Sears Protection Company - No refrigerator going on 11 days

Location: 3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL, 60179, US

URL: http://sears.com/

Re: Sears Master Protection Agreement on Refrigerator

Sunday, July 20, 2008 - Called 1-800-4-MY-HOME because the refrigerator was not cooling. Spoke with Kahlan who said he was a Phone Tech. He did some basic troubleshooting (door open, seal OK, raise temperature, etc.). He said a technician would be here on Thursday, July 24, 2008. I objected. Having no refrigerator until Thursday and then possibly facing the need to order parts was unacceptable. I also explained that my husband was having surgery on that day.

Monday, July 21, 2008 - Called 1-800-549-4505, National Customer Relations number I had in my file. Spoke with Edward. We have had many problems with this refrigerator so I have a well-documented history of this appliance. I asked if a technician could troubleshoot the problem with me thereby possibly bringing the part. I was told that was not possible and that the SEARS technician has a small truck. I did, however, get the Thursday appointment rescheduled for Tuesday between 8 AM and noon.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - The technician did not arrive until after 1 PM and that is after following up with 1-800-4-MY-HOME to make sure he was coming. We were told he would call and tell us when hed arrive. That was after 12:00 PM. Had to call back because we did not get a call. He showed up after 1 PM, said it was a diffuser and that hed order the part. It would arrive Wednesday or Thursday. He said we should call service when the part arrived and ask them to expedite for Friday because of a no cool.

I called 1-800-927-7836 for a Rental authorization. I was transferred from one department to another and the average waiting time was between 10 - 20 minutes. I experienced disconnects necessitating callbacks and starting all over again with the history of the case. I was told they do not keep a log of phone calls. Finally I was told the technician had not updated the file yet. I was also told that the technician had to verify the food loss and that he would call us.

In the late afternoon I called 1-800-927-7836 and wound up getting 1-800-4-MY-HOME. They would not give me a number to get through to National Customer Relations. They did agree to transfer me. I spoke with Tom. He explained that under the terms of the agreement I should submit an itemized list of the food loss and we were covered up to $250. He also said we could rent a comparable refrigerator and that SEARS would pay ONLY for the number of days it was needed. He said that as soon as our refrigerator was repaired the rental must be returned. He gave me the name of several rental companies. He also said he would send us a letter with directions about submitting our claims. The letter has not been received as of July 27, 2008. I have email address [email protected] and a fax number 1-888-265-9865. Correspondence should be labeled Attention: Food Loss.

I repeatedly explained that was husband was having surgery on Thursday, July 24, 2008 and asked if there was any way they could expedite the part and the repair. The answer was no. As of now, assuming the part came in, we were scheduled for a Tuesday, July 29 service appointment.

We could not get a rental. Rentals are for a minimum of one month.

Friday, July 25, 2008 - Waiting for the part. Weve been living out of an ice chest. My husband had his surgery, is home and Im trying to manage his care. Not having a refrigerator has been a terrible hardship. By early afternoon the part had still not come. I called 1-800-927-7836 and spoke with Megan. She said she had to contact the service unit to find out the status and she would call back. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told there was no supervisor present.

I did not get a call back. I called 1-800-927-7836 again and spoke with Candy. She said shed check on the matter and call me back. I asked her to please escalate this matter and was told her computer was frozen and she could not give me an escalation number. She called back while I was on the phone and left a matter or fact message that the service technician ordered the wrong part and that the part should be to us by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and I should call the service unit when the part got here.

I called 1-800-927-7836 and spoke with Michael. He listened and apologized and transferred me to Jess ID #68856. She said she would expedite delivery of the part and we should have it on Monday. She gave me a number to contact her 1-800-690-5650.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 - I called 1-800-690-5650 hoping I could get an appointment for late Monday afternoon. I spoke with Jessica. She could do nothing. Asked to speak to a supervisor and was told no Executive was in. I asked that someone call me back. I did not receive a call back.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 - Sears called in PM. It was a reminder for us to call them when the part comes in.

Monday, July 28, 2008 - Message left on answering machine with a return phone number (800-469-4663). Returned call. It was a reminder for us to call as we are on schedule for Tuesday.

Tuesday, July 28, 2008 - We called Sears to confirm we were on the schedule. We were on the schedule from 1 - 5 PM. Part had NOT arrived. Called Sears to get UPS tracking number for part. Part that I was told was shipped on Friday actually went out Next Day AIR Saver on Monday morning (Tracking Number 1Z AE7 103 13 5945 073 0).

Brian the technician called in AM to check to see if we had the part.

I called UPS. Next Day AIR Saver provides delivery next day but delivery times are as late as 6:30 PM.

Brian called again at 4 PM and said hed call back

I called 1-800-690-5850 to ask why after all of the inconvenience weve experienced they couldnt at least ship it Overnight Air which would have gotten the part to us by noon. I spoke with Lynn ID#16741. Didnt know why they ship it that way. Lynn gave me the number for District Customer Relations Repair (978-777-4132). I called and spoke with Paula. She said shed have Mr. Lowder call tomorrow.

Brian called at 4:30 PM. Was working away from this geographic area. Would do everything he could to get us on the schedule for tomorrow. He did call back to confirm that we would be on Wednesdays schedule.

Wednesday, June 30, 2008 - 9:15 AM - Did not get a call confirming appointment for today. Called 1-800-4-MY-HOME. They said they would call the technician and call us back.

10:15 AM - No call back. Called again and they said the call would be sometime between now and 5 PM but could not give a timeframe.

10:45 AM - Called Mr. Lowder (978-777-4132). He said we were on the schedule and it would probably be in the late afternoon around 4 PM. I offered to send him a copy of my log of events. He gave me a fax number 1-978-750-8005.

3:30 PM - Sears Technician (Steve) arrived and replaced the diffuser. At 4:30 PM we checked the temperature and found that the temperature was still at 60-70 degrees. We called 1-800-4-MY-HOME. Warranty repairs will call us back.

No call back. My husband spoke with someone at National Customer Service and they told him that it could take up to 24 hours for the refrigerator to cool. She would put us on the schedule for tomorrow. We should call for a time.

5:00 PM - Called 1-800-549-4505. Miriam said she would transfer me to Rapid Resolution Department. Jerry in Rapid Resolution told me the soonest a technician could come was Saturday, August 2. I vented. He said having a service agreement does not guarantee when something will be fixed. He transferred me a Legal Line and I left a message.

5:15 PM - I called the 1-800-549-4505 number again. The woman listened, sympathized and said she would pass this onto either the tech recovery team at 1-800-435-6065 or One Source at 1-800-479-6351. Gabe in One Source said I should only call this number and that he had put a message out for the technician (Steve) to call us tonight.

It is unconscionable to leave someone without a refrigerator for weeks. It is even more unconscionable to be inflexible under the circumstances of my husbands illness. In good faith we purchased a service contract on our major SEARS appliances. It is discourteous to leave people on hold for long periods of time, let them experience disconnects, and be forced to start all over again with their same sad story because cases are not logged.

Most importantly, SEARS has caused my family a huge inconvenience and unnecessary stress. They have also caused me monetary damage because Ive had to make repeated trips to the supermarket and resort to bringing prepared food in for our meals. They should not be able to sell Service Agreements that will not be fulfilled in a timely manner. Its one thing to be without a washing machine, or a dishwasher for a week or better. A refrigerator, however, is critical to the health and well being of families.

As of now, this issue is open.