Acer - Acer - Absolutely the worst Support and Product Ever!

Posted on Friday, March 28th, 2008 at 1:59pm CDT by 2e5be232

Product: Acer Travelmate 6490

Company: Acer

Location: ZA

URL: http://www.acer.com/

I bought an Acer Travelmate 6490 through Vodacom in South Africa on 6 March 2008. As soon as I switched it on, software errors after software errors occurred. I even had the Acer software return a never ending string with hundreds of errors continuously after one another. I had to disable the software to get rid of it. Two days later all of a sudden the two USB ports on the right side of the laptop disappeared. I investigated and reinstalled the drivers to no avail. After sitting a couple of hours trying to fix this I decided to re-format the laptop with the CD supplied. I consequently went and disabled the Biometric reader as it became a hindrance to me with all the restarting. I rebooted the laptop to get to the BIOS so I can boot from the CD. All of a sudden I was presented with a BIOS password which I did not set. I tried all the backdoor passwords to the Phoenix BIOS to no avail. I contacted Acer in South Africa and explained to them the problem. They could not give me an answer. They could not give me any support and kept on making excuses, saying they will phone me back. I took the laptop back to the Vodashop where I bought it and they send it to Acer. Four days later the laptop returned with the BIOS password gone, but with the USBs still not working. The Acer test results stated tested ok.

Now all Acer want to do is to fix the laptop. The laptop clearly was damaged goods from the beginning. What else is going to go wrong? I effectively have only seen the laptop for 3 days since I bought it. This is unacceptable. I work in IT. If something like this happens it clearly shows something is wrong with the hardware. When the machine boots up there is two errors stating the USB host controllers have a problem. Acer technicians did not even see this, although it is the only thing that showed when the laptop booted up to the BIOS screen. This constitutes nothing but a swop out.

I never have seen such bad service, products and attitudes. I will definably not recommend Acer to anyone ever again.

Laptop serial number: LXTNX0Z0527480149E2300

Case ID: 2529436S

67063401, 2008-09-10, 03:04AM CDT

I sympathise with you. I purchased a Acer L3600 for my daughter birthday in July this year which came with a wireless keyboard. The keyboard would not connect. After various discussionas and 3 hours on the telephone they recommended I purchased a WIRED keyboard. This worked well so on telephoning ACER in the UK again I was told that the keyboard and USB receiver needed configuring together and there were over thirty thousand combinations so would have to just sit hours pressing a button on the USB receiver and the reset button on the keyboard until they connected (no actual connect button on this particular keyboard). Four hours later and a soer hand I have still not got the keyboard working. Acer customer services say this is not their problem.

6c02b453, 2011-11-23, 04:02PM CST

Agreed. I've had nothing but problems with the Acer laptop I bought my daughter. They had it in their shop longer than we ever had it to use. I wouldn't accept an Acer product if it were given to me for free.