Newport News - Newport News online clothing store scams loyal customers on promotional codes

Posted on Friday, September 19th, 2008 at 12:12pm CDT by 1fc4eadf

Product: Apparel

Company: Newport News

Location: 5000 City Line Rd.
Hampton,, VA, 23661, US

URL: http://newportnews.com/

I place an order with Newport News on 8/28/08, my order came up to 171.95. I use promotional codes that took off 20%, free shipping and deferred payment. When I received my confirmation email it showed the 20% deduction, free shipping and deferment with a balance of 137.95. I was to receive a second email when my items shipped; I never did so I checked the order (09-02-08) and nothing was in their system however they charged my Newport News Credit card 171.95. I called and spoke with a rude and hostile Customer Service Rep that states that my code for 505 was invalid and my confirmation emails state that the amount to be charged was in red an estimate email she states. My email doesn't state this nor is there anything indicating that codes have to be verified and that this is an estimated email.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said none were available. I ask her could I send her the email and she said that I could just return the items. As I responded to her of why my card was charged, why wasn't I called and told my card would be charged a different amount she said they don't do that anymore. When I tried to explain to her that I was given no option here this is wrong she hung up on me. I went to the BBB (BBB Accreditation: This company is not a BBB Accredited business). Which investigated and agreed with the company and closed the case? Per Michael Pettipas, Office of the President he states, The order ACKNOWLEDGEMENT e-mail you receive is merely a mirror of the information which you have entered. Your second e-mail is received in 24-48 hours and is final CONFIRMATION of your charge and shipping information.

I never received an order acknowledgement email or a shipping email on the confirmation email showing all codes accepted which were all three. My question to him was why you dont update your software to reject codes from third party sites or codes you just dont except to save the consumer this deceptive sales practice and loss of loyal customer, no response and case closed

49d1e194, 2008-12-21, 01:55PM CST

THEY ARE ONE BIG FRAUD and should be on the list of fraudulent companies not to do business with. I will never shop with them again. I was also overcharged and never got my money back. The codes never work and are not rejected. I have several companies that would reject the codes as soon as entered. What does it cost newport news to do the same and not allow invalid codes to go through?

5bcaf2ae, 2009-11-19, 05:19PM CST

This company sells cheap crap and has basically no idea how to run a business. I ordered a jumpsuit, jacket and shoes. Order taken and processed. Confirmation email sent out listing all items. Again email sent when shipped, listed all items. For the heck of it, I checked website and saw that jumpsuit was backordered, set to arrive after the holiday season. When shorted order arrived, I called got a special number to put on return and sent it right back. By the way, shoes came with the jewels laying in the box unattached, nice quality. Now they have my return and say it will be six weeks for a credit??? WTF??? They took the money out of my account right away, they need to credit it the same. NEVER do business with this company.