amazon.com - amazon.com steals money!

Posted on Monday, June 9th, 2008 at 7:45pm CDT by ffecb3ea

Company: amazon.com

Location: Seattle, Wa, US

URL: http://www.amazon.com/

In April 2008 we received order from Sheila M. for Panasonic PV-GS80 MiniDV Camcorder. The product was considered new-open box because the box was not sealed by the manufacturer anymore but the product, the camcorder was never used, therefore, brand new. Before shipping it to the customer, weve taken it out of the box and checked everything was ok and that all the accessories that were supposed to be in were actually in the box. All was included; the camcorder was in a perfect condition. We packed it and shipped it to the address the customer provided us with.

After several weeks we received a complaint from the customer as well as a negative feedback on our amazon.com account. We also received an email from amazon.com informing us about the issue and requesting our action. Immediately, we logged in to our and responded to the customer, we reassured her the camcorder was in a perfect condition when we were sending it out to her. We asked her what would she like us to do in order to resolve the problem. She replied in an email, said shed like to replace the camcorder. When we tried to reach her at the phone number she gave us in the email, we found out she is not from the US, Sheila M. lives in Venezuela. She had us ship the product to a shipping company in Miami, FL and they were supposed to ship the item to Venezuela.

Our shipping policy clearly stated we do not ship outside the US therefore we are not responsible for the items in transit while being shipped outside the United States. We shipped item in a perfect condition to the address the customer provided us with. What happened after that is not our fault, we didnt choose the company, customer did, were not responsible for the item anymore.

When we tried contacting amazon.com a few days later to see what can be done about this case, they said theres nothing to be done anymore, the customer will be given a refund and we get nothing. When we were inquiring about the reason, they said we received an email on May 6th and were supposed to reply within 5 days. Failing to do so results in our loss of rights in this case, we cant do anything. When we said we did try to resolve the issue and contacted the customer, the amazon.com customer service representative told us to email A-to-Z Guarantee Program regarding this, said we should be able to work something out even though we did not respond to the email itself as long as we tried to resolve the issue.

We emailed the amazon.com immediately, explained we responded to the issue, contacted the customer and tried to resolve. We also explained our situation, said we shipped the product in a perfect condition and are not responsible for the item in transit while being shipped outside the US by an unknown shipping company. The response we got was:

Thank you for writing back to us. Sellers are protected and are not held accountable as long as they follow our guidelines specified in Participation Agreement and they respond to our inquiries in a timely manner. As previously stated, your account was debited for this particular transaction because we did not receive a response to our email that was sent to you on May 5th. Please note, the buyer is automatically eligible for the A-to-z Guarantee, whether they return the item or not.

At this time, it is too late for us to represent support for this claim, as it is closed. We will not be able to credit your account for the amount of the transaction. Please note that this is the final decision.

What happens if a merchant is unable to answer within 5 days? If hes on a vacation? Or in a hospital? And the fact that he did respond and it was by going directly to his account and answering the customers complaint is simply negligible?

We did our part, shipped item just as it was described. When we received the complaint, we responded to it, tried to resolve the issue. When we try to explain we are not responsible for whatever happened to the product on the way to Venezuela, amazon.com refunds the customer and states were not eligible for anything, not the money, not the product. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE FACTS!

HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE THEY STOLEN THE MONEY FROM ALREADY??!!!

44c71302, 2008-11-03, 09:41PM CST

Did this to me to. Screw them.

42a4b26d, 2010-08-31, 10:48AM CDT

We are in the same boat as you! They protect fraudulent buyers and blame your company for everything. After selling and delivering hundreds of merchandise and customers are happy they need to review your account, then they hold your money for 30-90 days. In between they make money on the money that is merchandise you already sold. Ebay is also bad but once you sell you get paid. Amazon is rich because they steal from the sellers and guarantee the byuers whatever they want even if they are stealing!!!!!!! No decent smaller company can survive like that!!!! In such horrible economy you have 1 company makking billions and breaking smaller ones!!!!

bc4a9b79, 2010-09-26, 08:17PM CDT

same thing happened to me. i sold 7 blu-ray movies and one person complained that the movies where bootleg,and after watching them wanted their money back,so i did the refund and amazon said they were going to hold my money for 21 days in case there more complaints,well there wasn't,and its been 2 months i never got my money for all the movies i sold witch was over 80.00 and never received my movie i gave the refund for. they just flat ripped me off,and i couldn't do anything , i tried everything. they wouldn't return my calls or my e mails.DO NOT SELL ON AMAZON THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF.

1856356e, 2010-11-19, 11:00AM CST

They did nearly Exact same thing to me too! The difference in my case is that I DID reply to the A-to-Z claim within the time limit. It didn't make any difference.

The scenario was as follows: I had a customer that posted an A-to-Z claim because a CD I sent arrived damaged. I responded to the A-to-Z claim asking the customer whether they would prefer a refund or a replacement. They stated they would prefer the replacement. I sent out a 2nd CD. I didn't hear anything back from the customer so I assume they were satisfied.

A week later I got a response from Amazon A-to-Z saying they were automatically refunding the customer!

I sent them another email and they said, sorry nothing we can do. We are refunding the customer regardless of whether they return the product!

Unbelievable.

I sent the same product twice but didn't receive either one back, and didn't receive any payment for it.

This can't possibly be legal. How can a company expect you to provide free products to its customers?

We need to get a lawsuit going over this.

1856356e, 2010-11-20, 08:13PM CST

They did nearly the exact same thing to me too! The difference in my case is that I DID reply to the A-to-Z claim within the time limit. It didn't make any difference.

Unbelievable.

1856356e, 2010-11-23, 05:44AM CST

I had an A to Z claim filed for "item damaged or not as described". The buyer claimed the item arrived damaged.

I asked the buyer if she preferred a refund or replacement. Buyer stated she preferred a replacement. I sent the buyer a replacement.

After I sent out a replacement, Amazon responds, saying they are refunding the buyer. It seems to me Amazon never even looked at the details, or they would see that I already sent the customer a replacement. They seem to have a policy of refunding any buyer who files an A-to-Z claim.

To sum up, I have sent the same item twice to the buyer. I have not received either one back. I have not been paid anything.

This is a completely absurd situation that defies belief. All attempts to email them and explain the situation are completely fruitless. (it is a bit like talking to the robot on 2001, A Space Odessey).

I ask them if I am expected to send free items to customers with no reimbursement, I merely get a form letter back in reply. Amazon's A-to-Z policy is simply a license for unscrupulous buyers to steal money, and most likely illegal. What sort of business law requires you to provide items to people and not be paid for it?

278dd40d, 2012-06-23, 12:15PM CDT

They did this to me as well.

Altho the sale was in the US. Customer got to keep the $75 item for free. Customer said the item was not in the condition I stated. It was. Rather than argue, I asked the customer to return it to me for a full refund, twice. She wouldn't return it. Instead, she opened a case against me & kept sending me harassing emails. I continued to try to work with the customer, but customer continued to harass me. Amazon would not mediate. In the end, Amazon refunded her the money, debiting my seller account and the customer got to keep a brand new photo printer....my brand new photo printer.... for free.