American Income Life - American Income Life is a scam!

Posted on Friday, October 17th, 2008 at 11:46am CDT by 181b4db3

Product: Life Insurance

Company: American Income Life

Location: 12301 Ridge Rd.
N. Royalton, Oh, 44133, US

My name is Jason. Before you concider employment with this billion dollar company, I ask you read this review I have posted as it may save you MUCH of the aggrivation, time, and money, that it cost me. I did not take the time to type this up because I have way too much time on my hands, I simply typed it because I want others to learn from my "and others" crucial mistakes. I was first hired with A.I.L in "N. Royalton Ohio," about the end of July 2008. I was promised riches as long as I was a go-getter, and was willing to work long hours. I was in construction for most of my life, and concidered myself very capable of both of these. Apparently, they agreed as I was hired rather quikly, "just as everyone else was with no experience in sales once so ever." I sacrificed EVERYTHING for this job. EVERYTHING in my life was put on hold so that I could give this job the attention I THOUGHT it deserved. I was told that I would be paid training, so that it would be easier for someone like myself to make the career change. The state exam for your insurance license is not easy, and you do have to pay for it out of pocket everytime you fail by the way. It took me only twice luckly. I spent both time...."about one month" and money "about $500" after all the application fees and whatever else to obtain my insurance license. Once I finally obtained my license, I was given a 4 page script that i had to memorize, word for word!! I did not like the fact they didn't tell me about it at first, but hey...i'm a "go-getter." So i sucked it up, and memorized it. This took me an additional 3 weeks to do "for free." Once I acheived this, I was put in a one week training class that was NOT PAID. When I mentioned the fact that I was told I was going to be paid for training, "hurting for some money by this point as you can imagine," I was told I misunderstood, as the class is paid for, not me. I am not a stupid man!! I know what i was told!! In fact, if it wasn't for that one little detail about the job, I probably would not have taken it. They also told me they did not like me asking questions and pretty much told me to shut up "in there own words." So just like before, I sucked it up and kept going. If you play poker..."I was pot invested," I had no choice. This is where those "LONG HOURS" started. We would start class at 9 oclock, got out at 4. Then I was instructed to drive to wherever my manager was to sit in on presentations of the bennefits. My first "attempt" at a presentation was at 9 o'clock the same night of my first training day. I did not get home until 11 0'clock!! "FREE MIND YOU!!" 9 to 11....whats that?? 14 hours!?!? When I was dropped off back at my car, I was instructed to go home and read my script more, rather then get some rest for tomorrow morning. The next few nights were the same, not giving me anytime to study any of the material given to us "AND EXPECTED TO KNOW," in class. So about half way through the class week, I was told about all the postings from former employers and anyone who was/is affiliated with the company in any way shape or form. 95% of what I read was BAD!! And I read alot! No one had anything good to say about this company. I guess i'm not that smart of a man, other wise I would have found this on my own, way back when I was hired!! HAHA....jokes on me I guess. Anyways, the last day of training class was.....actually today October 2 2008. The class had ended at 4, and as soon as I walked out I was fired by my manager because MARCUS SMITH didn't have the balls to do it himself, even though he was standing right there. I was fired because someone overheard me talking about the sight with the same person who told me about it. We were both concerned "AS I'M SURE YOU CAN IMAGINE!" Now wouldn't you say it's disturbingly ironic they fired me with no hesitation at all once they found out I knew about the sight/sights? They also said they didn't like the fact I wasn't willing to work 15 hours a day for training even after all i had a acheived thus far! Simple Common sense will tell you that is no way to efficiently train someone! Please.......do your research! These people are very good at what they do, and somehow scam thousands like myself. I am a very religious christian "AS THEY CLAIM TO BE," and DO NOT want this to happen to anyone else, even though I know it will. All the numbers are in black in white if you just look for um. They have a rediculous turn over rate of 95%! Absolutly no one stays with this company unless their dad is an S.G.A. who pays um a rediculous amount of money out of pocket. Of course its your decision whether or not you listen to me......I pray to to the allmighty Jesus Christ that you do.

God Bless all of you

0a90f9ff, 2009-01-16, 05:33PM CST

Jason is quite correct. I am a laid off professional sales executive who replied to an AIL North Royalton, Ohio ad. My "second interview" was a group presentation to about 40 people. Now I am sure these 40 applicants are nice people, but few had any business going into sales, yet I guarantee that every one of them got an offer. I have been in PROFESSIONAL sales for a decade, and before that I was a Police Officer, so I know what I am talking about. Please take my word that this is not a legitimate job offer.

