Cobra Sewer Machine Products - My Cobra Cable Drum Machine Was a Waste of Money

Company: Cobra Sewer Machine Products

Location: Cobra Products, Inc. 1 Warner Court Swedesboro, NJ 08085
Swedesboro,, Ne, 08085, US

URL: http://www.cobraus.com/

We purchased this sewer drain cleanout machine from Lowe's for $407.95 on May 25, 2004. We have only used the machine five times since then and had significant problems on three of those occasions. According to the literature, it cleans 4" lines up to 100'. What the literature does not say is the machine "eats" cables quicker than my cat consumes a raw shrimp. Replacement cables cost about $135. I always followed the instructions when using the machine. It worked fine on a drain clog 80' away the first time I used it. The second time for the same distance the cable kinked both inside the drum and inside the 4" sewer line at about 50'. Cobra replaced that cable at no cost. The third time we used the machine was for a short distance and it worked okay - I suspect because not more than 40' of cable was deployed. The fourth time for the 80' distance the cable again kinked; and Cobra was kind enought to replace the cable. What occurred each time was we had an overflowing sewer line. I had to find a Lowe's store that actually had a replacement cable in stock, make the drive (we live in a rural area), replace the darn thing, finish the job then complain to Cobra. When the replacement cable showed up I had to return it to Lowe's for a refund. If you have even been involved in trying to clear a main sewer line with people there needing to use a toilet or take a shower and go to work you can understand the frustration. When I used this new cable installed into the drum with TLC for the first time the other day it again kinked coming out and in the line. We believe the drum and subsequent in line kinking problem is caused by the cable construction. When I pay 400 bucks for something I expect it to work, correctly, the first time, every time - especially if I have the operating instructions in my hot little hand. I have asked Cobra to buy back this worthless piece of junk and have not received the courtesy of a reply, even if it is to say no. I am pursuing this with Lowe's Corporate because they are selling this inferior product. However, if you have ever dealt with Lowe's Corporate you know talking to someone who cares is a difficult task at best. I also noted this particular model is no longer on the Cobra web-site.

295cf4ab, 2009-11-17, 06:17PM CST

I have the very same model of Drum Sewer Cleanout machine, and I have had AS MANY problems.

I have only gotten 3 uses out of mine before it decided to start falling apart. The cable, while not getting AS kinked, does kink, as well as the MOTOR DIED!!!

9b01f045, 2009-12-02, 09:38PM CST

I also had the same problem the very first time I tried to unclog a drain. I ended up calling a plumber to finish the job. Cobra sewer machines are a true piece of crap. Don't waste your money.

G. Hall

Texas

814438fd, 2009-12-01, 04:01PM CST

Same thing - a piece of junk.

fe972b2c, 2009-12-28, 01:17PM CST

I used my Cobra machine twice and the cable kinked up also. I bought mine from Lowes. One good thing was, Cobra sent me another cable free and with no problems after I made contact with them.

f6628f72, 2010-01-12, 05:07PM CST

It's true, the cables kink easily on these things. Mine is basically worthless because the cable has no rigidity in certain spots (because of the kinks). Without the continuity, you can't push it through the drain. It just folds over and kinks up. I bought mine from Lowe's roughly a year ago, but have only used it a few times.

00b143c9, 2010-02-01, 11:35AM CST

I also bought the same machine. Wish I have of read this post first. My cable has already broken. I only got out 20 feet when the cable twisted and broke. Art Talbert 2/1/10

d1c9e785, 2010-03-04, 09:58AM CST

I too bought this LX1000 and I have plenty of experience with using these types of machines> the way that I feel about these machines is that not only should Cobra replace the cable in the machines but they should replace the cash from our pockets as well. for all the pain and suffering we should atleast get to keep there piece of crap machines cause after all they are good for a 20ft clog. and who ever is responsible for allowing these sub standard machines out on the shelves in our stores, Consumer services or whoever the heck should be held accountable maybe they should be forced to wash our cars for a month or something. Ripped off again, when wil they stop screwing us?

