Reef Playacar operated by Interclubs Hotels & Resorts - Reef Playacar Playa del Carmen BEWARE!!

Posted on Sunday, January 6th, 2008 at 1:19am CST by 12474ebb

Product: All Inclusive Resort

Company: Reef Playacar operated by Interclubs Hotels & Resorts

Location: Av. Xaman-Ha y Retorno Sayil
Playa Del Carmen Playacar, Qu, MX

URL: http://www.thereefplayacar.com/en/

This hotel is on the downward slide. Watch out 4 the snakes! The Concierge pushed us for a tour of the club - a timeshare scam, upon our arrival, after 13 hours of traveling. When we refused to sign a commitment the day of the timeshare meeting, Max, a manager for the marketing company, treated us rudely. We booked some tours with a Reef staff member. Alan scammed us out of several hundred USD, and I was unable to take my son fishing, one of the reasons we went to Mexico. I found out that even though Alan wore a Reef shirt and nametag, he did not work for the hotel. No one would admit to whom he worked for. The marketing company or travel agents upstairs from the main lobby will try to scam you any way possible. 4 nights out of 8, we had no hot water for bathing, the 1st night our tub plug was broken and it took 2 hours just to get someone to come look at it. The last 3 nights of our stay, 1 of our rooms had sewage water leaking into the tub stall from the bathroom above. The electrical wiring is also scary, I feel the resort is a firetrap. The equipment that is included is subpar at best. The boogie boards were all torn and falling apart. The food at Chula Vista is pretty good the first few times you eat there but with very little change in the menu, it becomes less than favorable. All 4 of us got very sick from the food. My 60-year-old mother is still vomiting after 2 days at home. The Manager Rafael is unprofessional and will promise you the world, all lies, do not expect to be compensated for any inconvenience. I received a free massage certificate that did not cover the total cost of the massage. The hotel wanted me to sign a waiver promising no legal action against the hotel. Pick another resort!

Eva C., 2013-05-16, 12:50PM CDT

Thanks for the warning, unfortunately, the economy in Mexico relies heavily on tourism, therefore, The salespeople in Mexico use high-pressured sales tactics to to ensure that their sales occur on a one-day only basis so that the client does not have time to properly research the company. They are often successful because the clients are on vacation, have let their normal guard down, and do not have time to make an informed decision. One would think that the fraudulent sales practices would inhibit the resort?s ability to sell because it would tarnish their reputation, however, most timeshare consumers do not plan in advance to buy a timeshare. By the time that most clients find out that they have been scammed, they are outside of their 5 day cancellation period, and are not sure how to approach cancelling a timeshare in a foreign country. I suggest you to read these articles from Mexican Timeshare Solutions on how to avoid being scammed in Mexico: