Borders Books - Unprofessional

Company: Borders Books

Location: Borders Customer Service 100 Phoenix Drive
Ann Arbor, MI, 48108, US

URL: http://bordersstores.com/

On Wednesday, December 26th, 2007 we visited the Borders Bookstore on 76th street in Greenfield, WI. It was approximately 2:00 pm.

My son, Max, had to use the bathroom. He went ahead of me to the men's restroom. When I got near the door, he was coming out of the bathroom in tears. He had slipped and fell on the wet floor in the men's room. His entire left side was soaking wet with urine and feces. He was crying. There was no wet floor sign there to indicate that he should be extra careful. His clothing stunk, so I had to remove his shirt and just have him wear his jacket that I had been carrying. I had to ask an employee for a bag to put the soiled shirt in.

My husband immediately reported the incident to Monica, a store employee. To our surprise, she seemed amused at the situation. She smiled and began to laugh when she saw our soaking wet son standing there crying.

My husband took Max to the van, while I waited to speak to a manager. He came out of the men's room and asked if he could help me find something. I answered, "no, my son is the child who fell in your restroom." He said "oh, I didn't realize there was an accident. All I was told was that the bathroom needed to be cleaned."

I proceeded to fill out an incident report with Mr. Winter. He said he would pass the information to his Coorporate office and get it on file. He said he would also forward the information on to Todd Smith, the general manager of that particular store.

Since that date, we have not heard a word from Borders. My husband has placed multiple phone calls to the store itself, as well as the Corporate office. Finally, after several phone calls, he was told that the claim was submitted to their insurance company. This is all we know. We have received no phone calls from the insurance company or anyone for that matter, to let us know what is going on.

We are extremely dissapointed at the lack of professionalism they've displayed (starting with Monica and up to this point), as well as the lack of follow-up to this incident.

e31c6b5f, 2008-12-17, 12:00AM CST

I'm sorry that you didn't get a lack of follow-up to the incident, but I just want to say that sometimes the employees are not immediately aware of a situation in the bathroom. No one would've known to have put the wet floor sign. Also, and I'm not kidding, some customers actually throw feces on the wall and pee and stuff. You get a lot of certifiables who hang out in the cafe and think that sort of thing is alright.

27e71c12, 2010-08-11, 06:13PM CDT

What did you want them to do? Pay for dry cleaning? I agree Monica was rude, but they can't help it if a disgusting customer urinated and defecated on the restroom floor and no one told them until your son found it. You only said your son was upset and had soiled clothing. If he'd been hurt I can understand wanting compensation for medical bills and such, but since he wasn't, what more do you want? Sounds like the manager did everything he could.