South African Airways - SAA Traveling Woes

Product: Domestic Flights

Company: South African Airways

Location: Johannesburg, ZA

URL: http://www.flysaa.com/ /

We were booked on the SAA 424 flight from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg then on KLM 592 to Amsterdam and Aer Lingus 605 to Dublin.

The thing that wrecked the end of our holiday was the disappearance of our bags. We made the mistake of putting our bags straight through to Dublin rather than take them off in Johannesburg to put them on the KLM flight to Amsterdam ourselves.

One of the bags turned up a week and a half later with things stolen out of it and clothes it it that were not ours and the other one is still lost 2 and a half weeks later as I am writing this. At no point in time was the last carrier, which is made responsible, able to tell us where our bags were. In fact what irony that the system they swear by is the one that had the lady from baggage saying both our bags were still listed as missing and location unknown when the Aer Lingus van turned up outside our house with the first bag.

Three days ago was 2 weeks since we landed and three days after the first bag turned up. I had written to my father, who lives in Pretoria, asking him if he would go to JHB to look for the bag that was still missing and untraceable. It took him 10 minutes to find the bag there amongst of a flood of other bags condemned to the same fate as mine was. It had been opened, things had been stolen, the name tag had been ripped off as well as the label bearing the flights it was supposed to be on, gone. He then proceeded to get the bag put on the next KLM flight to Amsterdam. It has now been 3 days since then and Aer Lingus is still incapable of telling me where my bag is with their system that works.

Special thanks would go first and foremost to the South African baggage handlers who helped themselves to Christmas presents in people's bags and then leave the bags to rot. Secondly I would also love to thank the South African airways managers for not having these criminals put in jail never mind fired. And then also special thanks goes out to the airport authorities all over the world, KLM and Aer Lingus in this case, that are incapable of enforcing some kind of retrieval operation when they clearly know where the bags went missing and why.

What I would recommend for anyone flying to South Africa:

1)If you can avoid JHB and fly to CT, do it.

2)If you have to fly through JHB, make sure to take your bag off the flight you are on and see to it personally that it goes on the next flight.

3)If you can survive with a large hand luggage do it even if it means posting stuff yourself you buy on holiday.

4)Attach a name tag containing your phone number with international prefix to your bag that is very difficult to remove.

5)When the person at check-in puts the label on your bag make sure it goes on in such a way that would not be ripped open if someone were to search through your bag for valuables.

6)Don't trust anyone when they say that are doing everything possible to get your bag back because they are doing nothing other than waiting for it to turn up.

757f4847, 2008-06-01, 09:04PM CDT

BE CAREFUL!!!

IN 2007,I TRIED BOOKING THE SOUTH AFRICAN FLIGHTS ONLINE AND WAS SUCCESSFUL.

I GAVE MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER AND GOT THE CONFIRMATION DETAILS.

--YET, WHEN I SHOWED UP IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN AIRPORT, I WAS REFUSED. THEY SAID MY CREDIT CARD WAS FAULTY. IN THE END, I HAD TO BUY ANOTHER REPLACEMENT TICKETS.

--AFTER ONLY I RECEIVED MY MONTHLY BANK STATEMENT, THEN I REALIZED THAT THE AIRLINE HAD CHARGED ME FOR THE FLIGHTS THAT I DID NOT EVEN FLY.IF MY CREDIT CARDS ARE FAULTY, HOW CAN THE AIRLINES CHARGED THE FEES ONTO MY CREDIT CARD???

--I HAD TRIED TO CONTACT THEIR REPRESENTATIVE OFFICES. 4 MONTHS HAD GONE, YET NOTHING IS DONE. I TRIED TO SUE THEM THROUGH LOCAL AUTHORITIES, BUT WAS INFORMED THAT THEIR OFFICES IS CLOSED AND ANY CHARGES WILL BE FUTILE.

I SINCERELY WARNED ALL TRAVELERS TO AVOID THIS SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS.

BIG THANK YOU TO SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS FOR MAKING THE TRIP TO YOUR OTHERWISE BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY UNFORGETTABLE....

757f4847, 2008-06-01, 09:07PM CDT

BE CAREFUL!!!

IN 2007,I TRIED BOOKING THE SOUTH AFRICAN FLIGHTS ONLINE AND WAS SUCCESSFUL.

I GAVE MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER AND GOT THE CONFIRMATION DETAILS.

I SINCERELY WARNED ALL TRAVELERS TO AVOID THIS SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS.

cdba5ed3, 2010-07-22, 04:02AM CDT

I CALLED TO BOOK A FLIGHT FROM PE TO JHB ON FLIGHT SAA405 AFTER GIVING ALL INFO I WAS GIVEN A PRICE OF R808 ONE WAY . I ACCEPTED AND TOLD THE BOOKING CLERK I WILL GO PAY IN CASH AT THE AIRPORT JUST AFTER WORK , I WAS THEN TOLD SAA CHARGE R200 EXTRA IF PAID IN CASH , A SURCHARGE ?????? IF ONE PAYS BY CREDIT CARD IT COST SAA 5% IF I PAY CASH THE DEPOSIT FEE IS ONLY 1% , SO NOW INSTEAD OF R808 I MUST PAY R1008 , SAA YOU ARE A RIPPOFF . SO PEOPLE IF YOU DONT HAVE A CREDIT CARD YOU WILL BE RIPPED OFF BY PAYING CASH . I SUPPOSE WITH ALL THE SAA STAFF BEING CAUGHT WITH DRUGS AND THEY CANT LINE THEIR POCKETS NO MORE WITH DRUG MONEY SAA IS GOING TO S...... OR HELP THEMSELVES FROM THE PASSENGERS . ABSOLUTE DISGRACEFULL SERVICE FROM SAA . I FOR ONE WILL NEVER FLY SAA AGAIN AND ALL HONEST SOUTH AFRICANS PLEASE DONT FLY SAA