Rodale Press - Prevention Magazine subscription scam

Posted on Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 at 9:00am CDT by 1572aa4f

Product: Prevention magazine

Company: Rodale Press

I chose to let my subscription to Prevention Magazine lapse. Instead of discontinuing my subscription, they sent me a threatening "notice of non payment" letter and said they would turn me over to a collection agency if I didn't pay. I can't believe that this technique is even legal! I have never had this happen with any other magazine.

bc93c0ea, 2008-05-21, 05:10PM CDT

The exact thing happen to me. I paid, it so that my credit would not have a mark against it. At the time I paid, I sent a letter to cancel my subscription and reimburse me the difference. Which should be all. No, instead, I received 2 months of magazines. I have also emailed them and no response.

effb4f43, 2008-10-16, 08:47PM CDT

I too have cancelled the subcription. I keep re-sending the renewal letter to cancel and keep getting the notice. I received a threatening letter from North Shore Collection Agency to collect subcription. It's wrong to force people to subscribe and threaten with collection agency. I think it's time for class action lawsuit against the company for fraud and deception.

c0a341df, 2009-02-09, 02:39AM CST

This is not uncommon. Illustrerad Vetenskap SWEDEN did the same to me. I decided NOT to renew after a trial subscription, but they decided differently, kept sending me magazines and collection notices despite me telling on the phone that I DID NOT WISH TO CONTINUE my subscription. And charged me for late payment and refused to take away the late charges for a magazine I never wanted. It's nothing but a damn scam!

c8956e70, 2009-08-19, 01:51PM CDT

NorthShore collection agency is not a real collection agency.

Even so, for something to go to collections it has to be over a certain amount.

At the very least $100.

A $20 would NEVER be sent to a real collection agency.

c0c39663, 2010-12-08, 09:59AM CST

I am having a problem with Rodale. I agreed to purchase a book, a cookbook and a DVD, all for "4 easy payments of 9.99" plus S&H. They keep sending emails to my business email and are asking for 87.45. I'm no rocket scientist, but shipping cannot possibly be $47.49. I told them I will gladly ship back the books, etc. if they pay the shipping, no one ever responds to my emails...which I think is very unprofessional to say the least. I don't care for the bait and switch, they say it costs a certain amount and want to charge me more than double? I told them under no circumstances am I paying for anything until they correct the amount billed, or we can just do this back and forth email dance. Go ahead and mess with my credit, it's shot anyways. I haven't played my lawyer card yet, but am getting close, this is unacceptable.