Samsung - Defective Samsung Plasma TV

Posted on Saturday, November 1st, 2008 at 6:25pm CDT by d2c99077

Product: Samsung PLasma HP-S4-253

Company: Samsung

I purchased a Samsung Plasma Television in April 2006 for $2506.00 in Sears in Jersey City, NJ. By October 2008 there were red blotches on the screen. A Samsung approved tech came by and chanrged us $426.00 to repair it last week. They said they had no receipt availible when I requested it. Today the red lines have re-appeared and we are told that the next reapir may cots up to $1000.00. I should have never bought Samsung--I never will again.

3725039d, 2008-11-04, 05:44PM CST

I agree with you and you should never buy another one of those tvs. I would also pressure sears for carrying that brand when there are so many others out there to buy. seems to me that sears should foot the bill. Just my opinion good luck on the next purchase.

d2c99077, 2008-11-05, 09:52AM CST

Thanks. I was also considering filing a small claims suit under the NJ Consumer Fraud Act--against Sears and Samsung. Also a formal complaint to the NJ Div of Consumer Affairs (already made one at the FTC) That is probably the only hope for getting my money back. We'll see how it goes.

3b356b1e, 2009-01-02, 02:15AM CST

On the 18th April 2007 I bought a Samsung Plasma TV from QQ discounts PTY LTD in Auburn for $2500, that had a 1 year warranty. For the past 10- 11 months the TV screen had gone blank however the sound still worked, we assumed it was a random occurrence as the aerial may have been disrupted by the wind or an electrical storm. However over the last 6 months it has been occurring on a daily basis for longer durations. In March of this year I had contacted QQ discounts and they where unable to assist me because the screen would came back on after 5 minutes or so. They indicated to me that this problem had not occurred on any of their plasma TVs then advised me to call Samsung. When I spoke to a customer service representative at Samsung they told me that they could send out a service man at my cost however I was unwilling to spend over $200. The same representative suggested to get the aerial check and when I did there was no problem with it. Over the past 3 months, the TV screen goes blank every 2 hours for about 10 -15 minutes. Four weeks ago I called Samsung and got in contact with one of their technicians, I was advised for the first time that this was the screen signal panel and it would cost me $4500 to get it repaired not including labour costs. I was never advised on my numerous calls to QQ discount of this problem with the screen or the screen panel having to be changed. I then rang QQ discounts and they informed me that because it was out of warranty I would have to pay for the repairs myself. I believe that is this is unreasonable as they could have told me this when I first rang in March with the problem instead of me having to ring Samsung for an answer.

3b356b1e, 2009-01-02, 02:18AM CST

On the 18th April 2007 I bought a Samsung Plasma TV from QQ discounts PTY LTD in Auburn for $2500, that had a 1 year warranty. For the past 10- 11 months the TV screen had gone blank however the sound still worked, we assumed it was a random occurrence as the aerial may have been disrupted by the wind or an electrical storm. However over the last 6 months it has been occurring on a daily basis for longer durations. In March of this year I had contacted QQ discounts and they where unable to assist me because the screen would came back on after 5 minutes or so. They indicated to me that this problem had not occurred on any of their plasma then advised me to call Samsung. When I spoke to a customer service representative at Samsung they told me that they could send out a service man at my cost however I was unwilling to spend over $200. The same representative suggested to get the aerial check and when I did there was no problem with it. Over the past 3 months, the TV screen goes blank every 2 hours for about 10 -15 minutes. Four weeks ago I called Samsung and got in contact with one of their technicians, I was advised for the first time that this was the screen signal panel and it would cost me $4500 to get it repaired not including labour costs. I was never advised on my numerous calls to QQ discount of this problem with the screen or the screen panel having to be changed. I then rang QQ discounts and they informed me that because it was out of warranty I would have to pay for the repairs myself. I believe that is this is unreasonable as they could have told me this when I first rang in March with the problem instead of me having to ring Samsung for an answer.

8e60a68e, 2009-01-04, 10:33AM CST

I have the same tv and bought it same time .Samsung hps-4253. tv just went dead, no picture. 23 months old.I looked on line and there are hundreds of people with same problem. Dont buy Samsung Plasma tv or lcd.I got it from amazon.It costs to much to fix so I need to spend another 2k. on a tv.

c42be635, 2009-02-04, 04:40PM CST

I also just bought a Samsung TV and I have white lines going up and down on each side of the screen. Samsung also wont do anything about it, they say that it is a warranty issue. What are we suppose to do. I filed complaints with everyone. We only had the tv for 3 weeks.

c42be635, 2009-02-04, 04:43PM CST

I also just bought a Samsung TV and I have white lines going up and down on each side of the screen. Samsung also wont do anything about it, they say that it is not covered by the warranty. What are we suppose to do. I filed complaints with everyone. We only had the tv for 3 weeks. Jan7, 2009 was when we bought the tv, 2 weeks later we saw the lines. It is now Feb 4, 2009 and no one will help us.

c0343eec, 2010-07-19, 03:27PM CDT

I also purchased a Samsung Plasma 58" TV that went completely out after less than one year. When I looked on the back, I discovered the TV was made in Tijuana and was shocked. Why would I purchase anything, let alone electronics, made in Tijuana? I paid $4,2000 for this defective TV and at this point, I have been informed that there is nothing that I can do.

df8fdd4b, 2010-12-08, 08:12PM CST

Unfortunately, like you I purchased a Samsung 50" Plasma TV as my retirement gift to myself. After 2 years a single black line appeared at the bottom of the screen. Concerned that this might be a forecast of worse things, I called Samsung's service department and a repairman was sent out. After a cursory review, he announced that the screen was bad and it would cost $716 to fix as the set was out of warranty. These bastards should not be allowed to sell their crap in this country