whirlpool corp - whirlpool wash machine debacle

Posted on Monday, March 17th, 2008 at 11:28am CDT by Anonymous

Product: Whirlpool Duet front loading wash machine

Company: whirlpool corp

I have a Whirlpool Duet wash machine purchased in sept. 2003. 5 weeks ago the machine broke down, and after taking the rear cover off, I found the rear bearing to be ruined. THe Whirlpool authorized service representative came and took the machine apart, and found the rear outer drum to have a groove worn through and the front half or the outer drum to have several broken areas around where the door assembly connects. The rubber "gasket, seal" that fits between the door and front drum had 6 holes worn into it from the irregular movement of the drum when spinning the clothes. The 4 concrete counterweights inside the machine were also cracked, but the serviceman said they likely wouldn't cause a problem.The stainless steel basket inside the machine(where the clothes are contained during a wash cycle), has a shaft permanently attached to it, which rides on the bearing which wore out, and subsequently ruined the shaft. The basket, and outer drum front and rear halves are reportedly under a 10 year warranty, but the front rubber seal is approximately $85.00. The cost of labor is estimated to be over $400.00. Whirlpool parts told me the basket which is made by a private vendor is on backorder, and won't be available until after the 28th of March 08. The machine has been out of commission since Feb 4th or 5th. They offered me a 50% discount on the parts which are warranty items??? They are truly sorry this happened, as am I, and I'm tired of going to the laundromat, not to mention the cost of 2 bucks per load. Incidentally we do about 5 -6 loads of laundry per week. This reminds me of the 70's when a person owning a foreign car needing repairs had to wait months for the parts to be shipped over to this country. This is a joke for a $1000.00 wash machine to have this type of problem at this early stage of what its' life should be and to have Whirlpool tell me "sorry for your inconvience, and we'll offer you a 15% re-purchase discount". I don't think I'll be buying another whirlpool. I'm curious if their assembly line is shut down waiting for those parts? They must be handmade by craftsmen in parts unknown for them to take this long to be available. I can't wait for the ice to melt so I can go to the river and use the washboard again. Hell of a lot cheaper than one of the new expensive, energy efficient machines. But one has to wonder about the Green thing... if they break down so often, where does the discarded machine end up... some landfill? Thanks Whirlpool.

7cd3c06a, 2009-02-13, 03:32PM CST

Sounds familiar.

See laundryczar.blogspot.com

I feel your pain.

b0ebf916, 2010-06-07, 11:35AM CDT

I had the very same problem! This machine is horrible. I think Whirlpool should do a full scale recall on their very poorly designed machine

All buyers, beware. This machine is not at all worth it