6dfe6c38, 2010-04-11, 01:53PM CDT

they all say that this little machine will do the job FACT IS IT WILL NOT COME CLOSE IN BIGGER PIPE THE LITTLE SNAKE CAN EASILY KINK AND OR BRAKE THEY ALL SAY (TO SELL THE ITEM) THAT THIS WHAT YOU NEED. BS FOR 2" AND SMALLER PIPE IT IS GREAT BUT FOR LARGER PIPE IT WILL KINK TO EASY. YOU HAVE A BAD PROBLEM WITH THE PIPE YOU ARE CLEANING ( IF IT IS ROOTS OR BACKPITCH OR THE WRONG KIND OF TENANTS) SPEND THE MONEY TO FIX THE PROBLEM INSTEAD OF SNAKING IT BECAUSE ,UNLESS YOU ARE SELLING, THE PROBLEM WILL ALWAYS HAPPEN DURING A WEEKEND OR A HOLIDAY OR WHEN YOU ARE ON VACATION. TTTRRRUUUSSSTTTTEEEEDDD MMMEEEE IT DOES IF YOU WANT TO KEEP PLAYING WITH IT THAN LOOK INTO A USED RIDGID K-1500 IF YOU HAVE ANY BRAINS THIS MACHINE IS INDESTRUCTABLE. (USED BECAUSE YOU WANT A OLDER ONE) MADE CHEAPLY IF BRAND NEW!!!!!! PROPER SIZE SNAKE FOR YOUR LINE AND A HELL OF A MACHINE GOOD LUCK COBRA SUCK!!!

3cfe9520, 2010-06-25, 06:10PM CDT

what can i say, i went through the same experience and i agree its a piece of junk!! and its not the money that bothers me its the service, if you know that your selling an item thats no good come on HELP THE CUSTOMER. what happen to customer service, Lowe's should be making the calls to help out as you can see there is lots of complains.

George from El centro Ca,

f2c59f19, 2010-07-18, 08:38AM CDT

I also have had the same problem with the cobra lx1000 3/8 x 75' drain auger.It seems that the motor is too strong for the cable.I'm cutting off the bad section off(about 6') and spot welding the tip back on. If that doesn't work I'll eat my losses and make good and sure I never buy a Cobra anything again.

a0e19b1b, 2010-08-15, 07:41AM CDT

yep, same problem!

7487befd, 2010-10-04, 11:06PM CDT

I used my brothers LX 1000 100ft for my sewer, went out 80ft I hit roots at about 40 ft it chewed through them with

no problems, the root ball was about the size of a soft ball we feed it out slowly and when we got to the roots just let it eat through before feeding it in further, when we removed the cable we bought it out slowly also, it worked really good did not have any kinked cable problems. Am now thinking about buying my own

c5d19c20, 2010-10-09, 02:35PM CDT

I bought same machine from Lowe's and used a few times and the Foot switch actuator did not work any more.

cd4f1cc3, 2010-11-09, 10:21AM CST

I just used my cobra LX1000 for the first time after getting it for 1/2 price when my Chicago Tool brand was sold out from under me by mistake. The cable didn't kink but the motor seized after about 1/2 hour of use. What a peice of crap!

a3c9a566, 2010-11-19, 09:15AM CST

You are too stupid to own and operate one. You must use common sense which is something you lack.

d32c49fa, 2010-11-23, 04:24PM CST

i have worked in the plumbing/sewer and drain field for 30 years.regardless of what the company may or may not tell you 3/8" or 1/2" cable is too small a diameter to clear out a 4" main line.the sewer machine is more than adequate for sink/washer lines,lavatories,floor drains etc... any line up to 2"in diameter.you have to get to at least 5/8" cable to be able to clear main lines of the 4" variety...hope that helps

bb0c59c2, 2010-11-26, 03:30PM CST

How did you get Cobra to replace the cable for no cost ?

The second time I used mine it kinked in 4 places and the cable broke off where it is connected to the drum.

2dc8ef7a, 2011-04-03, 07:25PM CDT

I just bought this same model from Lowes today. Thank Goodness I checked out this website before opening. Returning it tomorrow and looking for a Ridgid!

72781f8d, 2011-06-24, 01:03PM CDT

I have the same machine. After about 25 uses or so the cable was so kinked up that I had to replace it. By that time I had actually learned how to use the machine properly and have used it 5 or so times since then without any problems with the cable. . . . .however I used it last night and had the part that drives the belt that drives the drum shear off while I was using it. Now I have to try to find one of those.

c09647e5, 2011-12-28, 01:23PM CST

I kinked the line on my Cobra using it incorrectly- my bad, but when I called Cobra they never offered to replace it! I used it today and the little air switch stopped working, so I will call the company and insist on some kind of remedy. Wish I had seen this site before I bought the piece of crap, but the sewer line was clogged and Lowe's is closest to our house.

20797b1d, 2014-06-14, 07:15PM CDT

I bought mine from lowes and kinked cable, cobra replaced it under learning curve. kinked it again. yes it is junk. learning curve.

Wayne B., 2014-08-30, 11:01AM CDT

I wished I had done my home work on this machine. At least read these comments from users. It's like deja vu reading the comments. I think they should reimburse every consumer that purchased this machine.

Dave H., 2014-11-01, 03:36PM CDT

I have had the same issues as have been described in these comments. Looking to replace the cable now and the air switch never did or has worked properly. I to wish I had found this site previous to purchasing this tool.

I purchased from Lowes also.