when cash is not legal tender

Posted on Sunday, February 24th, 2008 at 2:33am CST by 7a0bc1d8

Product: ryanair reservations

Company: Not Available

Location: Ryanair Customer Standards Corporate Head Office Dublin Airport Co Dublin Ireland
Dublin, Co, IE

URL: http://www.ryanair.com/

I recently tried to make a reservation with Ryanair to fly from Dublin to London Gatwick on March 12th 2008. First I found they do not accept debit cards such as Laser or Maestro, I was told they only accept Visa or MasterCard credit cards, and they charge a 4.00 euro handling charge on these. Not wishing to pay a handling charge, I said I would pay cash, only to be told they do not accept cash for advance bookings.

This means that the credit card handling charge is not an optional extra but a compulsory charge levied on all reservations and which the customer has no choice but to pay, I believe their website should show this as a standard charge for all reservations and not try to conceal it as an option.

Also, I would like to question their refusal to accept cash, the euro is the legal tender of Ireland and I cannot see why any company operating in Ireland should have the right to opt-out of accepting it. It is obvious they want to force every customer to pay the credit card handling charge, this is most certainly unethical and must surly be illegal.