7d426284, 2009-02-26, 02:56PM CST

Don't feel bad. This happened to me as well. I was stuck in a low paying sales job and was attracted to the change and promise of more money. My experience wasn't training, rather getting right out there and selling with the manager. The manager had some personal problems that came out one night and after all the long hours I couldn't deal with all that, plus the months I went without pay. The homes we went to were HIS sales so I didn't get paid for all those. Isn't that right Mark and Beth? Does that make sense?

Take that life license and go to another company, add the property license and go with a large auto and home company. I didn't let all that money go to waste. I PAID FOR IT the darn license is MINE.

I have been with an auto/home/life agent for 2 years now. It's much better when people come to YOU for the insurance anyway.

4407a0aa, 2009-06-27, 09:34PM CDT

Are there actual policyholders who were denied claims out there? Just wondering...

a32ec98a, 2009-09-07, 03:42PM CDT

I was a victim of AIL for 14 years. The company would contact every 2 or 3 years to get me to buy more coverage and I always did. I was contacted in 2006 . I told the agent very clearly that I was unemployed and could not afford more coverage. He told me that one part of my policy was about to expire and would heve to be renewed. I signed a paper and was suprised to find that my policy was costing me another hundred dollars per month.When I called Waco to complain the person I talked to seemed totally unconcerned and refused my request for a refund. I called again to speak with someone and got the same response. They were not concerned that an agent would lie to a customer to increase the monthly premium.I then discovered the company is very closely connected to left wing politics. I called the BBB and AIL would not respond.

9b157d1b, 2009-10-06, 12:39PM CDT

I am glad I read this because these AIL people called me and scheduled me for an interview. But after reading this thanks to Jason's comments I will not be going to this interview.

b4603003, 2009-11-06, 11:55AM CST

Is it a good idea to purchase Life Insurance with AIL or stick with my current Ins? Does the premium really go up?

bfd4fef4, 2009-12-29, 06:12PM CST

I too fell for this crap. I was hired and found out that they just wanted appointment setters that too was 100% commission. Ok, so I got stuck with leads that were old and not any good. On top of that the appointments that I did set I did not get paid for. So, I guess they wanted people to work for free. Now they are harrassing me on to come back. I told them to pay me, and they claim that they will when the agents make some money. So needless to say the pay is crap all the way around, and on top of that, they are making it sound as if I did something wrong. I need to know what I did wrong other then get out of a business that did me wrong.

b69f950a, 2010-01-06, 04:42PM CST

Thank you very much for putting this out there. I have an interview tomorrow with them and I will definately not be going to it. I also delt with a company such as this and know how much it hurts emotionally and financially when you get scammed by a company.

Thank you and I pray you are doing good now.

0b3dfa93, 2010-03-08, 01:59PM CST

HI Jason, my name is Dawn. Thanx so much for this information! I posted my resume on Monster over the weekend and today I received an email form a man from American Income Life about a job. As I'm investigating it, I came across your comments and others. I'm NOT going to call them back! Sorry you had to go through all that you did with this company. thanx again! Dawn :)

5895605b, 2010-03-17, 05:41PM CDT

WOW, all I can say is WOW....these people are bogus. You shouldn't ever have to pay a company to work for them. If they want you to work for them and your job requires licensing then they should pay for it. Why would a company seek you out for employment when you have no insurance license then expect you too pay for a license?

I am an HR professional looking for work here in San Diego. Something didn't seem right almost right away. I received a voicemail from this companies HR person Linda who sounded rehearsed. I never follow a script when I am calling people for interviews. I actually wasted about 4 hours of my time just to see what was going on.

Well I went in dressed to kill and was basically taken in for a lookover. There were about 30 other applicants there for an interview at the same time I was. So I went back to the office of a top manager and he basically read off information about the company. They didn't ask any questions of me....in fact, they didn't know anything about me, why would they want to hire me? Anyway I filled out the questionaire and left. About 2 hours later they called me back in for a second interview (they told me to expect 3 days of interviews and presentations before a decision was made). WHAT????

So day 2 I go in for the presentation. Yeah the presentation was quite compelling. I actually found myself wanting to believe it too. Whoa.....wait a second......back to reality. So after the presentation they told everyone to turn their phones back on because some of us would be hearing from them soon, but what stood out too me was that as each of us walked in they checked our names off on a list but when they called me back for a third interview, how did they know who I was from the girl sitting next to me or the girl sitting behind me. They didn't. They called everyone of us back and im sure they are going to make money off of those poor suspecting individuals. I have half a mind to go stand outside the building tomorrow and hand out flyers as everyone walks into the building about AIL and its ponzi scheme. DANG....I really wish their were jobs out there like this. BUT its true. You have to work for a living. Lying and deceiving others by promise of employment is unethical. They promoted, "Honesty, Integrity, Trust, and Loyalty" to be their foundation. I wanted to laugh hysterically during the presentation because yeah....everyone is going to go to a job interview and say, Im honest, I have integrity, I am trustworth, and Loyal. Well they didn't say anything about bonding you or insuring you as an insurance agent.

