A Time To Travel Down Under - Travel Agent Attitude

Company: A Time To Travel Down Under

Location: 1690 St Andrews Way
Prescott, AZ, 86301, US

URL: http://atimetotraveldownunder.com/

I called Elyse Rose, from Prescott, AZ with some information about traveling to Australia and asked her for an estimate of the cost. She would not do this for me without for a $400.00 non-refundable deposit. In other words, I would have to commit to going before I found out how much it would cost. When I asked her why she did that, she got very snotty with me and suggested I find someone else to help me. Is that the way all travel agents do business? If so, I'm surprised anyone goes anywhere. This woman has a very bad attitude problem and is apparently not very interested in doing business. I got her name off of the Australia.com website as an Aussie Specialist, so I thought that she might be a professional. But I was mistaken.

f5c0f0fd, 2008-03-04, 05:38PM CST

Dear Brenda,

I am sorry you feel that way , but do not appreciate threats ( that you made to me by e-mail) and your untrue statements,after all the advice given to you and time spent on your behalf. ( re: Fiji and New Zealand) ( a change from Australia).

You originally contacted us a year ago about a trip to Australia. We spent over 1 and 1/2 hours on the phone assisting you. You decided to plan for 2008.

You contacted me at the beginning of Feb this year and said you had a change in plans and were going to go to Fiji and New Zealand instead at the end of December.

The real truth is you wanted someone do a huge amount of work for you without a commitment on your part , laying out very detailed flights , times schedules and demanding not being too long in any airport and including flights out of state to pickup and drop children off.

You said you were already on the Internet with accommodations in place in Fiji and New Zealand ( I gave you detailed and useful information on your choices, which by the way , we were never thanked for). You had already checked some air prices on the Internet, so you knew what prices were. You wanted all the work and research and coordination done for you on your flights ,which is one of our areas of expertise.

YOU Were advised because of the very involved and complicated itinerary , a planning deposit was required, which you originally Agreed too, but then changed your mind.

We felt because of your not very nice remarks ,including blaming us , and then saying you decided not to go because of us , by e-mail,

We advised perhaps under those circumstances we were not the best to further assist you , HARD to see where you would see that was a poor attitude. We were never "snotty" to you ( In Fact the opposite is true).

In reality you were Not willing to make a commitment although you were advised you had Nothing to lose as the deposit would be applied to your trip if you booked with us.

Because of your attitude and remarks to us by e-mail, under the

circumstances , as I said we felt and then advised you on March 3 that perhaps we were not the best agency to further assist you.

When we nicely advised that ,you became angry , sent a threatening e-mail and made your post.

Appartently Ms. Vincent did not read the Complanins. Com statement " If a court were to find that a consumer complaint

constitutes libel or defamation, that consumer would be held legally

responsible for damages to the reputation of that business. Under federal law (the Communications Decency Act), because omplaints.com does not

censor posted consumer messages or investigate them for accuracy,

Complaints.com is not legally responsible for the complaints that are posted, even if those complaints contain remarks that are defamatory.

However, this law does not protect the person who leaves the complaints from responsibility for those complaints."

2cc3a7b9, 2008-03-05, 08:52AM CST

I have worked with Elyse Rose for several months now and have had a thoroughly delightful and professional experience. It is true that she asks for a non-refundable deposit, but that deposit is credited toward the price of the trip she plans for you. As any professional knows, our time is what we sell. Travel agents get their payment from the companies that they book with, but only if the booking is completed through the agent. The deposit makes sense in this context. It winnows out those who aren't really serious about a trip and those who'd like to take advantage of the agent's time and expertise in arranging and coordinating the trip, and then book directly, effectively stealing the agent's services. When a travel agent works trips that are as extensive and complex as Elyse does, the deposit is necessary to keep her from getting burned.

I placed a deposit with Elyse after a comprehensive telephone interview with her. Over the next few months I found Elyse's advice to be insightful and consistently mindful of our desires, preferences and budget. Elyse has always been warmly professional, even when we were forced to completely reschedule the entire trip, due to a combination of weather concerns and work commitments. Moreover, Elyse has always been very responsive in communications, kept us closely apprised of the progress on our plans and promptly answered all of our many questions.

We went through 7 versions of an itinerary before we found the one that maximized our ability to see and do the things we wanted to do, allowed some time for a few business meetings and included time for friends in country. When glitches came up in the planning, we consulted and found a way to get everything into our plan that we really wanted. Elyse gently directed us when we considered bad choices, brought things to our attention that we never would have thought of, and still found a way to let us make this our trip. I don't know how many hours Elyse spent on our trip. I do know that I spent over 50 hours on my end of working with her, and I wasn't the one getting the numerous flights, accommodations, connections, rental cars and tours. Whatever she makes on this itinerary, she has earned.

We've shown the itinerary to friends that have been to Australia and friends living in Australia. They are amazed at the comprehensiveness of the planning, coordination of schedules and breadth of our planned experience. In the process, Elyse has become a trusted friend, with whom I will want to share pictures and stories when we return. I thoroughly intend to use her services again, and would be happy to answer questions about my experience with Elyse.

75bff7f8, 2008-12-10, 08:37PM CST

A Time To Travel Down Under

Prescott, AZ 86301

Date: Tuesday, 04-Mar-08 17:38:12 CST

33a9000c, 2009-08-06, 06:04PM CDT

The travel agent is clearly correct, when planning such a huge trip, is is not unheard of for the TA to request a non-refundable deposit and apply it too the trip after the client does book. I dont know of how many businesses would let you take up their time and then not look to be compensated.