Honda of America - Jump Start Kills Car

Posted on Thursday, October 16th, 2008 at 5:00pm CDT by b6f51495

Product: 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid

Company: Honda of America

My 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid needed a jump start because I left the dome light on overnight (I know. I should get what I deserve for this inexcusable mistake!) The next day, I tried to jump start the car. The battery recharged just fine, but the car still wouldn't start because the Immobilizer System (security chip in the key that must match the code programmed in the car) claimed my key was unrecognized. I had to have the car TOWWWWWWWWWWWED!!! to the dealer, who offered absolutely no sympathy (You stupid consumer! Don't you know you can't leave your dome light on? You moron!) They then proceeded to keep my car for 3 days and replace some relay module thingy that cost me $700! I filed a complaint with Honda of America, which was a complete waste of time. I was at fault, out of warranty, and out of luck.

I would expect to have to pay for a new battery for my mistake, but not a new $700 relay module. This is a BAD DESGIN, don't you think? Do not make the mistake of jump starting a Civic Hybrid. Better yet, buy a Prius.

7c816117, 2010-04-26, 05:32PM CDT

I am having the same problems with my Honda CIvic 2006 LX. My car was in stationary for <1 month in the garage and when I wanted to start it, it did not because battery was all discharged. I took a jump and then ABS light came on. Took to the local shop and he read three codes : 1. 8141 ?? CP internal circuit malfunction (ECM / PCM)

2. 2. 6101 ABS modulator control unit

3. U0155 ?? Can system malfunction

Local shope wante to replace the main ECM first to see if light goes away. I am confused. Because everywhere I am reading that it should be the ABS module (wiht relays) that people had to change after a jump start. What kind of design Honda did this time. They lost me as a customer now.

SO please suggest what to do? Should I dictate the local shope to first change the ABS and not the some Computer module he is asking to replace?

HE also says that he needs to tow it to the dealer to get it programmed. Do you think I should approach dealer to just reset the VSM memory codes?

I was reading here at http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/canada-east/83944-abs-light-e-brake.html

Please advise. Thanks.