Banfield/Petsmart - Banfield/PetSmart Clinic

Product: dog evaluation/customer service

Company: Banfield/Petsmart

Location: Hwy 280
Birmingham, AL, 35242, US

My dog was experiencing health issues that I considered to be somewhat of an emergency and my current veterinary clinic was closed. After waiting 3 1/2 hours sitting in a very small room, I finally got to speak with the vet.

My complaints:

-Lack of professional attitude and conduct

-Did not introduce self

-Did not address my concerns

-Overwhelmed me with a seemingly endless list of "recommended" procedures (totaling $900), many of which were deemed unnecessary by my current vet

-$300 bill

-Lack of credibility. The vet informed me that Mometamax, which I already have, was not effective against yeast and insisted I buy a $30 ointment (I declined). The following monograph info. is from drugs.com concerning Mometamax: In vitro, clotrimazole exhibits fungistatic and fungicidal activity against isolates of Trichophyton rubrum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes, Epidermophyton floccosum, Microsporum canis, Candida spp., and Malassezia pachydermatis.

Candida = yeast

Overall I was very disappointed with the service. The staff seemed inept at veterinary medicine. I left with bag of meds and $300 vet bill with no real explanation of my dog's current state or prognosis.

fd437e4a, 2008-07-07, 10:16PM CDT

I agree with you completely. Most Banfields are all out for money and are very rude. They are also not very knowledgeable about veterinary medicine. As a PetSmart employee myself, I am speaking from experience. I know that I and many of my fellow employees choose other local vets and avoid Banfield like the plague.

d27cffba, 2008-10-15, 06:04PM CDT

My first experience with Banfield was a routine yearly exam/vaccination in Oct 2007. They push their services from the get-go, the wellness plan. What could be an "in and out" 30 - 45 min visit ends up being 1 1/2 or better visit at a cost of $150 - far more expensive than a local vet. I buy my dog's heartworm med online to save money. Again, inconvenienced. They refused to allow the order when called. I had to physically pick up a prescription and mail it in. It didn't matter that they did not carry the brand that I use! My opinion is this is a poor example of a veterinary clinic. I complained and received a $15 coupon in the mail that was useless. That would not even cover the cost of one of their vaccines. They are way overpriced.

48558f72, 2008-10-20, 02:49PM CDT

I've had nothing but bad experiences going there. They had estimated $2,400 to get my two dogs treated and I got them treated at another vet for $480. They also prescribed two weeks worth of antibiotics was a waste because the dogs only needed one weeks worth. I was charged $250 for those. They are unfair and I feel that they just want to get our money.

b38d3936, 2009-01-06, 05:59PM CST

Our Dog was Only 4 Months old when we signed him up. That was our first mistake. They said he was "supposedly" behind in his shots. So they gave him 4 shots. And when we brought him home he was NOT himself.

He:

-Wouldn't eat

-Wouldn't drink

-Wouldn't SLEEP

- He could barely move he supported himself by leaning on something

- & He would scream if you touched him

And after a months after we took him again to see if it was his age... It wasn't. they gave him only 1 shot and he was still in agany and they said to give him benadril(sp?). the next month we brought him to our old vet and saw the Dr. and he said "He was NOT BEHIND IN HIS SHOTS they actually gave him to many shots" ... "and the problem was they went in too deep with the needle" So we went Back to banfeild and we canceled our next appointment, so we went to our old vet and they gave him a shot... And No Agany! It was wonderful. But banfeild charged us 300$. So we are very upset with them, and we think that they are concernd only with our money. BEWARE! DO NOT GO THERE.