What I am trying to say here people is, DO NOT TRUST anyone who promises the things that AIL does. The product and foundation of the company seems to be real, but I wouldn't be suprised if 1 or 2 months or years down the road they get hammered for their ponzi scheme. People go to jail for that. Does that seem honest, trustworthy, integral, or loyal? Keep your money in you bank accounts and don't be deceived by these people in hopes of a great future and big bucks during a recession.

8ac7bc68, 2010-04-20, 11:03AM CDT

Jason, thank you for your insightful information regarding AIL. Ironically, I was contacted by a Linda from AIL for an in-person interview here in Chicago. She said my resume was posted on Monster and felt I had all the skills for thier organization. She mentioned there were 3 positions I was qualified for #1 > Customer Service Rep, #2> Customer Service Manager and #3> Sales Rep. So I asked Linda to tell me more about the company and more about what each position entailed. I asked her why she felt I was qualified for each role. I even asked her for the website of AIL. Well, to my surprise, Linda was extremely nervous with my questions and said she really didn't know too much about each position. She said she was just told to set up interviews. She

knew nothing about anything. It seemed very odd that the front line was soo secretive. I asked her to please give me the website, but again she said she didn't know the website address. I asked sooo many questions, she eventually told me to call the following number to speak with someone else in HR @ (630)858-2492. Well, I called the number twice but no answer. The thrd time I left a msg and asked to be called back for clarification! I decided to Google them and found ALL these complaints about them. Needless to say, I will not be going on the interview at all. Thanks Jason for your information and I'm glad I read all the other complaints as well. Gheez....

72683e90, 2010-06-09, 09:15PM CDT

Jason,

Sorry for your misfortune. I started with AIL a year ago and made over $115,000 my first year. Bottom line Some can do this and some cannot. Even if you work 24 hrs per day there is no guarantee. I would keep an open mind and see if its a fit for you before taking one persons experience as the truth. This place changed my life without question.

Matt

8a964480, 2010-10-20, 09:54PM CDT

I've been with ail for about 6 yrs now! Yeah there interview process sucks, but it weeds out people that think they can sit around doing nothing and make money. I had a regular shitty job! Now I have an accountant(because I make so much money), I have more than enough money and in 6 yrs I can retire! Who do know that retires at age 34? If u put in the work, there's a shitload of money to be made!!!!!

291ddff7, 2010-12-06, 01:11PM CST

Hi Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to write a complaint against American Income Life. My resume is posted on CareerBuilders and was contacted by a "director" from this Co. I may have fallen victim to this company if it were not for you taking the time to write up your experience. Thank you!

f3d8e6f1, 2011-01-06, 02:00PM CST

I'm so glad im not the only one who feels this way about AIL. I was suckered into their lies in August after being unemployed for four months and down to only $300. of course the entrance fees alone took half of that away right off the bat, and after three weeks of driving 2 hours alone to meet my "trainer" i couldnt take it anymore. they said it would be close to home, but 2 hours away is FAR from my home. i quit shortly after and havent looked back. AIL is for the bored rich people who have the time and money to lie through their teeth to make a quick buck after scamming the innocent.

21f371ce, 2011-03-31, 11:32AM CDT

Thank You Jason ( & others )! Your post regarding American Income Ins. & their employment tactics was / is extremely helpful . My husband has been unemployed for 13 months. His resume is posted on CareerBuilder & other resume list sites . He is a carpenter by trade, but AIL seemed insistent that he was qualified for a position within their company. Initial phonecalls from company reps. were vague & did not specifically mention AIL or the job position . My husband & I were both immediately suspicious . SHAME on this company & their executives for knowingly taking advantage of people who are desperately seeking work ! As most of us were probably taught in our youth " if it seems too good to be true , most likely it is". I will be contacting the Attorney General for the state in which we live in order to file a formal complaint.

1c35f1b3, 2011-04-19, 02:10PM CDT

Thank-you Jason for this posting. I too received a call today. I got a funny feeling when the guy could not even tell me where he got my resume. Needless to say not going to the appointment..after reading your and others comments... Thanks to all of you.

