2002 Ford Taurus Coil Springs

Posted on Monday, January 7th, 2008 at 8:27pm CST by ce46e182

Company: 2002 Ford Taurus Coil Springs

To whom it may concern.

Severla weeks ago the right front coil spring on my 2002 Ford Taurus SES broke in the middle of the night. Hearing about the recall / warranty on the 1998 - 2001 Taurus', I contacted my Ford dealer about the problem, only to be informed that the recall does not apply to my 2002 Taurus. After spending the weekend replacing the front coils, I had the front end aligned. When leaving a restaraunt later the night, I hit a pot hole in the parking lot. Hearing what sounded like a piece of ice, I checked the right rear of the car, removed some ice and continued on. The next day after hearing the noise some more, I discovered that the right rear coil spring had also broken. Once again, I spent another Saturday repalcing coil springs on my Ford Taurus. When the rear coil spring broke, it created a groove on the inside of the right rear tire, (in which I just ordered a replacement for).

I have read many reports of coil spring problems on the 2002 Ford Taurus. Eventually they will have to do something about it.

Thanks

43e6f48d, 2008-08-29, 02:00PM CDT

i HAVE HAD MY REAR COIL SPRINGS GO OUT ON MY 2001 FORD TAURUS IF MORE PEOPLE COMPLAIN TO FORD BY CALLING 1-877-669-6877 THEY WILL EVENTUALLY PUT A RECALL HOPE THIS HELPS.

7ef4ad30, 2008-09-04, 04:18PM CDT

My daughters

Taurus has had to have all 4 replaced!

0a370d37, 2008-09-06, 11:38PM CDT

Approximately 12/07, while backing out a her parking space, the left front coil broke and speared the front tire with a bang. My wife called me to tell me what had happened and that she wasn't able to install the spare tire as the broken coil spring was sticking out enough that if the spare tire was bolted on tight - it too would have been speared by it! A tow truck was required to get it and take it to my home. Because the car had over 100K miles, I decided to also replace the strut as well - since it needed to come out in order to replace the coil spring. Of course, I also had to replace the speared tire.

Approximately 8 months later, while inspecting the condition of the rear brake shoes, I noticed that BOTH rear coil springs were broken and the left side broken coil spring was in the process of gouging a groove into the inner sidewall of the tire! As a result, I had to replace BOTH rear strut/coil spring assemblies and replace the badly gouged tire!

I plan to change out the one remaining coil spring (right side/front) which I haven't changed yet; hopefully before it ruins the tire at that corner of the car!

I have driven Fords all my life, but for Ford not to stand up and correct this issue doesn't set well with me.

0c154cf1, 2002-01-01, 05:34AM CST

1-10-2009

My front coil spring also broke on my 2002 Taurus. Hearing from the tow truck driver that Ford had problems and Taurus were on recall for the coil springs, I called the Ford dealer and was told that it was not a recall but an extended warranty on the coil springs up to 2001. Hearing from family and friends that it was NOT in the 'norm' for a coil spring to break, I called Ford customer service and was again told that it only included Taurus's to 2001. After two new coil springs, two new struts (the breaking of the coil spring ruined the drivers side strut), two new ball joints, a new tire (also ruined my two month old BRAND NEW tire) and another wheel alignment! Grand total: $1500.00. Evidentally the problem with Ford Taurus coil springs breaking goes beyond 2001. What a rip!

0884c215, 2009-09-22, 07:37PM CDT

Same thing happened to me...I own a 2001 Ford Taurus which I purchased brand new. It has less than 70, 000 miles and the rear springs completely rotted out. The service station advised me that I shouldn't even drive the car home because the spring could puncture the tire. It cost $850 to replace the springs and the struts. Ford recalled the front but not the back. This is a safety issue and Ford should recall the back as well as the front springs.

cb0babab, 2009-10-08, 07:52PM CDT

Whining here does no good.

File a complaint with NHTSA!

cc5caebb, 2009-12-28, 09:22PM CST

hey, same thing happened to me xmas day, 2002 taurus se model, went to drive out the drive and big noise, part of the spring came off and slashed the tire, ford sucks, i called today the 28th dec/09 asked about recall they said no recall must just be my car?? yeah right, seems like taurus are notorious for this??

d1d7f1cf, 2010-01-27, 03:36PM CST

2000 taurus all 4 springs broke

ef5d67cd, 2010-03-23, 11:52AM CDT

My 2002 Ford Taurus SES had the same problem last week with the front coil spring breaking and also breaking the stabilizer bar and puncturing my brand new tire. I contacted the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Association) via an internal office they have, ODI (Office of Defects Investigation) and filed a complaint report. There is an ongoing open investigation and the more people that report the problem the more likely that Ford will have to extend the recall and so far they have almost 400 complaints and are investigating. The phone number and all info on the investigation can be found at the the NHTSA website. The ODI number to file your complaint is 1-888-327-4236. They will ask you what happened and your vin # and give you confirmation number.

Good Luck!

Fellow Taurus Owner

1904a724, 2012-03-29, 11:26AM CDT

I just forwarded my luck to them since they will not do anything about it I gave them my luck . Like I always said wahat comes around goes around . my was also a 2002 Ford taurus and this is the second person that this has happened to in our family now....