old items containing gold is one of fastest ways to make a quick buck. BUT, you want to be sure you work with a reputable vendor.

Here are some that are highly-rated by Better Business Bureau:

Empire Gold Buyers and Gold Fellow

Both highly ranked by BBB. Both highly ranked by BBB. They list charts on their websites for what you pay and very clear thorough instructions of how to go about sending in your gold. Important thing: they pay for and insure your shipping. You send them the gold. They value it. Let you know. And you have the option to sell it to them, OR to have your gold returned. Usually gets shipped in the same day.

Here is the video:

a7e1c6d4, 2010-11-04, 09:03PM CDT

I am in the process of dealing with this company. I hope all goes well for me. I saw the segment on CBS one morning and thought this must be a good company.

8f007941, 2011-01-02, 11:59PM CST

EmpLIAR Gold Buyers thieves, (If you are a Lawyer, I am available to act as a Lead Plantiff in a class-action suit)

On 12-14-2010 I reviewed the Empire Gold Buyer website and relied upon the following representations: (1) EGB would pay me a fair amount for my 45.8g of gold based on a percentage of spot as advertised on their website; (2) EGB would be honest and treat me fairly and respectfully; (3) If I was not satisfied with the offer from EGB then they would send back my gold at their expense and their website states that, ??You have absolutely nothing to lose??; (4) EGB would abide by my payment request instructions as a part of their documentation - If I selected ??Western Union?? as a payment method prior to EGB making me an offer then they should have included the cost of the Western Union as a deduction from the gross offer thereby leaving me with a net amount; (5) Further, EGB would abide by my written instruction for the removal and return of my precious and semi-precious stones; (6) Lastly, EGB would pay me promptly for my gold.

On 12-17-2010 I shipped my gold items to EmpLIAR and sadly to say: (1) On December 20th at 3:35 PM I received a call from EGB. The guy on the phone tried to offer me almost $200 less for my gold than I was expecting; using such tried and true scammer methods as, ??The Gold Market has been going down the past few days?? and the old, ??You had 10K in your 14K gold??. Obviously the single 3 gram 10K ring present didn??t cause the value of the other 42 grams of 14k to go down; (2) When I told them ??NO?? send me back my gold they said, ??Well, you would have to pay us to ship it back to you?? ?? obviously that is in stark contrast to the FAQ section of their website which states, ??We??ll securely ship your items back to you. With EmpLIAR Gold Buyers, you have absolutely nothing to lose!?? (3) After hearing that I was not happy, the guy on the phone offered to increase the offer so that EGB would be closer to the amount I was expecting but still 12% less than my expectations. Then he tells me that he would have to charge me $100 to send me the money by Western Union which is the method I requested in writing prior to them even making me an offer. He then proceeds to tell me that if I accept a company check I could get that for free so out of shear frustration with these crooks I said, ??Well, then go ahead and send me a company check??, (4) So I asked, what about the few stones, you know that I requested that they be sent back to me and he said, ??We don??t do that??. (5) Now I??m pissed! (6) So, after three business days I check the mail expecting to find the company check that was promised to me and guess what??? That??s right, NO CHECK! (7) So I called them three (3) times starting at 1:53 PM Wednesday December 29th, and reached some idiot who told me that my check was mailed out; ??Great?? I said, to what address??? He says, ??I don??t know, give me your name and number and I??ll call you back, Well, at 3:23PM I called him back and I said, ??You never called me back?? and he said, Well give me a minute and I??ll call you back, ??What is your name and number??? so again, I waited, then at 4:36 PM I called back for the third time and said, You still have not called me back and he said, ??Well, I can??t find you in our system, I can??t find where a check went out to you, I??ll have to have someone in the accounting department research it and call you back, what is your name and number??? At this point I have given my name and number too many times and have not received a single call back. After being LIED to, we went from, ??Your check is in the mail?? to ??I can??t find you in the system??.

OH and the beauty of it all is that here it is 12:34 AM EST on January 3, 2011 and NO ONE has called me back and I have not received back my gold nor a check!!!!! I wonder if this will affect their bogus BBB rating. I suppose after I post this all over the web they might loose more business than if they would have dealt with me fairly and honestly. EmpLIAR ?? If you are reading this my FEDX Tracking number was 794222989355 SEND ME BACK MY GOLD or PAY ME FAIRLY VIA WESTERN UNION AND RETURN MY STONES NOW!!!!!!

e70c6dcd, 2011-03-09, 09:57PM CST

We are family miners here in Ghana. We are looking for an interested buyer whom can build trust with us. After supplying of our gold. Buyer use the gold money to supply us mining equipment for our work.

Looking forward to hear from any interested buyer: [email protected]

Regard

Mr. Eric

00233247429100

73859f2b, 2011-10-10, 06:54PM CDT

So riddle me this, Batman...I just check the Better Business Bureau and Empire has an A+ rating. I also noted that there were ZERO complaints against them. Why isn't your complaint on there?

c3181438, 2012-02-29, 08:06AM CST

Dear Sir.

We are end sellers of metal scraps in Guinea Conakry-senegal-dakar and we have our own stock yard and site visit is encouraged. We have in stock at present; Hms 1&2; Used Rails; Copper Scrap; gold dust in large wuantity at very good rates. If interested get to us for more details.

Mr.Ahmed cisse