643460b7, 2011-05-05, 01:44PM CDT

I feel your pain, I have just left the first interview and was waiting for the regional manager for my second when I goggled this company. Call me crazy but since when doesn't a billion dollar company have phones on their desks, printers for their computers, or heck a plant in the office. Even their name on the professional building they preside in might have been good. Lucky for me, I didn't have to loose anything but money for my dress for success.

19fac3bd, 2012-01-26, 10:10PM CST

To Jason and the others that are trashing AIL on this page: You simply don't know what you are talking about. If you had given this opportunity even half as much effort as your 3-page rant deposited here, you might be a successful agent. While not everyone is cut out for a commission-based sales job, those who are tend to be very successful here...IF they follow the program that Jim Surace has spent the last 30 years perfecting.

I quit my job at a LAW FIRM 90 days ago to take advantage of "opportunity unlimited." It has done wonders for my family! Already, I have DOUBLED my monthly income, and my wife was able to QUIT HER JOB and raise our daughter instead of working! In the 9 years I've been with my wife, we'd always been a TWO INCOME family; but all of that changed when I came to AIL. I hate to think that your barbed commentary might deprive other positive-minded individuals from doing the same.

If you didn't get enough from your experience at AIL, is it because (perhaps)you didn't give enough? To anyone considering a career at AIL I would say this: Have the COURAGE to leave what is safe and familiar behind; Only then will you experience GROWTH.

I say with an open heart and complete clarity: This may be the best opportunity to ever come your way...but you'll never know if you take Jason's advice. THINK for yourself! BE POSITIVE! and then explore this opportunity and make your own success!

09d4e179, 2012-05-21, 11:28AM CDT

I was also called about a job interview from A.I.L but the guy that called me regarding the interview said he worked for a company called the Field Group. The company sounded too good to be true immediately so I googled the number he gave me to call, and I found out that the field group was located at the same address and suite number as A.I.L. This company is a TOTAL SCAM!

13eb2a67, 2013-02-14, 05:39PM CST

I too was called for an interview by an AIL rep who said she (Lady X) had my resume and was told by her director to set-up an interview with me. The next week, I arrived for my interview, if you can call it such, 15 minutes ahead of the appointed time. The process was impersonal--more like a cattle call (I was in a room with about 15 other "candidates", some of which were to be interviewed by the same Mr. X., and some to be interviewed by other staff (from an HR standpoint, I find this unprofessional to have candidates all "huddled" together. Anyway, after a 10 minute wait, my name was called and a Mr. Z (not Mr. X as indicated when I was first contacted) greeted me, and escorted me to his office. Mr. Z did not ask me the "typical" recruiter/HR questions, in fact, his approach was more like he was attempting to sell me a vacuum cleaner, or a used car. When he completed his "script", I asked exactly which position I am being considered for, but he too just like Lady X, never gave me a direct answer,but instead said, "well we'd like to see if everyone we talk to is a "good fit" for us, and if "AIL" is a "good fit" for every candidate, but then instantly he asked me, "how is your work ethic". Mr. Z then tells me that he is going to escort me to a conference room where he would like me to sit, interact, smile, take notes, and ask questions for AIL's overview of the company, and "try to be noticed". Mr Z said this overview is necessary to see "who is a good fit". At this point, my mind is turning on all cylinders. As Mr. Z and I walk to the conference room, he hands me a "personality profile form", and he tells me to complete this form in the conference room while I am waiting for the overview to begin. The profile is 4-5 pages. When I entered the conference room, there are at least 20 so-called "candidates" already seated, filling out their "profiles", and waiting for the overview to being. At this point, I asked Mr. Z to, "point me to the direction of the restroom before I get started with the profile and overview". Mr. Z walks me over to the restroom, and greets me good-bye with, "I'll see you after the overview and have a good day". I waited in the restroom for 5 minutes, then went back to the receptionist and told her, "I am unable to stay", and I left the building and drove away in my car. AIL, in my opinion, scams people to get them in the door to a "so-called" interview, but in reality, they are looking for telemarketers/sales people; however, they never disclosed this piece of information when they initially contacted me, or when they had me meet with Mr. Z. To ask "so-called candidates" to sit for a 1 hour overview of their company, fill-out paperwork, and "try to be noticed" is beyond comprehension from an HR perspective.

Lorraine H., 2013-07-19, 09:40AM CDT

WOW, thanks for the "heads-up"!! I was called for an interview as well last week and was supposed to go there next Wednesday, July 24, 2013. Definitely going to cancel. Thanks for all of your warnings, much appreciated. I'm glad I won't be wasting my time with a scam artist. THANKS!!