River District Apartments - Very bad Landlord

Company: River District Apartments

Location: 977 Indian Terrace
Rockford, IL, 61103, US

URL: http://riverdistrictapartments.com/

STAY AWAY FROM THESE APARTMENTS! SOME OF THESE LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL, AND ACTUALLY ARE. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE OWNER, MARK MERCER, DOES NOT MAINTAIN HIS BUILDINGS IN ACCORDANCE WITH CITY CODE! OFTEN HE RENTS TO LOW INCOME TENENTS WHO HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF THEIR RIGHTS. THE TENENTS SADLY REFUSE TO PAY RENT BECAUSE OF THE BUILDINGS CONDITION AND MR. MERCER HITS THEM WITH LAWSUITS, WHICH UNFORTUNATELY HE RIGHTLY WINS. WHEN CITY OFFICIALS DO INSPECT HIS BUILDINGS, HE EVEICTS THE TENENTS WHO HAVE ALLOWED SUCH OFFICIALS INSIDE HIS BUILDINGS. THE RESULT IS THAT MR. MERCER DOESN'T FOLLOW CITY CODE. WORSE, HIS PROPERTIES ALWAYS HAVE PROBLEMS WITH HEAT AND WATER. STAY AWAY FROM RIVER DISTRICT APARTMENTS!

9f7428f4, 2008-08-05, 09:08AM CDT

I was living in an apartment that he ended up purchasing from my previous cool landlord and Mark mercer became a total ass when he got this building. He started evicting people out but did it wrong. he changed locks. tried to have my dogs removed lying to animal contriol telling them they bite him. I had 14 police reports made on Mr. Mercer and wow the police actually followed through on the one where we charged him with stolen property. he is currently going through criminal proceedings for 2 counts of felony criminal trespassing and 10 different criminal misdeamors including aggravated assault with a vehicle when he tried to run over a 9 year old boy because he had words with his grandma. He has served previous time in our Illinois Department of Corrections for Theft and trespassing. I have all the details if interested.

9f7428f4, 2008-08-28, 12:57PM CDT

A followup on Mark Mercer. He recently plead guilty to Criminal Damage to Property and Battery and pretty much just got a slap on the hand. They dropped everything else on him including the theft charge I had on him. Wow some justice he will continue to do what he has been doing because he can get away with it.

a9e453a5, 2008-09-29, 06:15PM CDT

My family and I rented a home from Mr. Mercer and moved out due to the fact that he left my husband, myself and our 4 small children with no running water for an entire week and refused to fix it saying that it was our responsibility. We moved out when he said the only way he would fix it would be if we renewed our lease with him. We declined to do that, and didn't pay our last months rent. He still has our entire security deposit, which is the same as the rent, and has us in a lawsuit for the last months rent. He does not care about anyone but himself and I am hoping that with the documentation from the Health Dept that we have online and a judge that will believe in justice for a "Slumlord" that he will truly get what he deserves.

dbf5df51, 2010-03-03, 06:17PM CST

Well i moved ot of these places too, just a little while ago. Mark has lost one building to forclosure, and is loosing three more in the next two months. Also for those of you who had made police reports and nothing happened. Mark is going to trial in front of a jury March 22nd. From my contacts i have heard they are going hard, and want him to serve time. I wish and hope they take all his properties away and make him live the poor life he is in right now. Also he just picked up and put in six security camaras in aound her house so he can watch everything everyone does. Well spread the word, hope he goes to prison, and weel see how it goes.

f1d708ef, 2010-05-26, 12:27PM CDT

i currently live in his apt and he is trying to make me pay for the air conditioner getting fix. i never told him to have his friend fix it seeing how it states in my contract that they don't fix them. i will not pay and i'm def fin to find a place to stay. mark is a complete ahole and doesnt fix anything at all. NEVER RENT FROM THIS MAN EVER.

4f46dee8, 2010-07-26, 04:14PM CDT

River District Apartments and more specifically Mark Mercer are the biggest rip offs in the Rockford IL area. They make many promises and deliver few. They work hard to make life difficult for their tenants and then work even harder to make it out to be the tenant fault. Case in point: A tenant with a leaky faucet may have to wait six or even more weeks for it to be fixed. Others may be promised certain amenities only to discover after the lease is signed that the promises are false and not to be delivered on. This is just a short list of the many problems with the renter.

Attitude and physical confrontation are also known problems with Mark himself. All this boils down to a bad company, a douchebag landlord, and a Horrible place to call home! Mark is currently facing numerous criminal charges, and has been accused of sexual assault as well as physical assault on previous tenants. It is just a plain BAD idea to rent from this man or his company. Better to go to one of the more reputable properties in the area. Many can be found on Google, or Yahoo.

f548d69c, 2011-01-20, 03:19PM CST

I have...or we have a looser landlord...he comes in our rooms unannouced,does not plow in winter,the temp in the house has been as low as 54[got a pic of it]

b6b2ee3e, 2011-12-01, 09:23PM CST

Horrible Horrible Horrible!Do your research on the owner (Mark D Mercer) google tells no lies on this guy. Wish I would have researched and seen others warnings. My story seems to be the same as many others.

768cde3e, 2012-03-31, 01:20AM CDT

Mark Mercer has negatively affected lives by his misdoings. He will lie in court and use it as a tool to line his pocket. Do to neglect Im having a possible lung surgery. I have invested in a lawyer and many other expenses; to take him to court. Small claims court for $7,800 plus expense and a personal injury in the Six figures. Im making a plea to everyone who he has hurt to contact me to help. lets make this man stop hurting people. If you are interested in helping; please contact me at [email protected] Lets stop him from hurting peoples lives.. Please Please come forward.

768cde3e, 2012-03-31, 01:21AM CDT